laptop recommendation

I don't want to soley rely on what a sales clerk says because I don't want to invest in something only to find out it doesn't do all I want it to.

I tried to download the dv on my laptop but all I got were still photos instead of movie. So instead of clips of various things - I have still photos. Is there something I did wrong in the transfer - because the only option I got on the computor was 'pictures' so I am thinking my computor simply cannot handle the dv.

Its dual core 3gbs.

I guess what I am asking is - is that what computors do when they cannot take the dv - they simply take them as still photos?

What would be the stats in a computor I would need to handle the avchd/editing/hd on a computor? I asked the sales persn at bb and he suggested an hp 2085 (I think) which runs about 1300 dollars.

Last edited:
What would be the stats in a computor I would need to handle the avchd/editing/hd on a computor? I asked the sales persn at bb and he suggested an hp 2085 (I think) which runs about 1300 dollars.

Sales person sounds about right to me. Computers that can handle HD are all pretty expensive, i'd say your other option would be to go down the MAC route.

Smith

Best thing to do is either get a Mac ~ or a laptop with a Firewire port, cause that really helped me. I still have my 1.33Ghz Ibook G4 from 2004, thats now outside in my greenscreen studio, just get somthing with a firewire port is all I can say
What is it about Mac. Seems a lot of indie film makers perfer Mac.
I prefer mac for a huge amount of reasons including , Firweire compatible, it provided free video editing software when i was just starting out, they have a fairly clean GUI and Interface they dont lack on power either, though i also use a custom built computer with XP and another custom with Linux

Whenever you have two major brands there will always be a debate... Coke vs. Pepsi, Mac vs. PC. You may have to experience it yourself to be sure. Sounds expensive, but only you can know what you like right? So don't worry to much about the brand name right now, pay more attention to specs.

What is it about Mac. Seems a lot of indie film makers perfer Mac.

I have a PC and Mac right next to one another (both desktops)

I only edit on Mac, just because the industry calls for it 95% more then PC.

Why?
Mac is great at advertising, thus users are subconsusiously 'tricked' into thinking it's the better brand, when in reality... It's not.

Mac and PCs are both good, and both get the job done.

I prefer my PC, but end up always using my Mac, which cost me twice as much :) and does less :(

Can you list what the specs would be - so I can write them down when I visit pc stores?

I am looking for somethg with a firewire port...4gbs..dual core (or more?)...what else?

Thanks

i only like mac's for one reason, and that's final cut pro. i enjoy it much more than sony vegas, but maybe that's because i used it in my video class a lot?

but just look around and find out what you think would be right for you.

all you need is just a cpu with a firewire port really, and that's about it. although i would recommend that you get a desktop instead of a laptop. but that's just because i don't trust the durability of a laptop, and they always get too hot and burn out.

idk it's all up to you kid!

Do these stats sound good enough (its a desktop)
Hp 22in screen
Core 2 duo processor
t6600 (don't know what this means)
4gb
pc2-6400
ddr 2
sdram
640gb sata hard drive
Does have a firewire port

Does this desktop sound like it can handle editing hd? Naturally sales say it could but I am hoping someone with knowledge on this forum would know - and know what some of the stats mean (in relation to editing).

Thanks

I have a Dell vostro, it has a firewire port, 250gb hard disk, core2duo, I had to purchase an OS, I purchased windows vista, I opted for pinnacle version11 for editing, 12 has not yet been introduced in India. I recently purchased Ulead DVD movie factory 7 and Ulead video studio version 12. now ulead videostudio has editing facility, I got to get used to that. oh yeah, almost forgot, I purchased a 4 pin to 4 pin cable to connect the firewire port and the DV cam. and I have an external hard disk of 500 gb, the 250 gb won't be enough so you go to get those external hard disks.

regards,
Ace.Inc1

All I can say is...if you're serious about working on HD films...get a desktop. You'll have to spend an arm an a leg to get a laptop that is as powerful as a desktop...in fact...you can't find a laptop that is more powerful than a desktop editing suite.

Also bare in mind that if you build your own PC, you'll get a more powerful computer for WAY cheaper than a G5 or a beefed up PC like Alienware of Falcon NW.

With that said...Macs ARE really good with multimedia...they crash less...and more people in the industry use them as their editing machines.

To answer your initial question...I'm not sure. The still picture thing doesn't sound like it relates to a capture problem, or a problem with you computer 'not being able to handle HD.'

I'll tell you what you DON'T want to do...is go onto a BestBuy and purchase a cheap, consumer grade computer to edit films on...those things aren't made for professional work...they use crappy parts and throw a bunch of useless apps on there that bog down your system from the get-go.

Your safer finding a friend to build your own PC from scratch. I built my own. I spent $800 (minus monitor) on my rig, and it's blazing fast with a quad core processor, a whippin video card, and 4 gigs of DDR ram. That's already more powerful than a stock G5...and it's WAY cheaper than any Mac worth editing movies with.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't know anyone who can build a laptop - well I do but he is hundreds of miles away and probably doesn't want to anyway....actually when I posted the stats - I meant to write it was a desktop - I am SO used to using laptops that I just write it everytime - but its a desktop.

As for bestbuy - yes I get what you are saying. When I went in there a few weeks ago to inquire about a sale laptop the salesman informed me what you just did - that it is kind of like leftovers all put together and that I would end up spending over a grand on what I want.

Meanwhile this hp DESKTOP retails for 1500.

Are you a student? If you are and you sign up for emails from hp regarding discounts and stuff, they send out email offers pretty much every week for a good discount on a model you can configure. I would watch for the HP Pavilion HDX family, they are configurable to extreme power.

I would recommend custom building a workstation, then you have a lot more freedom to upgrade later, but if you need a powerhouse of a laptop...

I went the the HP site and did a maxed out configuration (this is my dream laptop, lol) for $2666.39 you get:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 (a quad-core CPU) 2.53GHz 12Mb L2 Cache
8GB DDR3 RAM
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M (beats the 9600)
18inch display - 1080p
Blu-ray +-R/RW drive

you can have them add Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and Photoshop Elements 7 for $90 more, and you've got an insane laptop! This is without additional software such as microsoft word, anti-virus, etc. But those are easy, there's free office apps if you don't already have it, for anti-virus, just get Avast free edition, it's protected my systems well for over 2 yrs now - not one serious problem (the occasional crash due to maxing out hardware on heavy special effects and HD editing is unavoidable no matter what OS).

You can go Mac or PC, they're both good, and you keep your PC healthy (which is simple, get the free anti-virus I mentioned), the PC will be comparable in performance to any mac of similar specs. Go with what you prefer, both OS worlds have their share of high-end editing programs - both have the Adobe Creative Suite, which is on par with Final Cut and Avid, so you do have good choices wherever you go!

Happy Hunting!

Back