• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this shot out of focus?

Sure. I started uploading it now, so I will let you know when it's finished. I was thinking of making a short film of that script I posted on here, since the script was already written and ready to go. However, no one commented on the script, so I was wondering, was it that bad, or did it make no sense, maybe?

If you post a script in an almost unreadable format, while you can use the [ code ] tags to make it look like a script AND you say you don't get the script, why would anyone comment on it?
It makes no sense to film a script you don't get.

It's readable. I just don't get the plot, as in the decisions the characters make. I assume the characters have a reason for doing what they do, and their motivations make sense, I am just not sure if I should get some sort of confirmation first, before directing it, and putting out casting and crew calls.

-

Attachments

• wait_what.png
    wait_what.png
    134 KB · Views: 130
Well I can go ahead and make the script, since it's an available script, but do I have to understand what is going , in order to do a good directing job? Like if an actor were to ask me, why does my character do this, and I say "I am not sure, that's just how the writer wrote it", is that a bad response?

Okay I will put out a casting and crew call then with the script. I will see about getting locations to shoot at, and get audition dates later on. Perhaps I should just grab the bull by the horns and do it then and just trust the script.

Perhaps I should just grab the bull by the horns and do it then and just trust the script.

How do you expect to direct when you cannot understand the script? The director has to be able to bring the screenplay to life, and to connect the viewer to the story. Plus, no actor is going to have patience for a director who's pat answer is, "I dunno... that's the way it was written."

I read the script on your other post. (So, you posted someone else's screenplay on the Internet and with no credit. Good job.). You need to read it back through, in detail, and ask yourself the question. You HAVE to be able to figur that out in order to direct the short.

Still no progress on that poetry assignment, eh?

I asked the other writer if I could post it for feedback and he said that I could. So I thought it was all good. I'm not good at writing poetry. I thought it would be better to direct a script from someone with more writing experience. I just suck at poetry.

Well I know I am suppose to be understand the script, in order to be a director but not every script can be understood. For example, way back when I posted the plot outline for a script I wrote two years ago, people on here responded by saying that it didn't make sense to them, and these people are also directors. So it's possible for a director to not be able to understand everything in a script, isn't it?

I'm not good at writing poetry.

So you missed that whole part where I gave you a link to a website of poetry in the public domain. This was NEVER about you writing a poem. It was about you picking a poem off that site, recording it, then shooting and editing video to the recorded poem.

Sheesh...

This is a no-frills project to get you off your arse and actually doing something that requires very little resources to accomplish. Treat the poem like an internal monologue and try to show the world through that lens.

Well I know I am suppose to be understand the script, in order to be a director but not every script can be understood. For example, way back when I posted the plot outline for a script I wrote two years ago, people on here responded by saying that it didn't make sense to them, and these people are also directors.

Let me get this straight: people around this forum responded to one of your ideas - one of many that you, yourself run around in circles trying to figure out for 6 straight years - as making little/no sense, and you liken that to not understanding the other screenplay?

Spoiler alert: the issue here is not with the other screenplay.

So it's possible for a director to not be able to understand everything in a script, isn't it?

Not an effective director, no.

If you have any serious hope of directing that short, you will have to understand it. If you don't understand it, then it is your responsibility to discuss it with the writer so that you do understand it. Period.

Originally posted by AccousticAl: If you don't understand it, then it is your responsibility to discuss it with the writer so that you do understand it. Period.

Exactly. As the screenwriter, I go through the screenplay with the director line by line to be sure that (s)he understands it thoroughly and I make changes if/as needed.

Okay thanks. I just don't get the villains insanity that would lead to the decision making of his, that's all.

I also went to that poetry website before, and I just tried it again. When I go there, the site does not come up where I am. It just says "Unable to connect to SQL database.". So I could not get into the site and read any poems. But I will look for other sites.

I also went to that poetry website before, and I just tried it again. When I go there, the site does not come up where I am. It just says "Unable to connect to SQL database.". So I could not get into the site and read any poems. But I will look for other sites.

I was on there Thursday with no trouble, but I'm getting the same issue today. Their site must have a bug.

Here's another: http://www.publicdomainpoems.com

Last edited:
Back