• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Johnson and McFly

I take it you will shoot this yourself. Just be aware that this is not the correct script format if you were submitting to a studio. You might want to get a copy of David Trottier's Screenwriting Bible to understand that process. Also, there is a free software program called CeltX which will not only help with the screenwriting process, but has some useful features for actually arranging your shoot.

As for the script, I thought it started well then kind of slid off into silliness. The dialogues also felt forced rather than natural. In several places you use one of them to get information to explain the scene to the audience. You want to use as little 'exposition by proxy' as possible. The information should be obvious to the audience or the character should just dish. To have the back and forth between the partner--"Did ya see that?" "What?" "There ... the blood." "Uh, what about it?" ... 1. It doesn't really do anything except waste time. 2. The audience sees the blood, so make it relevant rather than point attention to it. Something like "The blood spot ... the pattern suggests a downward thrust." "So you're thinking the attacker was taller than him." To the point and relevant.

Finally the ending was confusing.
At the end of scene 14, Johnson falls into the puddle. McFly stuffs his body ('ex-partner') into the back of his car.
Scene 15, Johnson stands up from the puddle. How'd he jump from the car back to the puddle? Always check your continuity!

It needs some work because it's difficult to read as formatted. The action descriptions are lost between the dialogue lines. I think it's a good start for your own filmmmaking purposes.

Thanks for the input - i probably should have mentioned it is unfinished- and I was in fact filming this myslef. But thank you so much for taking the time to write!

I don't think you need to read "the bible" to know standard formatting. It's pretty simple. I think those books do damage to new writers i.e. death by suffocation. (But let's not have that argument again.)

There are pages posted in other threads that are formatted.

I think you've got something "writerly" about you. Maybe pick up the pace a bit, I was ho-humming pretty early on already. And the ending was unclear. Give it another draft and repost it.

tumblr_l7rcwxC8FD1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

Change the name, it only draws attention away from the character. It will be like calling him PeeWee... Just my 2cents.

Back