Lapsed filmmaker

Hi everyone! I'm Phil - once a proud follower of the filmmaking dream but after burning myself out on a creative project I took a 6 year hiatus. The creative itch was always there, though, and I've decided to essentially start from scratch and learn the ropes once more.

Hoping to find a fun and friendly community of fellow filmmakers to learn from and with!

Hi Phil,

Why 12%?

I'm Alcove because my first "recording studio" was crammed into a tiny alcove of our apartment.

Hoping to find a fun and friendly community of fellow filmmakers to learn from and with!
Lots of good folks here, like mlesemann.

We're big on fundamental basics. From there, no one will help you, we'll guide and assist from our experiences and let you be you. Some newbs get frustrated without "This Is How You Do It" answers, but we all have learned you have to adapt everything that comes after the basics to yourself and your situation.

We're serious, but have a lot of fun.

Peace,

Uncle Bob

Hi Phil,

Why 12%?

I'm Alcove because my first "recording studio" was crammed into a tiny alcove of our apartment.

Lots of good folks here, like mlesemann.

We're big on fundamental basics. From there, no one will help you, we'll guide and assist from our experiences and let you be you. Some newbs get frustrated without "This Is How You Do It" answers, but we all have learned you have to adapt everything that comes after the basics to yourself and your situation.

We're serious, but have a lot of fun.

Peace,

Uncle Bob
The 12% is a very niche reference to a couple of different Marvel films (Tony Stark offering Pepper '12% of the credit' in 'The Avengers' and Star-Lord saying he has '12% of a plan' in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'), but I adopted it as a general username several years ago and sort of forgot the origin until now!

Oh, I forgot to mention in my intro that I'm a huge nerd...!

Your description of the forum in general sounds great - I'm not here for easy answers or a free ride, I'm here to put the work in and learn a craft so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

Back