Lens adapters questions

Okay, so I'm still NOT getting "IT" as far as 35 mm lens adapters-supposedly you can adapt any lens, and I've seen a couple of DIY, here's my issue:

I have a Canon 930zr camcorder-it doesn't have an external lens cover, it's an internal "flip the switch and it closes inside the camera" model. I do see "ringed grooves" outside the lens, so I ASSUME I can get some sort of adapter to screw in there. Are adapters Camera specific, or generic?

Is is simply a matter of getting a ring size that would screw inside and attaching the lens I want to use to that ring?

Could use some help here :)

Okay, so I'm still NOT getting "IT" as far as 35 mm lens adapters-supposedly you can adapt any lens, and I've seen a couple of DIY, here's my issue:

I have a Canon 930zr camcorder-it doesn't have an external lens cover, it's an internal "flip the switch and it closes inside the camera" model. I do see "ringed grooves" outside the lens, so I ASSUME I can get some sort of adapter to screw in there. Are adapters Camera specific, or generic?

Is is simply a matter of getting a ring size that would screw inside and attaching the lens I want to use to that ring?

Yes that's all there is to having the adapter fit on the camera, just the right size threads on the camera front. If you see ridges then you could theoretically put one on.

And also, my camera has the same kind of automatic lens cover, it doesn't make any difference for the adapter one way or the other.

Adapters are thread-size specific; not camera specific.

Look on the front of your lens. Around the ring should be a number that reads like ø43 , where 43 is the thread-size for that lens. That's how you'd pick out any filters you need to screw on, etc, as well.

Some cameras may not have an exact fit with thread-sizes (say you have a 43 ring, and a 44 filter). In that case, you can use optional step-up or step-down rings to accomodate.

Also, make sure that your camera actually has a threaded front - some cheap ones (or even still cameras that double as camcorders) have ridges there, that aren't actually real threads. Coolpix cameras have some models, like that.

:cool:

Adapters are thread-size specific; not camera specific.

Look on the front of your lens. Around the ring should be a number that reads like ø43 , where 43 is the thread-size for that lens. That's how you'd pick out any filters you need to screw on, etc, as well.

Some cameras may not have an exact fit with thread-sizes (say you have a 43 ring, and a 44 filter). In that case, you can use optional step-up or step-down rings to accomodate.

Also, make sure that your camera actually has a threaded front - some cheap ones (or even still cameras that double as camcorders) have ridges there, that aren't actually real threads. Coolpix cameras have some models, like that.

:cool:

I'll have to see if they are "ridges" or threaded....if they're ridges, I guess I'm SOL? That would be disappointing-but at least I know for my next camera to look for that feature.

I'm guessing if it is a thread, just go to a place that sells lenses they'll probably sell rings as well?

GADS, such newbie questions....:lol: Anyway, NOW I don't feel like I'm losing my mind.......:P Thanks...I'm understanding now....

EDIT: Sigh....the dream is dead....it IS a threadless barrel.....if I want 35 mm adapter, I'm looking at another camera......sigh. :(

Well, at least I figured it out BEFORE I bought one....

Last edited:
Perhaps not, fire off a picture to us, there are "ways*" to get adapters on the front of any camera.

*Note ways generally void warranty.

I have no warranty any longer- that's no issue.

Is this something to do with the cracking the case and getting another housing? Just curious-I'll fire you a pic, for giggles if nothing else.

4549384278_6e35b2fcb6.jpg

Would you like a front shot as well-I don't know why they make the "Ridges" if they aren't threads....

Superglue means that lens isn't going anywhere- I see what you mean...

Last edited:
I don't see threads, in that pic or on the net.
At least one high end adapter has a "soft mount" option. The RedRock M2 has a rubber cup that you just push your camera into, no threads involved. Dont know if it works, etc.. etc..

Back