• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Jagged edges in footage

I've noticed whenever I film something on my JVC GZ-HD7 camera (1920x1080), I've noticed it has jagged edges to everything. For example, here's a green screen test I did on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9TYt2AJMhM

It's clear to see the jagged edges on Bilbo's arm, the guitar and his shirt. Note that this was filmed at 1920x1080 and I have just cropped the edges to fit the youtube video, so the footage shown is actual original size.

Is there something I can do to get rid of the jagged edges and just have a clear picture?

Try de-interlacing your export, as well. That solves many "jaggies" issues. (Usually the type that show up with fast movement, though)

Rock on, Tenacious.
smiley_rock.gif

p.s. Your guy is way too close to the screen, casting his own shadow on himself.

yeh i didn't deinterlace because i imported the footage unprocessed (direct from camera's hard drive) .. wasn't sure if it was needed.

i'll deinterlace and see if that different it looks .. thanks :)

yeh i know he's too close to the screen... but it was just a screen test so i'm ok with that.. i only had 1 large and 2 small lights, but have since picked up another 4 large lights to work with for the filming tomorrow night :)

alrighty.. so i went into edit the footage and deinterlace, but so it turns out when i exported the video to put on youtube, i didn't see that the deinterlace box was ticked.. so the youtube footage is already deinterlaced but has the jagged edge to it.

Is there something else I can do to get a clean edge?

Back