Just installed a CUDA Card...

So I just installed a GTX 470 in my Mac Pro and wow, Mercury hardware accelerated playback is amazing! I ran effect after effect layered on top of each other on an uncompressed file in Premiere with zero rendering and instant playback. It runs VideoCopilot's new Element 3D fantastic as well.

Only downside, this card has to have the loudest fan on the planet. I went from an extra quiet Mac case (Steve Jobs hated fan noise after all) to a blazing constant 70+db (I pulled out the meter) drone. Going to have to quiet this thing down stat or buy some long cables and put it in another room. I'm going a little nuts listening to it haha.

I've got a pc with the 470. It's definitely nice. My system allows me to add a second card. Apparently the power supply it came with assumed an upgrade at some point. I was thinking of getting a second one. But it's not like I've got so much vfx work that my machine is slowing me down :-(

It's supported. I actually thought it wasn't at first, went through all the steps to change the txt file and when I read it it was already there haha. Turns out I was originally looking at an old list of supported nvidia cards.

Paul, I'm hoping you know the answer to this.
If I want to add another gtx 470 to my system, does the new one have to be by the same manufacturer, or does it not matter. Is the driver generic, or will I need two separate drivers for the differently manufactured cards???

Is it just a bad idea, since my unit seems to be running just fine without any messing around. I was just wondering what it would be like with two cards, that's all, and it seems like if I don't buy the 470 now, it will soon be out of the market and I won't be able to buy another one.

so advise me brother.

Honestly, I'm not sure man. I don't know if a second card would double the cuda cores that Adobe can use or if it can only use one device, and as far as brand/driver I'm pretty clueless. From what I've read the generic brands work ok in some cases, but yeah.

I'm on a Mac too, so it's a different world. I can't fit a second card in my Mac Pro (2008 - 3,1) because the 470 is so tall it blocks the other X16 speed slot that I'd need for another card.

Wish I could be more help, sorry!

Back