• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Keying Advice Needed!

Greetings all! So this is my first experiment creating a composite shot with keying. Here is a screenshot of my test footage, which I believe to be a properly lit green screen and subject (driving during the evening on a well-lit city street). Before I attempt to start keying this shot, I can already see my biggest headache is going to be the amount of green screen reflection inside the car, particularly on the headrest, dashboard, and visor.

http://bayimg.com/oAkBfAADC

I've thought of a million different ways I might tackle this shot, but before I start banging my head against the wall tweaking and rendering useless footage, I was wondering if there are any keying "wizards" out there who might be kind enough to offer some advice. I'm using AE5 (so Keylight 1.2), and I also have Colorista II at my disposal.

Last edited:
6157626037_600e02f658_b.jpg

looks good, keys fine

if your background is brown, and you re trying to key it out, then everything that has same color on the foreground will be canceled out as well, so you ll have see through spots in your subject.

if you want an example, check out any mid 90s bad indie sci fi..

I was not thinking about replacing the green screen by a brown screen. The background I was referring to is the futuristic metallic stuff Nate filled in. It's mainly blue. I was wondering if he could use one that would match the hues in the car.

I was not thinking about replacing the green screen by a brown screen. The background I was referring to is the futuristic metallic stuff Nate filled in. It's mainly blue. I was wondering if he could use one that would match the hues in the car.

I can just provide you a pre keyed png I think, I'll see if I have a spare one to print this on.

I took a stab at keying it out. This si what I got after about 10 minutes of messing around inside of Nuke to get the key working. I used Ulimatte, mainly because I prefer it to Keylight, not to say Keylight isn't good.

GreenScreenKey.jpg

I did an inner core garbage matte roto to grab alot of the stuff I thought might come through transpartent due to spill, did a spill suppression ontop of that to color correct the green. Then did an overall (lazy) color correct to the FG car & guy to match the BG. Still needs like fake reflections on the windows to simulate it better. but with some more Color correcting and grain matching it could potentially come out very nice.

Nate did an awesome job keying. He gave us a clean matte while preserving interior spill.

What I will ultimately do is 1) color correct the inside of the car, 2) color correct, motion blur, and diffuse the outside footage, 3) add a layer to simulate window reflection, and 4) add an adjustment layer for color correction to tie everything together.

Back