ITN Distribution - You've heard the shtick

OK. ITN is interested in our movie. Their deal is $2,500 gets you a full page ad in IFQ magazine for Cannes, and their sales team make sales calls for us outside the markets as well. I know of one film maker who was happy they went with ITN (although they still haven't made money two years later) and they are a big part of the NYIIFF in NYC (which has a somewhat sketchy rep) that accepted our doc two years ago.

I guess I want to know if anyone has had any terrible experiences with them. Anything to really look out for. As it is, I think we will wait until April to see how the rest of the festivals turn out but it would be nice to get some exposure for our movie (and I'm too busy to put that much time into it at this point).

As always, thanks.

I have never heard anything bad about ITN and they have a good presance at Cannes for the past 5 years plus i have been attending. But making you pay for an advert? Saying that they will makes calles out of Cannes? I would expect these to be done by them as a MIN!

Our sales agents for both our films make sales outside of the markets, pay for our promotion (we pay back out of the profits) but dont have to stump up anything upfront.

ITN always seemed like a good company. But this offer deosnt seem that good to me

We also received the same offer from ITN. ITN is only asking $2500 for NAPTE , Cannes and AFM. However I am not clear on their marketing strategy and the sales target. Same time another sales agent estimated around $13,667 to take our movie just to cannes.

Here is how he quoted,

Posters + press kits 1,500
Screeners 500
Cannes booth, passes, and travel (1/3 share) 6,667
Advertising in trade papers 5,000

Total 13,667

It seems very expensive. Does this make any sense? Btw I couldn't find any feedback on ITN from other filmmakers. So we may just take the movie to these markets by ourselves.

ITN, just like NYIIFF, is interested in everyone's movie. The way they make their money isn't from actually distributing movies, but from charging to do a little marketing.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just like their festival: you don't really "get accepted" into NYIIFF. You pay to be have your movie shown. If the filmmaker is willing to pay $400 for a screening and it gets them where they want to be, then all's well.

It seems to me that if a distribution company has already made money off of you (the producer) they aren't motivated to push your film. I guess it's worth it if you're is one that takes off, but ITN doesn't work very hard because they already have your money.

As a filmmaker/producer you should not have to give a distributor any money up front.
As has been said, any costs incurred in promoting the film is only taken back once a film has sold, this means that you and the distributor are sharing those costs. Whatever is left over is then divided up - according to a pre arrange amount - between you. I don't know what others think, but 60/40 in your favour being the minimum you should except in my book.

If your serious about your film, believe in it, and have two and a half thousand to spend. I would suggest you buy a plane ticket, print up some postcards and go to Cannes yourself for a couple days, you'll stand a better chance of getting your film discovered, and even if you don't get anywhere! You will have learned a lot more personally about the film industry just by being there. You may even get into a party or two. At least that way you'll be able to enjoy your own money, rather than someone else enjoying it for you!

I went last year, and it was a real eye opener.

That's how we did it with 'Left For Dead' . There are good companies out there and a few I would recommend but many more to stear clear of.

As yourself:

1. Are they making me pay upfront? If so walk away. you should never have topay upfront
2. Have they sold other films like mine? If not walk away. Find a company expereinced in releasing your kinda films.
3. Can you find any of their titles at Blockbuster or in retail stores or are they just online? This is a big factor as you want a company with contacts who can get your film to the largest audience.
4. Do they have producers references or can you contact other filmmakers they have worked with? If so did they get paid? If the answer is yes then at least you have a chance!

That's my two sense!

Back