Its a deep burn!!!!

Now for those of you who haven't read my awesome profile, you may be surprised to know I am an AVID mountain biker. I often race Harleys and Kawasakis because I am THAT extreme. Last night, while God was pissing on NYC I decided to take a bike ride through the local park, some people might know it, Forest Park. Its a nice big park, home to concerts, skateboarders, and homeless. Its got a path lined with thick woods, for pedestrian runners, bladers, and riders. I started out fine, trekking up the steep hill, making it to the top in near Armstrongian time. I turned right into the entrance of this pedestrian path, noticing immediately it would be a quiet, meditative ride. With no one on the rode, less a couple runners, I was speeding quickly as the rain fell at a constant and heavy rate-I mean who lets the rain stop them from living right?-perhaps those that live in the Amazon. Anyway, I rode down this serene path for about fifteen minutes, getting completely saturated and WET-oh yea ladies!!!--I come to a patch of woods that is much thinner, almost anorexic, compared to the rest of the Queens version of Sherwood Forest. I decide, "hey Chris, that's enough for today, take that short cut through the woods, the streets right there, just do it, Nike'd be proud." I do it. I take the dirt path that veers off into this section of woods, I see basketball courts just past the last tree, I figure piece of cake. The dead and dried up spines from the trees cover the ground and little logs and overgrown twigs. Its a mountain bike though, so I beaassst over it all. I get to another dip in the dirt right before the courts. PAUSE. At the end is a concrete ledge that drops off onto the grass surrounding, rather framing, the red, white and blue basketball court-it seems my neighborhood is more patriotic than I would've first guessed. I see no fence blocking my route and the ledge appears to be pretty low. "Fuck it, you only live twice." I was already on the decline so I grabbed the brakes to keep the bike steady, hopped on, and slowly released. My slow creeping turned into a quicker rolling down. Will it be enough? I hit the ledge, gripped the handlebar tight, pulled up as hard and quick as I could, but like the ending to Shutter Island, it wasn't enough. I was off the ledge. I was coming down too soon. PANIC. My front tire hit the ground harshly and immediately stopped the momentum from the last decline. I flipped over the handlebars, landed on a combo of right shoulder, cranium, and ribs. The pain in my shoulder was immediately excruciating but years of hockey and other full contact activities conditioned me to be a tough guy, allowing myself to only wince at the shooting, throbbing, injury. I was in no hurry; I just lied there hoping the rain would some how ease, what I imagined Christ felt like during his passion fruit. Composing my self and diving into my inner monk, I picked up my bike and went on my way, hitting as little bumps and curbs as possible. I got home, still soaked from the Divine Piss, thinking "ah its all better now, I'll lie down and let the smoke from a joint soothe my battle wound. Took me thirty minutes to peel off my shirt and shorts, and another ten to put on dry clothing-didn't even bother with a towel.

I'm sitting at work, disguising my pain so I can use the excuse next week. But while chipping away at the monotony that occurs at a 9-5 office job, I discovered, I kind of like the pain. I enjoy it. Sure it hurts, sure I better make sure a friend is present when I take a crap, but I still smile when it hurts. My thinking is every and any experience is a good experience. Its all relative to the life you live or want to live. If you take the risk, you fail, you despise yourself for taking that risk, thinking, "why do I torture my mind, body, and soul? What the fuck was I thinking?" I say, fuck it, live and learn then get hugs. You learn to take risks, learn to embrace those risks, love those risks, be one with those risks. At the end of the day all we have is our humanity, maybe some beers and weed, but what is it to be human without curiosity? What is it to be curious without taking the risk to know? While I wallow in my pain, thinking how I could've hit the ledge better, maybe faster, I do not regret it happening. Ok, so I'll have to go leftie when I wanna pleasure my Jameson, but a small price to pay for the experience.

Ha! Good story! Life is pain. It is beauty and joy, it is tacos and tomatoes. It is a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon, a warm stout on a Thursday evening and the mind-numbing drudgery of a 9-5. I believe there is something to be appreciated in everything, and you got a good story out of it! Something I could see a character telling another in a film.

And let's share pain stories! The worst pain I ever felt in my life:

When I was younger, I was a bit more sporty than I am now. Years of hockey, tennis with friends, lacrosse, snowboarding, etc. I rarely took it too seriously, but usually had fun. Summers were often spent down at the local tennis courts, about a half mile from my house, with a friend or two (I had a lot more of those as well back then).

One of those friends was Matt. He was captain of the high school tennis team. He usually won, but not by much. I had a considerably harder serve, but not as consistent. Because I was playing entirely for fun, I would go all out, all the time. Just push myself to stupid degrees, just to see if I could. When he started joining the school team, he tried to get me to as well, but I didn't have the drive or discipline and, let's face it, I was never much of a "joiner".

I should also add, at this point, that this was in Oswego, New York. Right on Lake Ontario, known for long very snow-filled winters. Anyone who has any experience with the term lake-effect snow knows what I'm talking about; it's a different experience. This is only relevant because my main mode of transportation was my bike, including during the winter. It was dumb and more than a little insane, but on my feet I was fast and had incredible endurance.

This one game, we had a long volley going. His superior skill, but my strength usually led to pretty short points. I'd flub, he'd get one over on me or not be able to return mine (2 points to 1, again, he usually won). I also had a tendancy to chase after EVERY ball. There was no letting go; I'd give it a try no matter how fast and far away. This particular volley had me moving a lot. He had me going corner to corner, but somehow I was able to get there in time to return it (though not with enough time to set up one of my harder shots to get the point). The point went on and on, each of us reaching the decision that there was no WAY we'd let ourselves lose this one. Finally, he dropped one in the front right corner of the court while I was behind the baseline. I ran and dove for it, sliding on my knees, racket extended in front of me to just barely catch the ball. My knees and upper shins were skinned, it felt like to the bone, but I hardly had time to react to that.

Catching the ball like that, there was little I could do but loft it over the net. Easy point for Matt, but damn did I give it my all. Picture the court for a moment. I'm about 6 feet from the net, in the front corner. On my knees, racket extended in front of me, a moment away from losing my balance and falling on my wrists. There is no way I can get up to do anything, let alone return the ball. All he has to do is tap it, anywhere on the court, and he wins the point. I should also mention that this was by no means a significant point. Wouldn't have won the match, not even the game. After the long volley, however, Matt felt compelled to smash it as hard as he could, just to rub it in. I don't fault him, I would have done the same, as much to release the tension of the long volley as to laugh at the other. What I do fault him for, however, is his aim.

He was about as far away from the net as I was. Hitting as hard as he possibly could. The ball rocketed towards me, bounced right between my spread knees and up into my groin. My skinned knees no longer mattered. Collapsing funny on my wrists no longer mattered. The exhaustion of running all over throughout that long volley no longer mattered. I collapsed, unable to even scream. There wasn't QUITE enough pain to pass out in shock, but my vision exploded and I was unable to move. Matt was caught between being mortified and laughing his ass off. I don't know how long it took me before I could stand up. I certainly couldn't ride my bike back home; it took me close to an hour to walk back.

We finished the match the next week. He won.

Thats a good story. Seems no matter how much space we always seem to come close or in your case hit, the only object for miles. Its like the takes a moment to look at a map on a desert rode, hits the only rock for ages.

You must be young.

I'm 24. You mist be over the hill huh? lol

Don't worry, you'll grow up someday and it will all change, for the better mind you. ;) Some experience and perspective will teach you that what you think is pain now, is not even close to the true suffering of a "fist wrapped around a roll of quarters repeatedly punching you in the face" that life has waiting just around the corner.

haha, why do people keep thinking I'm an inexperienced youngling?

I haven't had the quarters to my face but I can tell you a broken rib from a baseball bat probably hurts just as much.

I just think that all experience good or bad has something to be learned. Whether it be knowing what a separated shoulder feels like or not smoking because you've been to a family member's funeral who died of lung cancer. Its all relative to the life you lead.

24 IS a youngling, and only a youngline would think its not.. lol..

Im talking in metaphors, kido (sorry you started it!)

Have a kid, watch him die of cancer at age 7, (not me, G*D forbid!) and a busted rib will be a warm fuzzy happy place in your mind.. I hope that life does not have a fist full of quarters in your future, but chances are good that it will. Its just set up that way.

EDIT: Were all sensitive artists types at one level or we would not be on this forum.. doesnt make you a wussy.

24 IS a youngling, and only a youngline would think its not.. lol..

Im talking in metaphors, kido (sorry you started it!)

Have a kid, watch him die of cancer at age 7, (not me, G*D forbid!) and a busted rib will be a warm fuzzy happy place in your mind.. I hope that life does not have a fist full of quarters in your future, but chances are good that it will. Its just set up that way.

EDIT: Were all sensitive artists types at one level or we would not be on this forum.. doesnt make you a wussy.

Haha thanks man.

I'm hoping I never have to watch anything like my kid dying or anything similar. But what you said about the separated shoulder being a warm fuzzy memory is exactly what I'm talking about. I can use this experience to think back when I'm in real trouble, or rather, if life smacks me with a fistful of quarters

LOL we're all artists in the ambulance if you ask me, its only a matter of time before the hospital is on teh horizon. For some its straight to the morgue.

Metaphors are great!

Life is, as wheat says, full of curbstomps, physical and emotional. We've all gone through some rough stuff that's harder to laugh at than others (I like "Artists in the Ambulance". Should be a band. I'd go see them). Being able to appreciate the bad as well as the good, to me is only second in importance to being able to realize when you did something really, really dumb (of which I've done a lot!) And I agree, everything that you've experienced leads you to the person you are, and if you like that person, there's no reason to not appreciate some of the horrible and awful things that shaped you. Or rather, appreciate them for what they were.

Hell, I'm a sneeze away from 34 and I still feel like a kid. My girlfriend describes me as having the attitude and perspective of a 12 year old...everything is awesome and worth getting excited about!

song of the day: "It Only Makes Me Laugh" by Oingo Boingo

Thanks Mike. Right now, its more like dangling lol.

I like that curbstomp metaphor. Great American History X reference. "Life is what you make it." "Likes to see homos naked, doesn't do me no good." lol. Joe Dirt.

Live, learn, love right? BTW Artists in the ambulance is a Thrice song. Maybe I am a little young lol.

Life is a jungle, through which we all cut our own paths, the only way through is experience.

As a fellow 24-year-old, I gotta agree with everyone else. We're younglings. Do you have any idea how many years you've got ahead of you (if you're lucky, lol)? :lol:

Dreddy, it pains me to type this, my laptop is much less accessible than my work computer but i had to respond to you. I'm planning to live a long life assuming theologians and conspiracy nuts don't get the end of the world right for once.

I think people missed my point about the story. I wrote with others enjoyment in mind. It was just to say how I'm smiling from the pain solely because it an experience from which I'm sure I learned something if only what a fucked up shoulder feels like. I am not saying I am a bastion of knowledge because I'm 24. I was just passing on an anecdote in what I thought was funny writing. I'm an egotist I love to hear myself talk lol.

You've been watching Courage Wolf! :D

Yes! And, thank you CF. I needed that. Fighting an ulser and I can't afford the stuff to keep it in check or food, with everything stacked against me for months to come is very depressing.

I thought I'd be done editing early last night. But, instead I did an all-nighter. Originally, I was just going to show a planet and a ship leaving it. But, as I listened to the VOs for the scene, I pieced together a visual backstory to the story showing events that took place for the last month in the story. It's like picking up a paint brush and reinventing the wheel as your brush hits the canvas as you get taken away with your imagination.

Last edited:
Back