Jacob's Ladder - Film Review and Detailed Analysis

I don't have any sorry but there's trailers online you can watch so you can at least see some of the film. You could try ebay or amazon and places like that to buy a copy of the movie.

I don't recall it being so much a spiritual journey, as you suggest, but pretty good writeup. It's a great film. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6lHSvKD4uk

Thank for the feedback guys, appreciate it :)

Originally Posted by Zensteve:
I don't recall it being so much a spiritual journey, as you suggest, but pretty good writeup. It's a great film. :cool:

Thanks for the feedback :) I have the Region 4 version of the movie and there's a documentary on there that interviews director Adrian Lyne and screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin. It's a good documentary that gives you some insights into how they both approached the story.

Bruce thinks of it as a spiritual journey and when I thought about it I discovered I agreed with him, so that's where that came from. But what I find interesting about this movie is how well it's structured, among other things :D

The screenwriter had envisioned lots of impressive visual effects for the demons and his version of heaven was more grandiose. But the director convinced him that the way to go about it was to not have, for example the hospital receptionist with these huge horns out of her head because it would look ridiculous and make people laugh.

There's a lot that was taken out of the film that was in the original script.
One of these is when Jezzie appears at Jacob's old apartment and confronts him as a huge winged demon that taunts him, and tries to stop him from reaching Gabe.

Chimp, you must rewatch ;)

Last edited:
I liked it a lot too, and watched it about a year ago for the first time. I usually don't like movies where:

it turns out to be all a dream or didn't really happen in the end

But this one added a lot of depth and emotional compulsion to it for me.

Back