Leap

Leap3NewLogoBW copy.png

Backstory:
I've completed three independent feature films, plus countless shorts and adverts. My first feature was a no budget slasher I shot in 2007 for a budget of $600 called "Wulf". It played a few festivals and then I buried it, considering it my trunk novel. In 2009, I turned my back on horror and decided to be the Christian I considered myself to be. I still wanted to make movies and had an idea to combine parkour and the last days into a movie that was ultimately called "Leap".
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.21 PM.png

I shot it in 2009 on MiniDV (a Canon ZR800) for a budget of $200. I spent three months teaching my actors parkour and they did most of their own stunts. It screened at a local theater and we sold 200 DVDs. Let's be honest though- it's bad. My heart was in the right place, wanting to share what I was finding in my own personal Bible studies with the rest of the world, but it was poorly executed.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.32 PM.png

In 2010, I made the sequel, "Leap: Rise of the Beast". It was the first feature film shot on a Canon Rebel T2i and we only had the kit lens. The budget was $2000 and continued the story I began in the first film: a group of college kids trying to save the world while the Vatican hunts them down. My goal was to make a Christian version of the Bourne series. We had a theatrical screening for it, sold 100 DVDs and then I stuck it on YouTube in 2012 and it now has over 1.5 million views and has made over $10,000 over the past ten years. Most of that money has gone toward purchasing better equipment because hey, tax write-offs :)
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.12.47 PM.png

Immediately after Leap 2 came out, I wanted to do something different before finishing the story. So I wrote a supernatural Christian thriller but everyone kept begging me to do Leap 3 next instead. I caved and wrote the script called "Leap: Revelation". It picked up in the middle of Leap 2, followed a new parkour crew and took us to the end of the world. The only thing stopping me from shooting it was the financing. I figured that I'd need $20,000 to do the movie on a "low-budget" while paying for actors and a few key crew members. Unfortunately I never raised the funds.

The past ten years saw me being homeless, getting a dream job as a VFX supervisor, losing everything I owned (including my dog) in a house fire, rebuilding my life, getting a wife, a new dog, and moving back to Montana. Now I run my own production studio called Pyro Studios and I feel like I'm at a point where I want to revisit this material again. I've grown a lot as a person and as a filmmaker and finally feel like now is the time. I've been keeping a production journal on my computer and I'll be sharing that here.

I hope it is useful and I welcome you all along this journey.

-Chris

Ten Years Difference
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.16.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Another update:
I think I figured out the issue. It wasn't my computer, it was the hard drive that I store this client's work on. I had purchased it almost three years ago and in that time it had been added too, and old stuff deleted, over and over, basically causing fragmentation. This would explain why I was only having issues when the drive was connected and I was in that client's project in Resolve. I narrowed it down to this because after my re-install on the new SSD for the computer, I still had issues while accessing that client's project. I ended up doing a full reformat (not quick) on his drive and haven't had any issues since. This would also explain why I was having issues after a week of no issues (I'm only working on his stuff once a week).

Soooo..... Everything is running great now, both for the movie and my bill paying work.

Movie-wise, I used the FlareFactory gizmo from Nukepedia to touch up a previously completed shot that I wasn't fully happy with. Also started clearing out the garage today to make room for my studio. I need to do some reshoots for the ending of the movie and having a dedicated space will come in handy.

Last edited:
If you do that, it would be great if we could see a photo or 2 of the actors against the green screen before seeing them against the environment like that. But I totally understand if you don't have time to do that.
You know me, I post about everything lol I'm sure I'll have some pics like that :)

Howdy! I know it's been awhile, so I figured it was time for some updates.
First, we are moved and settled into the new house. And I have my studio/training area all setup. I've been doing Kenpo karate since I was a kid and it's always been my dream to have a place to train on my own. We took the two car garage/shop building and split it in half. One side has all our outdoor play gear (backpacks, canoe, bikes...) and the other half is a training area. I put up shelving to separate the two halves and store most of my film gear on those shelves. The result: If I need some studio space, it takes me thirty minutes to set things up, which really isn't too bad.

VFX-wise: Still chipping away at things. Lots of invisible effects. Lately I've been doing newspapers and removing the boom op from windows that we didn't catch on set. Part of the fun of VFX is learning how the world works. For instance, newspapers don't have white ink. If I need to replace a newspaper, I have to erase the text, keep the paper color, then pick the right blending mode of my new image so that "White" is just "paper".

I did just finish a really tricky shot that was a lot of fun to do. There's a scene where the main character gets a job at the local gas station. He walks by the window outside and there's a "Help Wanted" sign. I was too cheap to buy one, so we just took a piece of paper, wrote "Help Wanted", and gaff taped it to the OUTSIDE of the window. I have no idea why we thought that was a good idea. It looks like trash.

I ended up painting out the paper sign, revealing the glass beneath it, then taking an image of a help wanted sign that I got online and put it back behind the glass with a screen blend mode (I learned this trick as a teen from "The Digital Video Production Cookbook"). In order to smooth the effect, I ended up just replacing the entire window with my effect, rather than trying to localize it to just the sign. A little roto on the actor as he wipes the window and the shot looks great!

Before:
Before.png

After:
After.png

I chose to move the sign slightly because I thought the reflection of the tree over the sign helped tie it all in more. I also added some birds to the now-still-image-window in order to bring some life to it.

Looking at my VFX document, my next big shot will be enhancing a clinic to make it look more like a hospital. Signage, extra people, etc...

Last edited:
Working on the hospital shot today. We shot the scene at a laser therapy place that my wife used to work at. I can't remember the last time that I was in a hospital so I looked up online "hospital signage" and came across some great examples. Reference is always key! In Photoshop, I made some plastic plaques that say things like "LABORATORY", "ADMINISTRATION", "SURGERY"... etc... I added some arrows that looked right, and comped it in to the shot, which is slow motion. Overall, looks really good. Had to roto my wife who plays the surgeon as she crosses the frame, but again, that helps sell it.

My wife suggested adding hyper lapse people walking in front of the shot, I'm debating whether that works or not.

Tried the hyper lapse people, I wasn't a fan. I showed Karissa and she agreed. I added another sign that says "EMERGENCY" above the seating area and called it good. Sometimes with VFX, less is more.

I took a few breaks this weekend and we saw Ghostbusters and Godzilla x Kong. I enjoyed both and had a great time!

Today, I started on VFX for the funeral scene. Pretty basic stuff that I have already attempted in the trailer: painting out crew members and adding a CGI casket since I didn't want to pay for one. I've really been having a lot of fun using my VFX knowledge for "world building" and finishing in things we didn't have the money for on set. In 90% of these cases, I planned to do them that way from the start in order to keep the budget low. I'm wishing I had been keeping track of the time I've spent on VFX, it'd be fun to see how much I would cost lol

Working on some more funeral shots. When we shot it, I measured out a space in front of a head stone 2 feet wide by 7 feet long and marked it out with tennis balls - or as we called them, tracking markers. I always keep a bag of them with my kit because you never know when you'll need them to help track a scene. Especially when shooting in a grassy area, adding markers can help beef up tracking data. The downside of course is that they'll have to be painted out, but that's easy.

In the middle of the markers, we put an ice chest so the actor's eyelines would be accurate. They're all looking at the same spot and they're looking at the proper height. I tracked the shot in Blender and actually got one of the best tracks of my career right out of the gate. After aligning the scene, I plopped in the casket model and snagged an HDRI of a park from HDRI Haven to use as an environment map. I also got on Blend Swap and grabbed some grass that I scattered around the base and set the material to be a hold out. The result is that the casket actually looks like it's sitting in the grass at the actual cemetery.

The entire shot took me about two hours to complete and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The last time I did a funeral scene was in 2009 on the original Leap movie. I had zero VFX skills at the time, so we just always made sure that the "casket" was just out of frame, or blocked by the attendees. It was a relief this time to actually be able to show it.

FuneralBefore.png

FuneralAfter.png

Last edited:
Back