legal question

Okay. I recently sent in a 24 second film to a company (they had a little promotion for filmmakers, a few get their films used as commercials...it' sover now, though). I sent everything they requested: All signed contracts, source tapes, releases, etc. EXCEPT for building releases. They ask for me to get all buildings, public and private, released by the owner in case my film MAY be used on TV...however, I know for a FACT that:

1. It is legal to tape/film any location visible in a public place without permission in Oklahoma (save logos, faces, artwork, etc.)...any building.

2. I didn't have time to figure out who owned the buildings in my piece, and find those people, so I just sent the film in w/out that stuff. I had to meet the deadline.

I decided not to ask them, because then they may not even bother to watch my film. Do you guys think I'll be disqualified? It's totally legal here...I think it's not legal in California, where I sent the film.

Well it doesn't sound like you can do much about it at this point :D. I honestly don't know what they will do but one would think they would take local laws into account... then again they might just require all these things to ease work on their side rather than hunt down local laws.

Yet another reason I despise copyright law: who the hell can copyright the image of a building? I have enough problems with art and music copyrights to find any sympathy for the owners of the copyrighted images of buildings...

stbd1 said:
Yet another reason I despise copyright law: who the hell can copyright the image of a building? I have enough problems with art and music copyrights to find any sympathy for the owners of the copyrighted images of buildings...
There's actually a case in which the architect of a building sued a production company. This case was described in a copyright law book. I no longer have the book and I can't remember who won the case. I think it was the Die Hard movie that involved the "Nakatomi Building". Of course the building was the focus of action for the whole movie. If you're talking about a simple one time establishing shot then don't worry.

According to the book, "clearance and copyright", it's never illegal. Even the architect has no case against a filmmaker who captures a building. I don't know why it's an issue for that thing I had to send in.

I agree, though. Some copyright laws DEFINITELY need to be changed. Any idea on how I can do something about this? Does congress create these laws? Who creates them?

It has become a real problem, and I think artists need to voice what we think before it DOES become illegal to film uncleared structures!

...if anyone knows who to vote for, what to join, etc. post it!! Fight the machine!!!

smiley_learn.gif
Copyright concerning buildings in public view

Of course, you still have to have permission to be filming there to start with... but that's a local matter.

Hmm... finding some references now to State law being able to add further "protections". Good reading.

Last edited:
2. I didn't have time to figure out who owned the buildings in my piece, and find those people, so I just sent the film in w/out that stuff. I had to meet the deadline.
Not a good excuse. Didn't have time? Not to bag on you personally, but a movie maker must make the time to do things right.

Despite everyone's personal opinion on copyright, or if filming a building is legal or not - the contest rules clearly stated what the movie maker needed to provide. regardless of what you THINK is right, or what you KNOW as fact - the contest asked you for the releases.

You didn't have time.

Yeah rik, I didn't have time. I say what I mean. I had to do the film and send it in within a few days. The architect doesn't own the buildings at OU...who owns the rights to film the structure? The state?...oh wait, I do. It's not very simple. In fact, it's infinitely complex.

My apartment complex is owned by a national chain. Who owns the floor plan copyrights? Is this who I should get to sign the release? Does the property owner sign it? They won't know any more than I do. This would all take weeks to figure out (in reality, it would take months)...even if it only took days, I didn't have days. I did everything in three days, and barely met the deadline. Make time? Sorry, I don't know how to break the laws of physics, Rik.

I also made a different 24 second film that met all requirements (I just didn't tape any structures), but I just don't think it's as good as the one in question.

Logan,

You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I didn't ask you to break any physics laws, nor did I suggest you to the impossible.

When a contest ask for releases and you don't get them, the chances are they will disqualify you. Even if you deeply believe what you did is acceptable.

I don't say this to upset you, or to start an argument. I apologize and will keep my opinions to myself in the future.

No!

directorik said:
will keep my opinions to myself in the future.

Alright people. There are other boards where people are/were doing this ScHTuff! Not on this board please. I think this is the most professional and helpful board there is. Nice and constructive people all working towards the same thing. PLEASE do NOT keep it to yourself. We want opinions, constructive critism, thoughts, and ideas. This is a community and I came here to be PART of the community. That means participation. I don't want to loose another participating individual. WE NEED MORE PARTICIPANTS! :scared: :director:

Rik...I'm not mad, and I DEFINITELY want to hear your opinion...but you were trying to tell me that I DID have time when I didn't...or to "make" time. That's all that I had a problem with...trust me, though...I'm not upset at all. I did ask your opinion which was: They will probably disqualify me. I wasn't asking if I had time, because I knew first hand that I did not.

Again, NO HARD FEELINGS!!!

P.S. I love you

Yes Logan I'm on your side I totally understand about the time thing. But your film will probably not be accepted, because you know how strict these things can get. But I'm pushing for you Good Luck. Hey theres no cops on here. IS THERE? hehe

Back