Kubrick is way better than Nolan

I hate sentences like "So and so is the next such and such." It's silly. There can be stylistic similarities, there can be epic internet discussions of rampant subjectivity concerning which one is better than the other - but nobody is the "next somebody." That's just silly. :D

And seriously, there's no such thing as the "next Kubrick." Forget subjective discussions like who is "better" at what. Kubrick was singular and unique in both film style and working style. His films were completely his - for better or worse. There will never be another Kubrick. Just like there will never be another Hitchcock, or Bergman, or Truffaut, or Ozu, or ...

If you want to look at directing as a job - which is exactly what it is - then I'd submit that Spielberg is probably the best at doing that job in contemporary terms. His films have an extreme variety of story content, but they are all consistently good, consistently well crafted (which shows his ability to lead crews), and they are all consistently done in his style yet tailored to the film being made. I don't think he makes the "best films ever." In fact, there are tons of directors who's work I enjoy much more - but that goes back to subjectivity again. In purely objective terms it's hard to find fault with how Spielberg has done the job.

Everyone else I can think of has some sort of fault - Nolan's work lacks Spielberg's universality. Cameron's work lacks Spielberg's consistency and depth. Eastwood and Scorsese are generally too narrow in terms of both content and style. Now - I think all of those guys do great work, so none of this is meant to denigrate them in any way. In fact, some of what I mentioned above are those director's strengths. The thing is that I can't see any of them being able to adapt to the variety of stories and maintain the perfect balance of authorial style vs. authorial invisibility which is found in Spielberg's work.

I’m always curious about these types of discussions.

Can an “artist” really be better than another? Sure, we each have
our opinion, but isn’t art subjective and not objective? How does
one objectively compare Nolan to Kubrick to Cameron to Scorcese to
Tarantino to Eastwood?

Kubrick directed 14 features - Nolan 6 so far. Seems to me it’s
not yet fair to make a comparison. Again, I understand that some
people like “2001” and some don’t - some like “Inception” and some
don’t. But can the artistic merit of either director be compared
objectively?

How does one objectively “win” who is the better director or writer?

Can an “artist” really be better than another? Sure, we each have
our opinion, but isn’t art subjective and not objective? How does
one objectively compare Nolan to Kubrick to Cameron to Scorcese to
Tarantino to Eastwood?

Full agreement. I can't speak for everyone, but if I ever use the word "better", I'm doing so facetiously. Discussions like this are merely a reflection of personal preference.

Here is all I will write on this subject and if you reply, don't expect an answer from me:

Cameron knows how to tell a story. Because he can tell a story that more people can relate to and track with thus makes him a better artist by the simple fact that more people enjoy his movies.

Nolan and Kubrick are very good filmmakers, but Cameron takes the cake because he reaches more people...

Art is of no point if it doesn't communicate to people.

But, I think the only true test to actually find out who is "better" is if they each got the same exact script to shoot and watching what they do and how they achieve it.

Last edited:
Here is all I will write on this subject and if you reply, don't expect an answer from me:

Cameron knows how to tell a story. Because he can tell a story that more people can relate to and track with thus makes him a better artist by the simple fact that more people enjoy his movies.

Nolan and Kubrick are very good filmmakers, but Cameron takes the cake because he reaches more people...

But, I think the only true test to actually find out who is "better" is if they each got the same exact script to shoot and watching what they do and how they achieve it.

I guess we disagree and agree. I don't believe art is only to communicate with people and I don't think movies always have to be art. Communicating is obviously important but that isn't all there is. But I do agree we'd have to see if they all did the same script. Even then it is subjective though since they all bring different styles.

I know you won't respond as you stated but I just have to say art is also to communicate suspense and primal emotions. Also I believe art helps us try to communicate with what we don't know or understand. Sort of hyper-realism in some ways. I do have to give Cameron a thumbs up for his connections to the average joe on such high concept pieces of art he has made.

I don't think artistic merit can really be objectively examined, but there are some criteria where someone can be evaluated on the basis of their work and how they get their work done. For example, I think versatility is one of the hallmarks of a great director. It's fairly easy to look at a director's range of films and see if there is a variety of style/subject or if they stick to spectacle, or genre, or some other repeat performance. I don't think this makes someone "artistically superior" in some way :lol: - but from a "directing as a job" standpoint, it seems like a good quality in a director.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Kubrick's nor Nolan's ex-wives have kicked their ass at the Academy Awards with a movie coming in at 1/1,000th of the budget they spent.

Just sayin...

Haha. Good thing Cameron ain't in this to win Oscars. Who is? It's such a silly prize. They're cool for the technical awards, like sound editing, and stuff, because they are being voted on by people who really know their stuff. But for the "bigger" awards, like acting, directing, etc., it's a total sham, an absolute farce (and just in case anybody's thinking it, I felt this way long before "Avatar").

Haha. Good thing Cameron ain't in this to win Oscars. Who is? It's such a silly prize. They're cool for the technical awards, like sound editing, and stuff, because they are being voted on by people who really know their stuff. But for the "bigger" awards, like acting, directing, etc., it's a total sham, an absolute farce (and just in case anybody's thinking it, I felt this way long before "Avatar").

Of course it's a farce.

Nothing's objective when judging "best."

Including your opinion of Cameron.

And mine.

I merely brought it up to poke.

*poke*

:yes:

so what you're saying is that the financial success of a film tells us about its "artistic" quality?

art is communication, true. but a monologue is not communication. the kind of films cameron makes is meant to entertain people, not to provoke thought and responses, his films are meant to be consumed, not received.

It's too bad you have chosen to not answer anyone
who replies to your post. I have a couple of questions
regarding your comments. It would be an interesting
conversation.

Nolan is great but deffintly not as superb as mr. Kubrick =p Cant help but love Dr Strangelove.
as for Cameron, he has reached more people like you mentioned but in my opinion he can burn in hell due to that Dances With Smurf thing of his. 2009's most disapointng day.

It's too bad you have chosen to not answer anyone
who replies to your post. I have a couple of questions
regarding your comments. It would be an interesting
conversation.

He's just showing restraint, because we've had this debate already, and it got insane, quickly. For some reason "Avatar" is a real lightning rod right now. When you start discussing it, all of the lovers and haters start coming out of the woodwork.

If we can keep the discussion limited to directors, in general, without talking too much about a particular movie, maybe we can have a good conversation.

First of all, as I stated before, I agree with you that there's no such thing as "better". I can talk about who I like, and you can talk about who you like, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Nevertheless, I think there's something to be said for mass appeal, and I'm going to have to agree with ROC's sentiment.

A lot of different people, from many different walks of life, from different places the world over seem to really like what James Cameron does. That doesn't mean everyone likes it. But the kind of people that like his movies are diverse -- young, old, rich, poor, white, black, dude, chick. I can't think of anyone who's movie's have had shuch broad appeal since Spielberg's early days.

Personally, I think there's value in that.

Nolan is great but deffintly not as superb as mr. Kubrick =p Cant help but love Dr Strangelove.
as for Cameron, he has reached more people like you mentioned but in my opinion he can burn in hell due to that Dances With Smurf thing of his. 2009's most disapointng day.

directorik, this is what I'm talking about. I'm tellin' ya, they come out of the woodwork. I don't think you want to re-open this debate.

comparing directors or any art form in general is like comparing which is better..blue or red?
this is no exact science...
Cameron rocks..no question about that...he is a true rebel..he 'invents' his way thru every difficulty he faces...

and true heir of kubrick would be Darren Aronofski...in terms of subjects he has handled and how he has handled it...not nolan...:D

Chris Nolan is the best manager of hype in the business. His films are perfectly pleasant but they are all completely average and unoriginal. I thought Inception did so little with it's premise that it was a real dissapointment.

As for James Cameron... whoever said he knows how to tell a good story is way off the mark. James Cameron couldn't spot a good story if it slapped him in the face. Avatar was nothing more than a depressing standard bearer for the shape of things to come, where story telling and proper film making go down the toilet. James Cameron is not a visionary. The people who came up with the technology, who actually built the science, they're visionarys. All Cameron did was say i have a vague idea of a plot (but which isn't in any way a good idea) and a vague idea of how it might be ground breaking, now give me a heck load of cash and get the boffins to work!

"As for James Cameron... whoever said he knows how to tell a good story is way off the mark. James Cameron couldn't spot a good story if it slapped him in the face."
Yes. Terminator was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". But sure it has no story.
Aliens? pschhh... BORING!!

"James Cameron is not a visionary. The people who came up with the technology, who actually built the science, they're visionarys."
Ahem..He *developed* the Fusion Camera System during his underwater adventures like aliens of the deep.

"All Cameron did was say i have a vague idea of a plot (but which isn't in any way a good idea) and a vague idea of how it might be ground breaking, now give me a heck load of cash and get the boffins to work! "
My god you got it exactly right! That's how it happened!!

Back