I've decided I want to make the move to LA

First off -- MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

I've had the last few weeks dwell on all the great advice of the community regarding my thread about hoping to someday become a writer/director...

Thanks to everyone here, I have a much more realistic approach for my journey into the industry....But I also have a few issues.
To get straight to the point -- I have a very conflicting relationship with my surroundings -- I just don't fit in here at all, I live in the rural deep south and have very little in common with people here.
I've always wanted to move to a big city and I'm the point in my life that I'm ready to do it. I've been to San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Redmond, and a few other big cities, and loved every minute spent in each.

So, I'm back to my original thinking of moving out to LA, not to shop my screenplays around (which I'm probably not ready for) -- but to jump in and get my hands dirty -- to just get on set and do anything I can; paint sets, file papers, get coffee, take out the trash, put stuff together, and anything else they throw at me, basically all of the grunt work that no one really wants to do -- I want to show up on time, do the work, ask for more, stay late, and never complain.

As I've said before; I have zero film experience, plenty of stage acting experience, and lots of amateur writing experience. I feel if I can get in there and see the filmmaking processes first-hand, I'll have an even greater appreciation of the industry and be more prepared when it comes to my own work.

As for the sort of jobs I can get with zero experience, what can I expect? I'm more than willing to work for free if a good opportunity presents itself. Is it hard to get a job a Production Assistant or Producer Assistant with no experience? Are there any other positions I could also look into that would get me on set and not stuck in an office?

Do PA jobs usually require your own source of transportation? Would not having my own source of transportation hinder my chances of getting a job? I would assume so, I'm just wondering if I could sell my car and get around on public transport for awhile. Is public transportation in LA any good? Is it dangerous?

I've looked into housing, and I'd most likely end up staying with a roommate in San Fernando Valley (about 20 mins from LA) since apartments in that area are much more affordable. Based on the expenses I've calculated, I have enough saved up to last me 7 months.
If I had to start out working for free, is it realistic to assume that I could go from working for free to around $500/week within 7 months? I do have a safety net of falling back on freelance programming to make money when needed -- but I'd like to leave that life behind when I make the move.

Where could I look for entry-level job listings in the industry? Right now I've been using Craigslist and EntertainmentCareers.net. Are there any more?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you, everyone.

I only have worked on my sets. Mr. Brox, so all of that stuff would be alien lingo to me...and if I eventually am able to parlay my experience/body of work into something more lucrative, I don't want to be totally lost. At this point the only thing that would have me moving out to work on those sets would expect me to know that language.

Working in IT, you have to know a certain specialized language to operate effectively with other IT folks...same as with physicians, mechanics, sales people, musicians, etc... If learning the language will make it easier to learn what's happening around you, that 3rd time the gaffer calls for someone to grab a double for the baby at the end of the day and you magically show up with it, that knowledge of language may have just bumped you up the ladder.

I only have worked on my sets. Mr. Brox, so all of that stuff would be alien lingo to me...and if I eventually am able to parlay my experience/body of work into something more lucrative, I don't want to be totally lost.

And on MY sets, using the term C47 in my presence would likely result in ridicule and jibes. So I guess you never know. :)

Hmmm.. I got a resource who is hooking me up as a P.A. on featured films over the summer. I better get cracking on these jargons. What are some basic books you guys suggest I should read? Would appreciate it, thanks!

There's very little point in spending too much time worrying about what you don't know... if you're definitely going, then you need to take a serious inventory of all the skills you DO have! And by this I mean not just work skills, but anything that you know how to do.

When I was teaching actors for a living, I'd tell them the most important thing on their CV was their list of skills... an actor who was a great horseman, could ride a motorcycle and rock climb was always going to have the edge when a producer was looking for that skill set. This doesn't just apply to actors, it applies to everyone. Most job opportunities come when an organisation needs to do a particular thing, but can't find anyone with the skills. In LA they are a million people who know what a C47 is, but you might be the only person applying with computer skills and the ability to juggle geese.

Truth is, you never know what obscure piece of knowledge or skill is going to be the key to the door... and most skills are transferable. So, for instance, when I quit advertising I used the skills I'd acquired making indie films into a teaching job. Basically, a drama school paid me for four years to teach acting for media and all the time I was really learning how to direct actors... sweet. :cool:

The only other thing I'd point out is changing locations very rarely helps people fit in... you're generally either a person who fits, or someone who never does... I've always been a outsider, where ever I've lived. I used to think it was a problem, but eventually I figured out that many great writers are slightly separate. It's something about stepping back and seeing things as they are, from the outside.

All I'm saying is, don't expect to suddenly fit in, in LA... it doesn't strike me as city that holds a parade for people fresh off the bus.

Last edited:
There's very little point in spending too much time worrying about what you don't know... if you're definitely going, then you need to take a serious inventory of all the skills you DO have! And by this I mean not just work skills, but anything that you know how to do.

I think this is the very definition of guerrilla filmmaking. :)

-- spinner :cool:

Thanks again to everyone for offering such great advice. This really is the greatest forum I've ever been a member of.

I went to a party last night and met a PA (and aspiring director) from LA that was in town visiting his parents for Christmas/New Years. Really great guy with a lot of advice to offer. He suggested getting a steady job and then working as an extra on weekends and networking/building a reputation to get better positions.

I'm going to head out and visit him in LA after the writers strike is over, check out the area a bit and get things in order.
I asked him his opinion of the directors/actors strike in June and he seemed to hint that it didn't seem like a big deal -- that it was most likely to either not get to the point of a strike (as in, negotiations would work out) or a strike wouldn't last long. And if it did happen, there would always be a good amount of non-union work still in production.

That's just one guys opinion on the matter... What does everyone else think about the actors/directors strike?

I was born and raised in LA. First off let me say keep your car. This is a city that is spread out and the public transportation is terible.

Second I worked for a couple years first as a PA then moved up to a AD. It was rather interesting. Its more of a thing where you learn what not to do when making your films. These jobs are fairly easy to get but they are very sporatic.

One thing to think about is to wait tables. You will meet alot of actors for your projects and its a good place to network.

LA is an amzing city and will probably be a huge influence on you. It can be a rough place to move to I know a lot of people that came and left with in 2 years.

Also LA has some very bad areas so look into where you will be living or traveling through.

If you do make the move send me an email when you get into town I will buy you a cup of coffee

Thank you so much, 138abstract!

I was born and raised in LA. First off let me say keep your car. This is a city that is spread out and the public transportation is terible.
I am planning on keeping my car now. I think I've decided to hold off on moving until I see how the potential SAG/DGA strikes pan out in June (hopefully the WGA strike will be over by then). That'll be at least another 6 months of income I can make from programming work to save up for my move (I will be so glad when I can completely quit programming -- I hate with a passion).

Second I worked for a couple years first as a PA then moved up to a AD. It was rather interesting. Its more of a thing where you learn what not to do when making your films. These jobs are fairly easy to get but they are very sporatic.
That's exactly what I want to do. Make my way to PA, then AD, then directing commercials and music videos before tackling feature lengths.

One thing to think about is to wait tables. You will meet alot of actors for your projects and its a good place to network.
Waiting tables does seem to be the best route for having a stable source of income in the beginning. I imagine the tips are pretty good too.

LA is an amzing city and will probably be a huge influence on you. It can be a rough place to move to I know a lot of people that came and left with in 2 years.

Also LA has some very bad areas so look into where you will be living or traveling through.
I love big cities, I've yet to see LA... I'll be visiting in the next month or so to get a feel for things. I know LA has some pretty bad areas with high crime rates, I'm doing my best to have enough money saved up so I'll be able to stay in a nice area. I know it will be hard, but I'm confident in myself.

If you do make the move send me an email when you get into town I will buy you a cup of coffee
I absolutely will do that! I'd love to meet anyone else in the business! If you PM me your email address I will make sure to get up with you when I get there. Again, thank you so much!

Last edited:
Attitude and other skills are what I look for when employing a junior in my main business, graphic design.

Any one with a 'not willing to learn attitude' doesn't stand a chance, you'd be surprised how many people have. I would definitely expect them to have done something, even amateur, before they showed up. Even if it was just a well produced C.V. (resumé). I'd want to 'see' some evidence that they were self motivated.

Other skills show an ability to learn and who knows it may be something the employer has always wanted to do (i.e. rock climbing), so you'll get a bit of instant respect.

Good luck.
Steven

at 54 years of age i am not interested in the money side. I work full time and have enough income to meet my needs and many of my wants. I do want to create something on film. I was reading a book and the author said there are 2 kinds of film makers those that read and read and those those that do. I made the film, i was amazed at how much more i want to make a film. Equipment is not an issue,I use the least expensive i can find..why? For the same reason you don't drive the most expensive car. What you drive will do for now.Same thing for Indie movie making. Just get out and do it...even if you are by yourself. Use a el Cheapo camera. You just got to do something, where you live wont matter. Deep south, Northeast or out west, each has its good points and bad ones as well. if you are looking for excuses let me know i have a nice long list..I'll dig it out of the garbage can for you...jammer

QUOTE=spinner;66063]You made a film? Good for you!

If you are determined to head out to LA, I wish you luck :yes: Maybe you will get discovered!

also, I found this site, maybe it will help: Media Match

http://www.media-match.com/welcome.php

-- spinner :cool:[/QUOTE]

jammer :)

Who looks for excuses not to do something? Not me. BUT, I believe in stacking the deck as much as possible. If I was about excuses, I wouldn't be doing this filmmaking thing at my age -- don't ask -- I wouldn't now be trying to do the film thing without any help -- I guess people just don't want to do what I want to do, certainly not docs.

I LOVE DOCUMENTARIES. Everyone else wants to do narratives. :rolleyes: :) That's cool. I even have some short stories I've written and can very clearly see them as narratives. Eventually. Right now, I'm doing docs and I like it alot.

I have taken a big risk in deciding to do this film thing. I have much less of a safety net than I would like to admit. Its not making excuses to be realistic about what I know, what I have, what I can do and what I cannot.

Nor would it be unrealistic for you :)

what kind of filmmakers read and read and do and read some more and do and read...

Me. :yes:

Except I read and read, then write, then read, then write, then shoot, edit, curse the stupid computer, edit some more, churn out a disc and make no money off it because I did it for a friend, read some more, write, read, make another disc for another friend... It's a vicious cycle.

So far, I've produced two DVDs and one music CD over the last 16 months and have made zero profit. Not a bad thing, but not conducive to a career change anytime soon.

Me. :yes:

Except I read and read, then write, then read, then write, then shoot, edit, curse the stupid computer, edit some more, churn out a disc and make no money off it because I did it for a friend, read some more, write, read, make another disc for another friend... It's a vicious cycle.

So far, I've produced two DVDs and one music CD over the last 16 months and have made zero profit. Not a bad thing, but not conducive to a career change anytime soon.

This is almost exactly what I have done over the last few months, only I am still working on the 2nd DVD. I am considering what to do about the music video thing. I've only made one of those....

Back