Lightweight editor

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
What is a good lightweight editor I can run on an older comp (6mb ram, i3)?

Just need basic editing functions to cut stuff together to music. A bonus would be flexibility with effects like making something look like it was shot in super 8, or adding scratches, grain, filters, etc.

Thanks for the help.

PS. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CC (After Effects etc.). I am not an editor tho, and find it cumbersome and daunting because I never really got to learn it. And stupid Adobe does not include "Essentials" software in the CC!!!! That pisses me off but I digress. ;)

I can upgrade my ram to 8 or 16 btw.

And I checked out DaVinci Resolve but this comp will not handle it. No way. Since not an editor don't really want to spend $$$$ on an editing comp.

I tried editing videos with blender once but didn't really had much luck. I guess the interface is way more "3D editor" then "video editor".

Anyway, I don't have a fancy graphics card in my computer and I run Linux, so I can recommend Shotcut (https://www.shotcut.org/). It's also supposed to work on Windows. It's lite and can do quite a lot.

If you continue to use Blender, I'd like to hear how you go.

So far so good. For basic editing I think it will work. Most people complain about a steep learning curve with keyboard shortcuts and such, but the good part is, I was never trained on any particular editor, so I would have a learning curve with any. As far as starting from scratch, it's intuitive so far.

I'll let you know how it goes, when I actually get to editing a project.

An open mind, and the willingness to spend some time and energy to learn a new thing, separate those who do get far from those who don’t.

Glad to see that the OP apparently belongs to the former category. No matter what obstacle he might encounter while using Blender for a project, he can rest assured that I will be more than happy to help him out.

Cool, thanks! I need to check out those tutorials also.

You're welcome! I can recommend the Blender Frenzy channel, as well as Mikeycal Meyers YouTube tutorials on video editing with Blender. They are both superb.

Also check out the following add-ons:

VSE Quick Functions
VSE Transform Tool
VSE Quick Titling

They open a box of chocolates — metaphorically speaking — for us video editors.

Back