Lens advice

Hey all,

A new project came up that I want to shoot. This will be a short and am shooting on a t1i running ML with an 18-55 kit.

Budget: the cheaper the better, as I still need to purchase everything else.

This is not a commercial or a paid shoot. So I can get away with an OK quality, but still want something to be proud of after this shoot is done.

Which prime lens should I look into? What about zoom?

I guess I could get away with a kit 18-55, but am pretty limited with it.

I have looked at a 50mm f1.8 but hear mixed reviews about it….and don’t want to pay twice or 3 times that for a 50mm f1.4 for this short film

There also is a 50mm f1.8 II….is that the same lense? Do I need an adapter to a t1i?

So is a 50mm f1.8 (some go for under 100 bucks) worth the investment? Or should I not even bother? How is the DOF they give you?

Throw some suggestions please.

Needs to be a manual focus ofcorse, as some of these are not that good when pulling focus manually. And I understand it needs to be an EF lens otherwise it needs an adapter?

Thanks,

Roman

Last edited:
I would definitely invest in the 50mm... i have recently and its the best investment i have made so far with my DSLR equipment, its a dream to use, its so so sharp and the DOF is crazy shallow, you cant argue for sub $100

Budget: the cheaper the better, as I still need to purchase everything else.

Which prime lens should I look into? What about zoom?

Still need some budget numbers to be able to give you any serious suggestions abt particular lenses. You could get one good zoom or three good primes or if ur under 200 in overall budget for lenses, just the best, limted range zoom you can find then.

I have looked at a 50mm f1.8 but hear mixed reviews about it….and don’t want to pay twice or 3 times that for a 50mm f1.4 for this short film

There also is a 50mm f1.8 II….is that the same lense? Do I need an adapter to a t1i?

The difference between the Mark I and Mark II is mainly in its build quality and ease of focusing.

Quality wise, optically, they're about the same. The Mark I has a better build with a metal mount and has a better quality focus ring with a scale.

To give the same optical quality but make it cheaper, they made the Mark II with plastic, removed the distance scale and compromised on the focus ring.

You can use the Mark II, which is what mostly everyone gets these day, you just have to be more careful with it and fiddle with the focus ring a bit more.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I picked up a 50mm f1.8 II and its great of a lens for the price. I love it. esp in low light where kit lens is unusable.

Hi Roman,

I am in same situation as you were in.... Exactly same decision I have to make: Canon 18-55 kit lens or 50mm 1.8?

Your feedback would be really helpful to me.

Regards,

Riz

Hi Roman,

I am in same situation as you were in.... Exactly same decision I have to make: Canon 18-55 kit lens or 50mm 1.8?

Your feedback would be really helpful to me.

Regards,

Riz

Hey Riz,

I have both the 18-55 and the nifty fifty. The 50mm is not actually a 50mm on our crop sensor camera, it is actually an 80mm. If its ur first lens, i would go with the kit lens 18-55 as its a lot more versatile. BUT on the other hand, the low light and the sharpness of the nifty fifty is amazing for the price.

Sharpness and quality and lowlight = 50mm f1.8 II
Versatility = 18-55

For the price the nifty fifty is a great buy. you can find them used for under a 100 bucks.

Back