Lens plans for my GH2.

Hello,

My current lens setup is the kit 14-45mm (the supposedly better older version) and a canon FD 50mm 1.4 which I use for 90 percent of my shooting,I love the thing.

Tomorrow I will be collecting my latest addition,a canon FD 24mm 2.8 which should combine nicely with my nifty fifty.

Now I have started thinking about selling the kit lens as the money could go towards something else and I barely use it.However my next film involves a lot of in-car filming and I am wondering if the 14mm end of it might come in useful when the 24mm isn't wide enough.

My other thought is that I could perhaps sell the kit lens and put the money towards a cheap 14mm prime?That way I would have a kit of 3 relatively fast lenses in focal lengths covering most occasions?

All thoughts and advice more than welcome.

Cheers.

keep the kit lens, its not worth much and wont buy you much,on the plus side it has stabilization built in so its good for car mount. Thats how I use it. I have a lot of FD glass, 17, 18, 28, 50 etc.. When the metabonse speedboster FD to M43 starts shippin again I plan to get one of those..

Just had a look on ebay and I could get about £80 or so for the kit lens,a second hand lumix 14mm 2.5 would set me back similar money.

Would that be a good swap out?I'd gain a couple of stops but lose AIS and the zoom.

It really depends on how you shoot and your budget. I have a bunch of Canon FDs I use with my GH2 like many here, but started putting together a set of the Rokinon cine primes because they fit my needs. However, you may need image stabilization if you shoot a lot handheld or for the bumpy roads, so you could keep the zoom.

As far as suggestions, for wide angles you have a multitude of primes, and short zooms like Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 18-35 if you don't want to invest in more m4/3 glass.

Back