industry Life after Pi

Wow,

Insane... So hard to imagine putting in all that work only to be laid off. But then again, it is the job of dreams. I guess it is fickle to begin with. They have the same issue in the video game business with overtime for little pay.

Here is another documentary about working in the movie industry which is very disturbing. The industry work day has gone from 8 hours, to 10 hours, to 12 hours...to 20 hours. I have experienced this myself. How about you. The documentary is called "WHO NEEDS SLEEP".

Last edited:
Wow,

Insane... So hard to imagine putting in all that work only to be laid off. But then again, it is the job of dreams. I guess it is fickle to begin with. They have the same issue in the video game business with overtime for little pay.

imagine the director that put you out of business with all his scene changes... not even acknowledging you when he won the oscar.
Did i understand that right how it went down with ang lee ? yikes.

As far as the sleeping stuff.. its sad that you have to regulate it because there are circumstances that you would want to work longer and as soon as you start regulating stuff with bureaucracy you start taking away peoples liberty to make those decisions. Clearly though when the studio organization does not self regulate and instead perpetuates unhealthy working conditions on a normal everyday basis then its time for the government to step in...

And then the studios will have nobody to blame but themselves!!
This is why you see a lot of tech companies regulate themselves, so that the government wont have to.

its sad that you have to regulate it because there are circumstances that you would want to work longer and as soon as you start regulating stuff with bureaucracy you start taking away peoples liberty to make those decisions.
This is something that drives me crazy, trying to work in France. The rules say that I must be given 35 hours a week, and only 35 hours a week because anything more would be exploitation, so my employers are penalised heavily if they get me to do overtime (25% extra per hour for the hours 36-39, 50% extra from hour 40 upwards) The practical effect of this for me is a huge amount unpaid, unproductive time, e.g. the infamous two-hour lunch. :grrr:

I'll watch the documentary later, but the situation sounds very much like the volunteers at our local music and dance festival that we call "super-bénévoles" who (voluntarily!) work up to 21 hours a day, four days in a row, unpaid. These contrast with a whole other bunch that put in 180 minutes' worth of bare-minimum effort - just enough to get their free entry, a meal and a few drinks. It's taken me several years, but I've finally been able to persuade the festival overlords to offer greater recognition to the first category - a not-so-little bit of respect goes a long way.

So far we have been knocking out 7 or 10 full scenes, with 2 sets within 8 hours a day.

Even then, we have a lunch break after 4 hours in.

(This is for a short film, with no pay)

But after all that is said and done, everyone is pretty much ready to go at closing. It's exhausting as is. Can't imagine people wanting to do more than that. Our last day is only going to last for 4 hours. Knock out the final shots, and get everyone home as quick as possible.

Back