Is this mic worth keeping?

Hey all,

I wanted to ask about a microphone. I inherited this mic from some friends I edited a small promo video for, and since then, they have all moved out of the area. I was hoping some of the audio guys might comment on whether its worth keeping. I've spent a lot of time putting together my camera equipment, and I now have a camera with XLR inputs, and want to assemble a decent audio setup for my productions. Of course, I can't underestimate the value of a hiring a dedicated sound guy.

Back to my original reason for this thread.

The mic I have been given is an Azden SGM 2X. I'm wondering if anyone has used this mic? Is it worth keeping? I have a Sony FS100, and I'm wanting to get a good boom pole, shock mount, and Mic/s. Is this one I should keep in the arsenal?

Thanks for the responses,
Jeff

I am not a fan of Azden products, and many professionals consider them to be "disposable," meaning that they are not worth repairing.

Hey, you got something for nothing, so you may as well use it. But it does have quite a bit of self-noise, and when it breaks - and it will - you will need to replace it with something a little more substantial. If you've been following any of the audio discussions you'll have noted that $250 to $300 is about the minimum to spend on a passable shotgun mic, and the needed accessories will cost another $200 to $300.

Me, I keep everything that works. Once I CLEARLY have upgraded, then Ill leverage the old thing as a trade or sale on ebay to buy something else.

Seems like an OK mic, do you have both the barrels? Long and Short?

No, I only have the long barrel, and the carry pouch.

Alcove, I have been following other threads, why I haven't been asking the standard audio questions. I've seen them asked and answered a dozen times.

I also bought a book on audio for film and video. Although I haven't read yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240807200/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

I have,started looking into shock mounts, after reading the current thread about them. And I've started looking into boom poles.

Thanks guys.

Back