Lens Cleaning

I know this is probably book one stuff to everyone here, but what do you use to clean your lenses and filters?

I just got through doing a video for a real estate company and noticed some "ghosts" in the video.
(fortunately the client didn't, but they aren't as anal as I am about this sort of thing)

I am figuring it is dust on the lens.

I keep the lens protected with a Tiffen UV filter and mostly notice these things when I'm shooting in sunlight.

Should I take the filter off?

I flash the lenses in sunlight (on and off the cam) to see smudges and dust and frankly see nothing.

I'm using a dry cloth made for cleaning glasses to keep the lenses clear.

Any and all help graciously accepted!!

Neil

Well I knew better than to use Windex!!

I'm guessing a trip to the nearest camera store will be in order.

Would you believe they don't have one here in Statesboro??
I know, I was astounded too...;)

I'd recommend that you took off the filter. Long ago, I used to always keep a uv filter on my lenses, but nowadays I don't even use lens caps anymore.

Two things I have found that work wonders. Cigarette paper (use it dry on the lens, unless it's really dirty) and lenspens (excellent way to get rid of that stubborn piece of dust or smudge).

The only reason you'd really want a filter on the front is to protect the lens element from things flying at it (like, car chases on the freeway or something) or maybe if you were to actually drop the camera. Lens flares are much worse than a little bit of dust in my opinion.

Last edited:
Interesting take. I've always heard that the UV filter was the first line of defense in keeping a camera lens scratch free.

I will say, all three of my cameras were purchased used and none had a filter attached, and none had scratches.

What say the rest of the group? Is the UV filter one of those things we do because "it's what we do"?

I've taken to keeping my Polarizer on instead of the UV filter, since I actually use it all the time and like what it does for me. I've got some pretty old beat up lenses with no scratches...so I din't think scratching on lenses is a as pervasive as photographer paranoia makes it seem.

p.s., you should see how I treat guitars...as long as they keep playing, they're just a tool :)

Back