Lav Recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a budget-ish (preferably under $450) lavalier mic? The main use I would have for it would be documentary work and promotional business videos. Thanks! :)

I've been hearing bad things about wireless at a lower budget level relative to signal interference so I was going to go wired.... if anyone still does that? I'm extremely clueless about lavs, I've only worked with shotgun-y boom-y type sound. :)

How about some more details on how they would be used and what you would be hooking it into. Give us LOTS if details.

A few suggestions - Tram TR50, Crown Audio GLM200, Countryman B-3 or B-6.

I myself and going with a Sennheiser G2 system. It's UHF and right at $450 new on ebay, about $100 less than B&H. It's a transmitter and camera mountable receiver. One of the best options I have found for the price. If you can't afford the lower level Sennheisers, I would look into what Audio Technica has.

Pretty much stay away from Azden in this price range, and to get good enough quality you'll need UHF. Not that VHF doesn't work fine, just most at this range are cheaply constructed.

Those suggestions sound great, thank you! Relative to details... I believe I would be using them for stationary interview/testimonial/etc. situations, so having a lot of movement flexibility is not really an issue. My main motive in getting a lapel mic is to put my subjects more at ease, as they are a lot less obtrusive then say, a boom operator. I don't really see using it in my narrative work, so it's alright if it's fairly large/visible. I'd be connecting it to a marantz pmd660 if I didn't go wireless.

Also, I will probably be using it in situations where I do not have total control over the sound space... most of the lavs I looked have been omnis but I also seen a couple cardiods.
a. Why are omnis more common?
b. Is having a more directional lav beneficial in comparable ways to other mics, or is there a major difference in terms of usage there?

Thanks!!

Those suggestions sound great, thank you! Relative to details... I believe I would be using them for stationary interview/testimonial/etc. situations, so having a lot of movement flexibility is not really an issue. My main motive in getting a lapel mic is to put my subjects more at ease, as they are a lot less obtrusive then say, a boom operator. I don't really see using it in my narrative work, so it's alright if it's fairly large/visible. I'd be connecting it to a marantz pmd660 if I didn't go wireless.

Also, I will probably be using it in situations where I do not have total control over the sound space... most of the lavs I looked have been omnis but I also seen a couple cardiods.
a. Why are omnis more common?
b. Is having a more directional lav beneficial in comparable ways to other mics, or is there a major difference in terms of usage there?

Thanks!!

a. because an omni will work in any direction you put it on someone, many times you are hiding them and can be sideways, upside down thru a tie, whatever.
b. you are always dealing with signal to noise, with a lav you are already close to your actor, sometimes too close. so reach is not the problem and a need for direction was covered in A

here comes the BUT, sometimes when using it as only a clip on "tie clip" in a noise setting, a cardiod would be a better choice. OR sometimes when working in cars, having a small cardiod on hand is never a bad thing.

Back