Lasting Advice for Young Directors? :)

This has no right or wrong answer. Just wondering if there's any great advice that can be passed along on the path to becoming a director? I'm a young guy, and my dream is to direct. I won't give up until my goal is reached, so I'm just wondering if there's any experiential knowledge that can be shared :) I appreciate any comments regarding this, thanks my dudes!

Do everything in your power to capture solid production sound.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience."

KNOW know (not just kinda know, like on what isle and shelf the waffle irons are on at the local JCPenny) where the film is going to be seen by the audience that wants to see something like what you're about to shoot.

This means you also gotta know who the audience is for your film.

Expect to spend an equal amount of time and money peddling your film as you do planning & producing it.

20120325FilmitAndTheyWillCome.png

I won't give up until my goal is reached, so I'm just wondering if there's any experiential knowledge that can be shared :)
Learn to give up on goals.
Or at least modify them.
Maybe even to the point that you can't recognize the original goal.
In fact, learn to cultivate MULTIPLE goals, promote the winners, cut the losers.

Lastly, pick your nose BEFORE scratching your a... oh, wait. That's not filmmaking related. Never mind.

Last edited:
It's all about people. Whether you're talking about your cast or crew, or whether you're thinking about your audience. It's all about the people.

People skills and leadership skills are very important as a director.

Back