Lighting Question

Alright. I'm taking the plunge into film, and I've got a few things worked out as far as gear. But next on my to-stress-about list is lighting. I'm all for getting what you pay for, but considering this is my first foray and don't intend on doing film as a business thing full time, I don't want to invest in things I'm not particularly get much use out of for some time. So what I need is some budget lighting ideas. I've seen some things floating around about using halogen work lights, etc. and that's more or less my price range at the moment. Also, should a three-light setup be mostly what I need? I've hung around with photogs in my journalism stuffs, and that's the consensus, however none of them are in film primarily, most work with stills.

I'm planning on doing some outdoor shooting and keeping indoor scenes intimate, so that might help as far as direction of advice should go.

The question's been asked a gazillion times on IT, and the answer is always the same:

A skilled lighting person can make a handful of cheap worklights look like a million bucks. Conversely, an amateur can have access to a pro lighting package and your footage will still look like crap.

So, unless you can afford an experienced lighting person who has their own gear, you may as well just buy the worklights.

Well.

Honestly, that's about what I figured about it. Sorry for asking redundant questions. Just wasn't particularly sure how to word the search. Given that I'm in a rural area at the moment, I seriously doubt there's anyone with that kind of equipment, let alone experience. Thus, I'm kinda getting to be a one man show these days. (I even tell jokes. Try the veal. Tip your waitress.)

But yeah, about to do some playing around and seeing what I can get to work. Short of, you know, an iPhone screen :P

Thanks though! Help is always appreciated.

And cookies. I appreciate those too. :D

Not sure how helpful it was, but like so many aspects of filmmaking it all comes down to the skill of the craftsman, rather than the equipment itself. I'm a one-man show myself, in a much more rural area than you :) so I can relate. I started out using halogen floods and clamp lamps, and spent years (decades, really) learning how to use them properly (and I'm still learning something new on every shoot).

Good luck.

But yeah, about to do some playing around and seeing what I can get to work. Short of, you know, an iPhone screen :P

I haven't tried an iPhone screen, but iPad screens do work and have been used in professional studios for lighthing. This isn't the most cost effective solution but obviously it can have multiple uses

Goes to show there's some truth in every ounce of sarcasm ;)

Interesting though. I'll be looking into that. Seems like it'd be a cost-effective way of working in an intimate/indoor setting.

I ran with worklights and clamp lights for many years... they work like champs. Just give yourself more time to get them looking right as they are "messy" lights (lots of spill, not much control over where the light goes at all). You can make barndoors using the plans over at http://www.coollights.biz for free (hardware store for the metal and screws and bolts + springs for attaching -- then ENGINE paint for matte black spray paint to coat them with -- or Grill paint, these types of paint will actually hold up to the heat).

Learn to light with these, it'll make life so much easier when you move up to "Real" lights... as you'll be used to working around the limitations of the worklights. Add some black foil from http://www.filmtools.com and you're good to go. A gel kit from filmtools wouldn't hurt either. I use the Master location gel pack... every thing you need is in there.

Goes to show there's some truth in every ounce of sarcasm ;)

Interesting though. I'll be looking into that. Seems like it'd be a cost-effective way of working in an intimate/indoor setting.

I've used the iPad app, too. Somehow ended up shooting at night in a cemetery with a truck full of gear and no power to tap into. Battery-powered LED light (this thing) duct-taped to a light stand, and an iPad in my hands for fill - best we could do under the circumstances, and didn't come out all that shabby either. Not ideal, but it did the job... and many times that's good enough.

Btw, you can change the intensity of the light being emitted, as well as the hue/colour.

Your learned skills with lighting is going to be more about being resourceful than owning the perfect kit - 'cos you'll never have 100% of what you really think you need.

What's your budget, btw? This is a fairly cheap entry into lighting (3-way CFL lights - link), and you can get different colour-temp bulbs at home depot. I have a similar set that I still drag around with me, as part of a larger kit - but I started out with 'em.

Something very important tokeep in mind, also, is that lighting is more about where you allow light to be, rather than just aiming a few bulbs at something. Different ways to block & control light will also become a very important toolset to learn about. Meh, I'm ramblin' now. Hope some of that helped. :blush:

I've used iPhone flashlights in the past when I've simply had nothing else (ie outside no power, or similar). I've used flashlights to do all sorts of effects and gags. I've worked with a very experienced local DP who has mentioned to me how he used to sometimes use a flashlight of his for close ups on some super low-budget gigs where there was simply no lamps available.
He then proceeded to magic arm the same flashlight over an insert shot we were doing.

It's all about the skill, not the tools. Of course, the better tools, the easier it is to craft greatness, but it really comes down the skill of the artist. I saw a BTS shot of Breaking Bad (not sure if it was on here or not) where they were using Home Depot worklights as a single source in the scene.

Oh, I see what you did there :lol:

@Knightley - I'm a bit of a DIY-er (woodworking, among other things), so that's quite possibly an epic win. That and I happen to know a ton of people with scrap wood lying around. Kudos.

@Zensteve - You sir. YOU SIR. Have made my life easier. I've been prowling Amazon for something exactly like that. Given I'm borrowing most of my stuffs (Vid/audio recorders) and already set myself up with editing software (Yeah, I'm a Mac. And a music nut), my budget's flexible. I'm shooting for the $500-1000 range for just about everything put together for the actual production, but as with everything, subject to change without notice.

So question to you guys who used the iPad/iPhone LEDs. LEDs are a tad harsh. I'm assuming that using reflection would soften it, but would...say...passing it through a filter (cloth, etc) work for locations where the a softbox/reflecting source wouldn't be possible? I say that because not idea =/= impossible. :P

Back