• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Loading Film into Camera

k,

I now have a k-3 camera and 16mm film for it:

Preferred:
HOW do I go about loading it(its, clearly, not my second time)?

OR:

Not preferred: Do I get a pro to do it for me? Where, for the cheapest, can I find this person in the Burbank area(or slightly out of it)?

I should point out, I dont want to load the film to start making a movie with crew/script/intention,
I just want to play around with it to test out the camera and the film..

MANY THANKS!

Get a strip of old film, and follow this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5m4ocRuODY

What size roll of film did you get, btw? Your K3 should hold 100' spools internally, so if you picked up a 400' reel you'll need to split it up. (Several places in your area have this as a service)

Edit: If I still lived up there I'd show you myself. Surely you must know someone who knows a bit about loading, being in Burbank?

Last edited:
awesome man, thanks! im downloading the vid now :)

ve actually only been here a little over a year, and I JUST met a producer at the synagogue i go from time to time..

the film i bought was a lot off of ebay; 9 cans, close to 2000' total. so each can has different amounts; the most is a full 400', the smallest is about 47 feet, so i was planning on using this roll first that way i dont have to worry about how/where to cut it and if i somehow screw up, its only 47' ;)

k, another question:

the camera is already winded up(i assume, it wont go counter clockwise anymore, but i didnt do this), but i dont know how to get things moving like in the vid. does film have to be already installed for it? ive pressed every button...

Thanks as always!

Back