LAN FPS Sugestions

Hi all,
Im getting a bit tired of my 8 year old son handing my butt to me on a plate every time we go head to head on Halo (xbox. )

(and me a former ELITE online combat leader in many games, not for 4 years or so though)

So, whats a new'ish FPS PC game that:
runs on LOCAL AREA NETWORK only, no internet
Doesn't require me to buy 2 or 3 copies of the game

I can think of a few that fit the first two criteria but that last bit is killer. Virtually every gaming studio requires you to purchase a copy for each person playing the game.

Do they have to lack an online component? There are various hacks you can use that make stuff like MW2 LAN capable.

Not sure about local-only play, but I'd try the Unreal Tournament games. UT3 is pretty fun. I still think Unreal Championship on the original Xbox was one of the best FPS frag-fests. The people on my gaming site played that on Xbox Live religiously every night. So much fun.

yeah, I thought the single CD bit would be harder, so lets drop it.

Its not that we don't have internet, its just impossible to play over the sat internet (for bandwidth and latency reasons)

If games can be made to BYPASS the internet and work locally that's good too.. Though frankly I don't know that I want to spend 2 days configuring and setting something up.

UT started on on PC LAN so.. yeah, it works..

I think Im looking for something with bigger vistas, is there anything new in the BF world?

UT started on on PC LAN so.. yeah, it works..

I think Im looking for something with bigger vistas, is there anything new in the BF world?
Give it a few weeks. BF3 is coming out soon and it looks very impressive.

EDIT: Not sure it would be wise to play on massive Battlefield maps with only two folks on LAN, though.

And sorry about the satellite internet, man. That's rough.

FPS has never been my genre of choice, and I'm out of touch with current games, but is it a controller issue? I know a lot of FPS fans that live and die by the mouse/keyboard combo. So much so that back in the day I hacked together a mouse based N64 controller for Goldeneye tourneys. Again, not my thing personally, but I knew a lot of other gamers. Never had an xbox, but I would imagine something similar might be out there these days, to put you back on the playing field!

I did have a lot of fun with the Assault maps on the first Unreal Tournament (did they keep that up? I thought that was a great twist on the formula). If you're specifically looking for big maps, I know level editors have always been in fashion and you could probably find and/or make the sort of board you're looking for with any game.

All that said, lots of fond memories of everyone lugging computers to someone's house for an all-night Doom 2 lan party. It's just not the same unless you're all in the same room!

I don't like FPS on consoles, and quite frankly I'm still flogging Ghost Recon (favorite) and BattleField 1942 with the Desert Combat Mod. And I'm a helicopter maniac before they added all of the "easy to fly" stuff to the controls for the choppers.

My friends and I learned to fly the choppers by doing barnstorming of bridges and the oil rig to get some precision in our control -- the dumbed down controls of the newer games actually makes it harder for me to fly as I can't do as much as I could with the birds.

Back