• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

character Let Your Characters Breathe -- Cockroach Races

He says he is unsure of why it's called a cockroach race. This is actually a sport in pubs in Australia, and it's probably used as the term because the race is not really a race, they meander all over the board and take pauses, etc. Like... the characters I presume?

He says he is unsure of why it's called a cockroach race. This is actually a sport in pubs in Australia, and it's probably used as the term because the race is not really a race, they meander all over the board and take pauses, etc. Like... the characters I presume?
I assumed the same thing although when I read cockroach race? It immediately reminded me of an Indie film with Ray Liotta called PHOENIX. Good little film. At the end of the film, he's on the run. Cops are trying to track him down and he's a compulsive gambler cop who STOPS and finds a couple of cockroaches and races them against each other. LOL.

While he's on the run. This simple little act said a LOT about that character.

Last edited:
I like scenes like that. Remember in Heat when De Niro is free and clear but he must stop to take care of that character at the hotel?

Back