Life in the 23rd Century

sfoster

Staff Member
This is a funny blog I wrote for another website a while back.. but when submitted they never even replied to me or bothered to read it.

So I will post it here instead .. broken up into multiple posts since there is a 5 image limit

BEHOLD THE FUTURE
Life in the 23rd Century (According to the 5th Element)

cityView.jpg

The good news is that you can still catch a glipse of the sky, maybe even a star or two on a clear summer night.
The bad news is that the buildings only have a couple of elevators, and the wait time is forever. (but hey, you can always take the stairs!)

Big Brother 2.0

police-1.jpg

The police force is well-lit and oppresive, but scoff at the notion of safety.
Body armor has made amazing advances, but the police leave their mouths exposed, which is difficult to explain. That seems peculiar indeed, until you notice the giant codpiece these guys are sporting. Go on, check that baby out. Clearly someone here has a fascination with fellatio, and it isn't me. Okay, it could possibly be me, but you have to admit a codpiece like that would fit nicely into any penis's wardrobe.

Computers Still Suck

computerUI.jpg

Even in the future, software design is terrible, and computers are still frustrating to use.
Consider this program, in .5498'th of a second, it can tell you all the details of exactly who you're looking at, or even what building or car.
In spite of this, it cannot tell the difference between Milla Jovovich and a tractor trailor. Press a button for person or vehicle.

Don't expect a touch screen phone

house_phone.jpg

Korben Dallas is talking here on his cordless home phone. It's docking station is in the back corner of the room.
Seriously, he still has a landline. Not a single person uses a cell phone throughout the film, it's the weirdest thing. No ringtones, either.

Chef is no longer an occupation

chicken.jpg

Delicious food is created and cooked instantly! I recommend the chicken, I hear it's good.
Sadly this doesn't apply to pets, and if you forget to feed your cat it will die.

High Fashion

cherry.jpg

In the future, it's not just the buildings that have gotten taller. Popped collars have risen to new heights as well.
Here we see Mr. Zorg. This guy is ballin so hard, his office literally narrates everything as he eats it. If he gets some water, it says water. If he eats a cherry, it says "A Cherry."
Come to think of it, that's kind of annoying. You don't want to be around this guy when he grabs a bushel of grapes and starts popping them in his mouth one at a time.

Snail Mail Gets an Upgrade

nycmail.jpg

I understand the future can seem mystifying. There are big questions out there, like what will become of the internet?
Fortunately 5th element has answered that question for us. Instead of relying on wireless information technology, such as email, the entire city has built a literal series of tubes. Yes, they use a series of tubes and standardized envelopes to communicate among one another.
This is where Korben finds out he was fired by Zorg, which is supposedly a setback. In reality he already lost his license, had his car shot full of holes, and tore the computer out of the dashboard. Actually that would be pretty amazing if he just kept on trying to work as a cabbie the next day.

Don't Expect a Cell Phone

police_phone.jpg

There is a cord on that phone!! It's attached to the wall. Holy crap, not even the government has cell phones.
Also, I really want to see what a female's cop uniform looks like. Do they still have the codpiece?

Robot Bartenders

bartender.jpg

This is the only robotic intelligence we see in the entire film.
A robot bartender? The terrifying part comes when you're ready to leave, and he slides out his "breathalyzer" for you to blow into.

I just never "got" this movie, and I love me some scifi in any stripe or flavour. :no:

Everyone just seems to love it, though. :bag:

You submit to Cracked, or similar?

I just never "got" this movie, and I love me some scifi in any stripe or flavour. :no:

Everyone just seems to love it, though. :bag:

You submit to Cracked, or similar?

Yeah Cracked. Never will try to write or submit anything to them again.
They could have at least told me 'no' or it's not funny or something.

And yeah I really liked the film, in spite of it making little sense.

So why don't you give "The Fifth Element" the "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" treatment?

For those who don't know, Woody Allen "took the Japanese action film "International Secret Police: Key of Keys" and re-dubbed it, changing the plot to make it revolve around a secret egg salad recipe."

It's actually pretty funny considering it was done in 1966.

Foster, this is hilarious. The Milla Jovovich thing had me laughing. Oh, and like Zensteve mentioned, you should submit to Cracked. I'm sure you could come up with some funny stuff.

@ Zensteve

Same here. The movie just feels like a mess to me.

Foster, this is hilarious

Thanks man. After having sat on this thing for like a year, it's great to see you fine folks enjoying it at last :)

Personally it's one of my all time favorite films. Quite peculiar since I'm such a stickler for things, but this film made no attempt to take itself seriously and so I think that gives it a pass.

Plus I'm a big mila jovovich fan.. Her agent will be contacted once my budgets explode ;)

You're welcome! Perhaps you should start a site of your own. Something similar to Cracked... I dunno. Some strange movie/music/literature mockery type thing.... or something :bag:

I don't like the film. Not gonna lie. But it was nice to see someone throw humor into a genre that always seems so serious, as you mentioned.

Back