Legacy Russian Lenses

Have you got any Russian lenses? Which one/s do you have?
What is the best Helios lens? I am considering the Helios 44M, Helios 44M-4, Helios 44-2; All are 58/2.
I'm also looking at the Jupiter-8 50/2.

I have 44M and the 44M-4
aside from test, never used em..

For some reason I just keep reaching for the antique cannon FD set (17mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75-200, some other zooms) That and the 14-42 kit on my GH2 is about all Iv used for anything serious.

My 17 even has fungus scars..I still love it!

another Russian lens I have is a zenitar 16mm. I got a great deal, its missing some coatings, but its a nice wide lens. Don't use it much either..

Maybe Ill make my Christmas video with only Russian lenses..

Last edited:
Do you know what the qualities of each lens and which one would you prefer wheatgrinder?
I think I'll go with Helios brand just because they're well built compared to Jupiters. Both of them are based of old Zeiss lens designs though.

its just about the look you get out of these lenses, not anything quantitative.

There is enough variation in the quality of ANY Helios lens that even if you have two of the same lens, they will look different.. so picking one model over the other.. meh.. makes no difference.. I wouldn't have more than one M44 except one was attached to a macro bellows that I bought a part of some larger package, didn't even know I was buying it.

In short, if its cheap enough then buy it, you spends your money and you takes yer chances.. you'll probably like it.

Back