• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Jumpy Shot

I'm going to try to explain what I'm going for here and I'm hoping that my usual weakness in conveying something doesn't get in the way because I can't find a clip on youtube showing what I mean... So hang in there with me...

There's a certain shot becoming more popular in films today that I've always really liked the look of but never been able to find ways to replicate. It's usually ONLY a shot, I've never seen an entire scene or film done this way but action films use it quite a bit, usually for only a single shot or so within an action sequence. I've seen it for sure at the end of 28 Days Later and a few times in Saving Private Ryan. It's a shot that looks jumpier than the rest from frame to frame. But the thing is, the speed of what's on screen is completely normal. No slow motion. I seem to remember some one talking about it long ago (of course, I can't remember where) and I thought they said they used a 95 or 45 degree... something... I can't remember what that had to do with anything and I can't really find anything through search engines. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the shutter speed, so I'm kind of confused as to what it could be that they use in that single shot to give it a gritty, jumpy feel to it.

If anyone has any idea, let me know. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the frame rate, maybe. If you're completely lost as to what I'm saying, I'll try to hunt down a clip somehow or explain further. Thanks.

Back