Lightworks NLE - free AND pro - maybe it is to hardcore for this forum;).

Only came across this a few days ago although it is kind of old news. Did a general search for Lightworks on Indytalk and very little was returned. This is kind of surprising, maybe people don't realise the significance.

Lishtowks is being release free/open source. It is a top end/prod editing solution which has been around as long as Avid and is loved by top editors. It has been used for big budget/Oscar winning films (shutter Island, The Kings Speech, Pulp Fiction, Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy...).

I have downloaded it and it is very different to Avid/FCP/Sony Vegas. If it was new people may be talking about a paradigm shift. Rather than having a predefined general layout you start with a blank canvas - a Desktop you can put various things on. In actual fact you have as may desktops as you like (they are called rooms).

The other thing people seem to like is its rock solid approach to saving - basically you do not have to! It auto-saves every keystroke and it it does crash (which apparently on the production version is very rare) it restarts within 15 seconds with your project open and nothing lost.

Strangely enough most of the complaints I have found are about it requiring a rather high spec PC for open source software (this is top end editing software and the spec is a lot less than Sony Vegas) - this is pro software what do you expect. I think it is a lower spec than Cinerela.

The other complaints are about not having a Linux Mac OS X version - we are at beta stages of a software that was originally windows. give them a change- I think they want to get the Windows version sorted before porting.

Just to end up I think it is worth mentioning a couple of things. It seems to support a lot of high end formats like RED and the collaboration features are second to non (I cant quite work out if you need to buy extra software to do this bit...). You can have multiple people editing and share the same media/timelines etc. The way it works is one person owns each timeline and can pass it to another. Everyone can see all edits to all timelines in near real time.

I think it may even do more in real time then FCP.

Not sure why more people are not talking about it here, maybe they think because it it aimed at feature films it is too hardcore;).

This was written in a bit of a hurry but would be interested in if people have tried it/what they think.

Here are a few links.

Main website - http://www.lightworksbeta.com/
Demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCDFfXUcGk
Why Open Source - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpf-ZR4X5oI
Fairly detailed article - http://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/lightworks/1

Ben

An editor friend of mine (who worked on Monsters amongst other things) is very excited about it.

How are its effects, transitions, and so on? And does it have decent color correction? Having shelled out for Colorista a while ago, there's a certain "cold dead hands" issue there...

I did want to try Lightsource for Linux. Meself, Im a Linux devotee and I'm sold on Cinelerra. Im getting better at using Cinelerra and getting comfortable w/ it. It does not have all the gee whiz plugins, but it has the basic tools to do most anything I can think of I want.

An editor friend of mine (who worked on Monsters amongst other things) is very excited about it.

How are its effects, transitions, and so on? And does it have decent color correction? Having shelled out for Colorista a while ago, there's a certain "cold dead hands" issue there...

There are some transitions and I believe the colour correction is quite good. Personally I only have once used anything more sophisticated than a dissolve. I believe it is good for basic grading but if you want to go high end book a grading facility. I don't think it is suited to flashy corporates, its more for editing more traditional story based films. I think the argument is if you want to get flash you don't tend to use a video editing program, you use something like After Effects. Apparently Premier is very good on the flashy effects side but don't think many feature films (if any) have been edited using it.

However TV as well as film has been edited with LW , so its not just for Features.

Ben

You probably found my few posts,
Truth is, I have it, installed it and have yet to get past the first screen. It doesn't work like anything I know (which is limited to adobe stuff) A primer would be good.

I just upgraded to win7 so I dont have it installed anymore.. might crack it back open though..

You probably found my few posts,
Truth is, I have it, installed it and have yet to get past the first screen. It doesn't work like anything I know (which is limited to adobe stuff) A primer would be good.

I just upgraded to win7 so I dont have it installed anymore.. might crack it back open though..

The is now a quick start guide and a user guide in the download section of there website - and a few tutorials on YouTube.

I managed to put a couple of clips on the timeline without too much trouble but it kind of reminds me of Blender. Blender is a extremely powerful and productive 3D modelling tool but when you open it you have not a clue what to do.

Lightworks is designed for professional rather than casual use. This type of software often has a steep learning curve but once you get over that allows you to work extremely quickly.

Read the creativecow article. It seems difficult to find pro editors who have used it who will say a bad word about it.

Ben

Its windows only currently, whey did you download it;). Not sure if anyone doing professional video editing would use PCC.

Ben

No, it runs on intel OSX... PPC is a left behind technology due to the fact that motorola couldn't keep up with Apple's performance demands - which is sad as the technology was much better than intel's long data pipeline strategy.

For what its worth, "Knightly is pro".. so at least one pro is still hooked on ppc.

Thanks! I can feel the love! The open source announcement of this made me really excited, I was super disappointed when the release drove the nail into the coffin of my waning hardware :(

No, it runs on intel OSX... PPC is a left behind technology due to the fact that motorola couldn't keep up with Apple's performance demands - which is sad as the technology was much better than intel's long data pipeline strategy.

There doesn't seem to be an OS X beta download?

It definitely looks interesting, but I won't be switching platforms just to try it out… will definitely give it a go once it comes to OS X.

You're right, I must've downloaded the windows version for posterity.. I do that ever since Pro Tools Free went away.

Per the lightworks e-mail I received from them:

Platform Support
We are still receiving questions regarding OS support for Lightworks. Currently, Lightworks runs on Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, and Windows XP 32-bit. We are looking to port it to Linux and OSX, but this won’t happen until late 2011.

Minimum Specifications
These are the minimum recommended specifications for running Lightworks optimally:
A PC computer with Intel Core Duo, Intel Xeon, or AMD processor
2 GB of RAM (3GB recommended)
A PCI Express graphics card with 256MB memory or higher
A display with 1024 x 768 resolution or higher (1440 x 900 or higher recommended)
Windows XP Professional SP2 or Windows 7 (32 bit or 64bit)
QuickTime 7.6.6 or later
100 MB of disk space required to install Lightworks
Dedicated media hard drive (7200rpm or higher)

Hey, thanks for the tut link...
Though, I just plunked down the cash for a CS5 production premium upgrade so I'm somewhat disinclined to use a free product that might prove my expense was a waste! however, does it have sound mixing buses, that would be cool..

Back