I've added 4 old articles...

I've added 4 older articles to my website I'd written for the "1000 dollar film" project ezine produced at one point by an indietalk alum.

I've put links to them in the "Articles" box near the top right of my page. The ezine is no longer, but the content it contains is quite valid still.

http://www.yafiunderground.com

tell me what you think. I did only ever produce these 4 before the project got cancelled, but I'm happy with the work.

To be complete, I'll add them here. I'm constantly reminding folks that posts to other sites are promotional... so I'll bring the content here :) I'd still appreciate your taking a look at the site though as I have other good stuff there as well, including our entire journey from "can't stand watching it" to "not bad"

01.Intro

My name is Cole McDonald. I am a filmmaker. Over the past 5 years, I've been pursuing the craft and art of filmmaking. I've shot 8 shorts and 1 feature in that time. As most of my learning was done online for free, I believe that I should "Pay It Forward". In order to share what I've learned, We'll need to start with a couple of philosophical stances I will present:

1) Time = Money, Filmmaking is a really expensive endeavor. Even the cheapest of productions that hit any kind of tangible distribution can cost tens of thousands of dollars. I haven't had money to spend on productions, so I've pursued the process from that perspective. Realistically, People buy houses now for tens of thousands of dollars, whereas in the past, pioneers have spent time instead to fell trees, cut logs, and build houses without the benefit of a budget. Existing resources and time were spent on these homes. I've been applying this same concept to filmmaking and I believe that a little determination and dedication can provide opportunities to become a filmmaker even if you can't afford film school or equipment, or big stars, or a dozen cars to crash in flaming balls of twisted metal wreckage.

2)Filmmakers fall on a scale that I've created and will delineate here now (caution, I'm opinionated and it comes out in this list):

A) Hollywood
- Huge spectacle, amazing cinematography
- Huge budgets (specifically funded directly by the huge studios)
- Huge stars
- Huge amounts of legal red tape and all union shoots
- Film, period
- Huge distribution for just about every single film that comes through the channel

B) Independent
- Great cinematography
- More character studies and dramas, More depressing endings
- Much smaller budgets (although still in the hundreds of thousands of dollars raised outside the studio system)
- Huge stars who are attracted by the depth of the characters and willing to work for scale
- Huge amounts of legal red tape and all union shoots
- Mostly Film
- Wide distribution domestically and overseas through the same channels as Hollywood films if they get picked up by the studios

C) Indie
- Some moments of amazing cinematography, but very wide variety of skill levels
- Weaker scripts which are all shockingly similar - every once in a while though a stand out story makes these
- Budgets anywhere from $0 to tens of thousands
- No possibility of star power due to the budgetary constraints at this level
- Legal is much more lax as the distribution limitations make the possibility of legal action less likely.
- Mostly non-union shoots with some SAG Indie contract jobs
- Some Film, mostly Digital due to budget
- A few get picked up and go on to fairly large distribution, most get self- distributed online or straight to DVD

D) Student
- Some moments of good cinematography, wider variety of skill levels
- Same 5 weak scripts and experimental films
- Budgets in the tens of dollars
- Same classmates in every film made at this university in the same 4 years
- Legality is very lax due to the "Educational Use" laws.
- non-union
- Film vs. Digital depends on the school
- I have seen some amazing student films, but mostly I consider them a necessary evil
- These get show on campus and may someday end up on a compendium like "Reel Talent" if the directors get famous

E) Guerilla
- Generally bad cinematography but hey, they're learning
- generally chaotic storytelling
- student budgets (although they aren't really considered budgets at this level)
- Usually a group of friends who run around making cheesy little films together
- Complete disregard for legality totally anathema to the unions
- almost entirely digital now, this has changed from 20 years ago with the advent of the VHS cams and now the DV cams
- lots of these are just unwatchable, I still consider these a necessary evil as they are the witches cauldrons that produce filmmakers once they grow up and realize that there are legal ramifications to the work they want to distribute
- Online self-distribution if any, legal woes are just a success away... The lawyers won't hound these filmmakers about their lack of rights to music, locations or appearance unless they get wide distribution

My focus in the future of this magazine will be to attempt to push the level of the Indie filmmakers up toward the Independent filmmakers... although the Independents are welcome to come play with us too to learn how to spend time instead of money to achieve a higher level of filmmaking than we should be able to shoot for at this level. I intend to develop a way of looking at problems and solutions from the viewpoint of not being able to spend money to buy equipment or things that can increase your production values. All aspects of the production cycle will be covered to get a true DIY filmmaking experience dialed in.

02.The business of no-budget filmmaking

I've made a feature and 8 short films. This hasn't been done alone. I have a dedicated team of enthusiasts that I call upon every time I want to make a movie. We've even gotten to the point where they call me if they have an idea they want to produce. In Hollywood (the state of mind, not the location), this means you have to pay all of these people. While I would love to cut paychecks for all of the members of Y.A.F.I.:Underground, we are hobbyists and realize that this is either working toward becoming a paid gig, or an elaborate outlet for our creative needs. We don't expect money at this point. And quite frankly at this point, we don't let anyone help us who will need it. We're not snobs or altruists about how art should be free and all that garbage, we're just not in a position where we can pay anyone.

We do have a form of payment that is non-monetary. I'm not talking about the craft services table either (usually a stale bag of chips and 2-liter of soda). We provide a safe place for people to explore their particular area of expertise, either one they want to improve in, or one they want to try out to see how they can handle it. We've come upon some amazingly talented behind the camera folks that way.

I've shot in some amazing locations too. I've paid to shoot in one of them (Actually, Pat paid for it - Kudos to him). That money was not actually for the location, but the staff needed to allow us to be there. All of these locations were selected out of dozens of similar locations based on one thing...could we shoot there, with their blessing, for free! When scouting for a location in a script, I start by having driven all over town for the past 5 years with locations always tugging at the back of my mind. I'm a filmmaker, it's all consuming, there's nothing I can do about it.

After reading a script and deciding we're going to produce it, my Producer and I break down the script and suck all the locations needed out of it. From this list, I go through the list of places that would look neat in my head and see if any fit. I know from talking to the cities in my surrounding area which places I can plant a camera and shoot (we call it filming when talking to the authorities, especially in this post-9/11 crazy world) without spending a dime. These are at the top of my list. I also will open the phonebook and start calling places of business that fit business-like locations alphabetically. I ask each in turn the same question:

"Hello, my name is Cole McDonald. I'm a local independent filmmaker and would like to ask you an out of the ordinary question. I have a script I'm developing that has a location in it similar to your place of business. The script is about [insert short story synopsis here...you have written one so you sound intelligent on the phone right? and rehearsed saying it excitedly?] and would greatly benefit from having a realistic looking location for that scene. When our production is finished our film will be [insert screening plans here, competition/festival/local theater] which will guarantee a captive and interested audience who will generally watch to see who helped out with the production. I'd like to offer you a special thanks credit at the end of the film that lists you business name, profession, location, phone number and website address. Would that be something that you'd be interested in?"

They are allowed to say no! Most of them will. But that one that says yes gets really cheap advertising. Ask your local newspaper how much a full page ad is sometime and compare to the cost of keeping their business open a couple of extra hours for you (never mention this cost to them, just the cost of the advertising). The guarantee of eyeballs is a big deal too. Know how many people generally attend the distribution outlet for your production, these numbers are important, they tell the business owner (you are talking to the right person right?) how much exposure their "altruistic donation to the local arts community" will get them.

Once you find a location willing to let you shoot there, ask permission to come and take location scout pictures with a little still camera. This will allow you to plan your shoot before hand - get panoramic shots (click, turn 45 degrees, repeat) to help you out with this task. Make sure you have a copy of the script when you first meet with them as well so they can read the content. Keep in mind that nothing will chase off most business owners faster than a film that casts their business in a negative light...or shows them supporting controversial issues. These things may seem trivial to you, but can impact them financially on a grand scale if their customers withhold their money based on your choice of topic for your film.

You also have a responsibility to the company now. They are investors in your film. Treat them with respect, because quite frankly, if you piss them off - or even fail to keep them happy, they can pull the plug at anytime during your production in that location. They have every right to do so as well. They pay insurance, lighting, heating, rent/lease. You will generally come in with a handful of people they have never seen or met before and they are trusting that you will be sensitive to their business needs.

We were shooting in a floral shop on my feature. We were allowed to do so during business hours. I made sure that we stopped filming whenever there were customers in the portion of the store we were using so we wouldn't interrupt the business. The net result, free set dressing, free location, and the ability to shoot there again in the future. The business owner even liked us so much, he threw in flowers for our scene (we tried to pay for them) that he knew were going to get trodden upon!

You also have a responsibility to finish the film (I'm still working on my feature - I'm the only one still working on it so it's going more slowly than I had hoped). Without the film being finished, it doesn't get shown. Without being shown, it doesn't get the promised eyeballs looking at their businesses card at the end of the film. Without this happening they, in essence, are not getting paid for your use of their location.

Remember always that you are in a business, whether you have a budget or not! Treat this like you are paying everyone, copy and credit doesn't mean anything on a finished product that you haven't given your best effort. In essence, you are making reel footage for your cast and crew. If you approach every shot like it needs to stand alone for the people involved in it, every shot will be better for it.

This is not a cheap hobby either, I've spent thousands of dollars on equipment and software to be able to pursue this hobby. Collectively, all of the equipment any of your group purchases is their investment into your filmmaking endeavors. This investment helps to convince your resources (Actors, Crew, Location Owners, Sponsors - like local restaurants for food for your cast) that you are serious about what you are doing.

Always know not only how many people will be on location, but how few can potentially be used for the location shots if they start to be concerned about it. Before you shoot at the location, make sure you get a "Signing Authority" to sign a release form that you've generated. It needs to state that you can not only shoot there, but that images of their business can be used for your project. It should also state that you will not hold them liable if there are any injuries to your production team (cast/crew) and that you will be held liable if you damage their property.

So you're at the point now where you are having to start acting like a real live "Hollywood" production. You're responsible for making a product that will please your investors and benefit them financially in the long run. Next time you go to a big blockbuster movie, consider the cost of making it. If you watch through the credits, you'll start to realize the true scope of the images before you. Stop thinking like an "Indy filmmaker" and start thinking bigger. Phone calls are cheap and the word "No" isn't as scary as most people think it is. Get others excited about your film, that goes a long way in getting the resources you need. Don't ever think small again!

I have called the local prison to ask if I could use their front lawn as a location. I've call the police and asked if I could use an off duty police officer, I've gotten "No" on some pretty awesome ideas. But I've also shot in an abandoned hospital with permission from the owners, I've shot with free access in a 200 year old theater. I've shot in a local park with prop firearms...with permission from the city and an on-site inspection of the weapons by the local constabulary.

It's amazing what some people will give you to shoot just due to their excitement about your project. Write projects that get people excited. Start building a rolodex/database of places you'd like to shoot, take a small camera everywhere you go, snap pictures of neat houses, parks, buildings, indoors, businesses, anything you can find that is visually interesting. When you get home, write down the address of the place and try to get the phone number associated with it. You can even do preliminary calling to gauge interest form the owners.

Sometimes, having used a competitor in a previous production can inspire a business owner (or a homeowner in a keeping up with the Jones' kind of way) to contribute to your next one. Thank everyone, smile even when on the phone and never be afraid to ask...to quote my Father (Gary McDonald - he dies in scene one of Death Bed): "The worst they can do is say no."

03.Think Bigger!

I've heard the "write a script with what you've got access to" thing alot. Even Robert Rodriguez, the role model for low-budget filmmakers everywhere says this. I think this is ok for your first couple of shorts, after that it's your responsibility to start thinking bigger.

Every indie film I've seen (and made) has the same components. Two people trapped somewhere in an awkward situation talking... Generally across a table... No more! I will make the comparison that I see conversations between two people in big budget hollywood movies all the time. Somehow, they make it compelling. Some of it may be the level of acting, but I've seen some really amazing indie level actors that should be able to pull off this type of dialog. What is missing is the subtle camera movement, the background action, the people at neighboring tables, the carefully chosen wall art and set dressing around the people. Perhaps even the location should be changed to make a more lively scene.

Being as we have covered getting cooler locations last time, let's consider the Panic Room with Jodi Foster. The beginning of the film is Ms. Foster and her character's real estate agent walking down a street and talking. This is not conversation at a table, it's got other things happening in the frame to look at and texture the world, make it feel like the scene isn't comprised of two actors sitting at a table who have just dug into some dialog driven banter. Even Clerks has interesting set dressing by shooting in an actual convenience store. The hint that the picture on the screen is more than just a movie is what draws the audience into a film.

The hardest thing in this new layer of complexity in your filmmaking endeavor is that you will need to deal with new challenges. You'll be required to shoot faster. This means your actors will have to have memorized their lines... which means rehearsal time before hitting the location. When you're on location, you may add people for that life outside the screen. Even something as simple as having a person walk back and forth across the frame in front of the subjects close to the camera will sell the background noise of a busy police station you're going to be adding to show your cop and his perp talking across a desk in a busy precinct HQ.

If you also add 2 people picking up and dropping off random papers and manila envelopes at occupied desks, suddenly the people noise and phones ringing in the background have a context and become real rather than just sound FX. Managing extras means that you'll probably need to add someone to the directing staff (you've been working on growing your crew anyway and realizing that this really is a cooperative craft/art form) just to manage the extra bodies on set while you talk to the actors and the camera department (2 people can comprise a department - and you'd be shocked how complex you can start thinking when you get a camera operator and someone to push a dolly with them on it).

My last 48 hour competition, we ended up with about 25 people at a german restaurant. 11 of them ended up on screen at the same time in the master shot for the scene. 5 actors at the main table, 4 extras pretending to talk on the table camera left and 1 extra who gets up to leave the table camera right crossing foreground to camera left. I also had one of our producers cross right near the camera at a leisurely walk left to right, then back a little later in the shot. This gave not only a sense of life, but a natural edit point for moving into the closer shots.

These shots are some of the most convincing shots I've done so far in terms of creating a world on screen, not just a static shot of actors delivering dialog. Keeping in mind that we, as filmmakers, have to suck the audience into the story to make it work, every frame of every shot needs to acknowledge the rest of the world. On stage, actors will pretend to look out the window and see the neighbors out in the wings of the stage. On film, we can show the window and the outside. We have to do so!

Start involving your audience in the shots, build a world for them to inhabit with your characters. These simple things will help keep your audience connected to your story. This will make them appreciate you as a story teller more and allow them to connect with your characters more easily. This also takes the onus off of the dialog to deliver your story (STAGE!) and allows you to use visuals to make the story real.

04.The DIY Mindset

OK... So I've written three articles and not a single mention of building your own DIY dolly, crane, 35mm adaptor or goofy car mount. I was brought on board by our glorious editor Clive to be the DIY guy, but haven't been posting any of the typical DIY guy things. That's because there are already a ton of these resources out there (and we'll get to those).

When coming up with where to go with this column, my first priority was to find a part of the DIY universe that hasn't been explored as much as the obvious topics. It occurred to me that why DIY people make their own things, even though they've been made before and are widely available, is a lesser understood phenomenon. I came to this conclusion while posting to one of the filmmaking forums I frequent.

Online, questions about how to solve a specific problem with no budget come up and the answer is invariably "Buy this doohicky for US$300 and all your worries melt away!" These answers are given by industry professionals and are the accepted method of solving the specific problem on a professional set. The problem with this is the answer doesn't fulfill the initial request... specifically, the no budget part. No budget solutions are what I've been doing for the past 5 years in my pursuit of the elusive beast that is a good film that captivates an audience.

I am constantly surprised when I present a no-budget solution, how often the "it's easier just to buy it" comment comes out. Being able to build it yourself is exactly the point. It's the driving motivation behind filmmaking and any other creative pursuit. The DIY mindset, therefore, is the focus of this column. The drive to create at every level of production, even if it means throwing away the thinking box (the one that people are always trying to find the outside of), is really a pursuit unto itself. Removing the "this is how it's done" boundaries can really unleash your creativity and bolster your projects, infusing them with their own life.

In pursuing this obsession, I've come to find that good filmmakers either just get it, or have to construct and analyze the results of every moment of every project they do to see what works and what doesn't to get to the place where the "naturals" start. The advantage we have as DIY folks is that starting from the craft side (rather than the art side) of filmmaking, when we get to the point where we are ready to spend the correct amount of time on every single element on screen, we've made our little test films. We've dissected and analyzed what worked and what didn't. We've figure out how to fix the problems. We've come up with interesting solutions to all of the little niggling problems that can each be solved with a us$300 doohicky, or with a half an hour of elbow grease and ingenuity.

I just watched an hour long film by a first time filmmaker who just went out and bought a camera and started shooting ( <a href="http://www.hdehal.com/filmandvideo.php">Oceana</a> ). It was absolutely captivating even through all its technical problems. I've done 9 shorts and a feature that I consider learning projects and the earliest ones are almost unwatchable. I'll expect most filmmakers don't just come out the door swinging like this guy did, they (myself included) tend to start from the lowest level and hone their story telling abilities by making movies that are either unwatchable or entirely derivative (be proud of these films anyway).

When encountered with problems on set, having the DIY mindset allows us to troubleshoot a problem, evaluate the possible solutions and solve the problems in a very proactive and immediate way. The alternative would be to give up and wait for the delivery gal with our doohicky in a brown parcel.

I will get around to figuring out builds, evaluating and comparing the builds that exist around the web for solving a specific on set equipment problem. Until then, I'll be focussing on approaching all of filmmaking as a DIY build project. This is how I've approached filmmaking thus far and is the mindset I'd like to share with all of you. I've already started with the pre-production phase and will continue with some more of that, then move on to production and later post production. If you leave comments on topics you'd like to get a DIY perspective on, I'd love to read them and include them in future articles.

Back