lenses?!?

Ok im new to dslrs and i am ordering my gh1 tomarow.

Im wondering on kinds of lenses for different stuff.

I know a 50mm 1.2/1.4/1.8 is a must.

I was wondering is the 14-42mm kit lens that comes with the gh1 any good? Im deciding to get just body or kit?

I also have a new 80-28mm Eos lens. i know i would need an adapter for that.

What kind of lens would be the best if i was useing a steadicam? because i know u cant really adjust the focus if your using one.

any other lenses you would recemend for different types of shots please let me know! thanks

Lots of stuff on this in the newbie and cinematography section.

Check it out and if you have any questions after that, just ask here again.

But basically and generally, you need about 3 primes to begin with. Something to cover the wide, standard and long depending on the crop factor of your camera.

If you're on an extremely tight budget, you can always just use the kit lens with any DSLR. It may not produce the best results but they are good enough to get by while you save up. But in the end, you'll need faster lenses.

I produced an award winning short using just the 14-42 kit lens, so it's capable. It's not the best for low light, and I definitely prefer using prime lenses, but it works in a pinch. The one advantage to the kit lens, or any Panasonic lens it that they have auto focus. While I never use it for narrative work, if you're just going out to take a few pictures having a lens that can autofocus is handy.

When I purchased my GH2 I chose to just get a body and a collection of prime lenses. If you're going with adapted lens, I find it's best to stay with lenses from the same maker and era. The optical quality and coatings have changed over time, so it can be tough to match lenses. For example, I have an old Nikon 28mm, and I see a noticeable difference when cutting between it and my Panasonic 20mm pancake. I've shown footage to others and when properly color corrected they usually can't tell, but I can so it becomes an annoyance to me. Starting out I'd recommend either going with old Nikon lenses or Canon FD lenses. The Canon's are a tad bit softer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing; they're also cheaper as they can't be used on current Canon cameras. As for focal lengths, on a crop sensor I rarely go beyond 50mm. I'd recommend going with a nice spread, maybe a 20mm, 28mm, 35mm, and a 50mm.

For steadycam, a wide lens will get you the smoothest footage.

I produced an award winning short using just the 14-42 kit lens, so it's capable. It's not the best for low light, and I definitely prefer using prime lenses, but it works in a pinch. The one advantage to the kit lens, or any Panasonic lens it that they have auto focus. While I never use it for narrative work, if you're just going out to take a few pictures having a lens that can autofocus is handy.

When I purchased my GH2 I chose to just get a body and a collection of prime lenses. If you're going with adapted lens, I find it's best to stay with lenses from the same maker and era. The optical quality and coatings have changed over time, so it can be tough to match lenses. For example, I have an old Nikon 28mm, and I see a noticeable difference when cutting between it and my Panasonic 20mm pancake. I've shown footage to others and when properly color corrected they usually can't tell, but I can so it becomes an annoyance to me. Starting out I'd recommend either going with old Nikon lenses or Canon FD lenses. The Canon's are a tad bit softer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing; they're also cheaper as they can't be used on current Canon cameras. As for focal lengths, on a crop sensor I rarely go beyond 50mm. I'd recommend going with a nice spread, maybe a 20mm, 28mm, 35mm, and a 50mm.

For steadycam, a wide lens will get you the smoothest footage.

Alright man thanks!

As for the 28-80mm, which version is it? Does it have manual aperture control? If not, even with an adapter it won't be very useful... Also, if it's the lens I'm thinking of it's a tad bit on the slow side.

yeah do u think the 80-28mm i have already is fine for wide? also then i will order 50mm1.4 or 1.8

What's the crop on a gh1? i forget. 2x?

I would suggest, if you are getting the kit lens, not to order the other ones yet. Use the kit lens and see which focal lengths u like and use most and then order the primes according to ur needs.

If it is a 2x, then a 50 may be too long for you in most cases. Useful for only ECU's.

What's the crop on a gh1? i forget. 2x?

I would suggest, if you are getting the kit lens, not to order the other ones yet. Use the kit lens and see which focal lengths u like and use most and then order the primes according to ur needs.

If it is a 2x, then a 50 may be too long for you in most cases. Useful for only ECU's.

I ordered only the body i was thinking of getting the kit lens seperate because i see it cheaper on ebay lol. But the 28-80mm i already have soo i guess i can buy an adapter for that and see how i like it right?

I ordered only the body i was thinking of getting the kit lens seperate because i see it cheaper on ebay lol. But the 28-80mm i already have soo i guess i can buy an adapter for that and see how i like it right?

I dont have any experience with this lens but from a quick search online, it seems it comes in different versions.

Search for your lens online and see if it has manual focus and an aperture ring. Or lets wait and c if somebody else comments who knows abt it.

I dont have any experience with this lens but from a quick search online, it seems it comes in different versions.

Search for your lens online and see if it has manual focus and an aperture ring. Or lets wait and c if somebody else comments who knows abt it.

Yes it has manual focus it has a switch for either MF or AF. Also you can change between 28-80mm im not sure if thats the aperture ring? lol

My bad, i was thinking of focal length. Mind fart.

You have to make sure, if you are using an adapter that your lens has an aperture ring. Because otherwise, when you set the aperture on ur camera, the body tells the lens where to set it. With an adapter in the middle (neverminding that the lens and body dont match) the electrical contacts wont be touching and you wont be able to adjust the aperture according to ur needs.

Last edited:
ohh i see since i have it already i might as well get an adapter for it? i hear they are cheap. as well i will also get a fast prime just not sure where to start?

I edited my last post, i was thinking focal length, not aperture. Reread those and sineaters. If the lens does not have an aperture ring (and from looking around online, i do not think it does), then getting an adapter is pointless.

Think abt it, if you cant switch between say f5.6 and f11, ull be severely limited.

My bad, i was thinking of focal length. Mind fart.

You have to make sure, if you are using an adapter that your lens has an aperture ring. Because otherwise, when you set the aperture on ur camera, the body tells the lens where to set it. With an adapter in the middle (neverminding that the lens and body dont match) the electrical contacts wont be touching and you wont be able to adjust the aperture according to ur needs.

Ohh i see i was thinking about getting a lumix lens so that way i have to choice but they are all soo expensive so im thinking either to go with canon or nikkon witch ever have a nicer picture (sorry for late responce)

Back