• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lightworks NLE

Hey,

Has any one tried the open source beta of LightWorks (non linear editor)? Its been used to edit some pretty high profile stuff such as 'The kings Speech' and 'Shutter Island'. It looks very interesting as its FREE and still being developed with. From what I understand it will stay free and when its polished and complete they are going to make money from plugins/upgrades.

Im going to try this at some point when I get time, but just wondering if any one has some thoughts on this? If it works out for them could be bad news for the Big 3 (now 2? lol).

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Ah Lightworks my editing system of choice. I just upgraded to the Pro version today for 60 bucks so I'm quite pleased. I will admit that i was frustrated at first by Lightworks Interface but after a couple days i was cutting together a good sequence. I think if you watch the 10 free tutorials you'll get the hang of it in no time. You won't want to use anything else. If you ask me the system bears kind've a little resemblance to Premiere so if you're a premiere user you'll learn it a little faster. I was a premiere user for a couple years and made the switch to Lightworks after i got a console. Thats another thing the console! Greatest editing console i have ever worked with! If you have the money get a console. If you don't have the money to buy one look on ebay for a used MK1 console. You can pick those up on ebay pretty cheap, i got my MK1 on ebay for 50 bucks including shipping. If you can't get your hands on any console get a Lightworks keyboard. Its grouped really well and makes editing a little faster even without the console. Also have to add read the quick tips guide they have on Lwks.com it'll help you grasp things a little bit easier. One thing you can also do if you're switching from a different system is change the way the keyboard layout is. I think you can change it to be layed out like Final Cut, Avid and Lightworks. Another thing i should add is the forum. If you have any questions just ask it there and they're back with an answer in like a half hour. Well thats my 2cents :yes:

Back