LEGAL/Copyright questions...

1. When you are choosing a name (title) for your movie, do you have to pick a name that has NEVER been used for any other movie before, in the past and present?? (I don't understand the rules. What if the name you've chosen was used for some old, obscure movie in the 50s ? ) In other words, how do you know if the name you've chosen is "safe"?? ALSO ---- what if the name you've chosen happens to be the same name as a current TV reality show? (like "Survivor" or something).

2. What if you write a completely ORIGINAL script with characters and plotline that you devised out of your own creative head... you produce the movie... then some existing TV show (or movie) tries to assert that your show bears too many similarities to theirs? Does this happen frequently? This seems unfair, and how would you defend against it? (This has not happened to me -- I just have a fear that it could happen someday, because there are only so many *completely unique* ideas in this world). Any thoughts.......?

1. When you are choosing a name (title) for your movie, do you have to pick a name that has NEVER been used for any other movie before, in the past and present?? (I don't understand the rules. What if the name you've chosen was used for some old, obscure movie in the 50s ? ) In other words, how do you know if the name you've chosen is "safe"?? ALSO ---- what if the name you've chosen happens to be the same name as a current TV reality show? (like "Survivor" or something).
Titles cannot be copyrighted. You can use titles that have been used before.

2. What if you write a completely ORIGINAL script with characters and plotline that you devised out of your own creative head... you produce the movie... then some existing TV show (or movie) tries to assert that your show bears too many similarities to theirs? Does this happen frequently? This seems unfair, and how would you defend against it? (This has not happened to me -- I just have a fear that it could happen someday, because there are only so many *completely unique* ideas in this world). Any thoughts.......?
This doesn't happen frequently so you don't have to have a fear about whether
it's fair or not. Make sure you copyright your completely ORIGINAL script as
soon as it's finished and that you copyright the finished movie. If some existing
TV show (or movie) tries to assert that your show bears too many similarities
to theirs you will have the proof you need to defend yourself.

Back