Is this difficult

I do nothing with effects. My friend wants to make some short pieces from his play Gang Star Wars and make a web series. The actors performing in front of a green screen isn't hard, because you just replace the background with a photo.

But, he wants to cover chairs with green material and replace it with photos of spacecraft chairs. Is this going to be difficult? I can't imagine it's simple to make people look like they're sitting in chairs that aren't actually there.

its the matchmoving that will kill you.

Build some cool prop chairs and put tracking markers on the green screen and it will go much easier..

EDIT: Sorry, this applies if you want to have camera movement. If your locking down every shot, what your friend wants to do should be doable, still hard. get you backgrounds done first. Print them out and frame to match.

its the matchmoving that will kill you.

Build some cool prop chairs and put tracking markers on the green screen and it will go much easier..

EDIT: Sorry, this applies if you want to have camera movement. If your locking down every shot, what your friend wants to do should be doable, still hard. get you backgrounds done first. Print them out and frame to match.

Thanks. I know they won't be moving the camera, so your edit applies. But, could give me a little more info on what you mean. We shoot a background (walls) and then a few chairs, so we have two photos. If we print them out, what will that do? How large should the photos be? How do we match up the actors to the chairs?

As you can see I know diddly squat about this. I've seen some on-line tutorials for different things, but nothing like this.

It's my friend's project. But, he's expecting me to physically do this.

Thanks. I know they won't be moving the camera, so your edit applies. But, could give me a little more info on what you mean. We shoot a background (walls) and then a few chairs, so we have two photos. If we print them out, what will that do? How large should the photos be? How do we match up the actors to the chairs?

As you can see I know diddly squat about this. I've seen some on-line tutorials for different things, but nothing like this.

It's my friend's project. But, he's expecting me to physically do this.

If you can find some of the BTS material for the FIRST "Matrix" movie. (Only the FIRST one. The 2nd and 3rd don't use enough practical set design to be useful to you) There are some good bit showing how they mixed practical set pieces and props with green screen backdrops.

One that comes to mind is when Trinity's escape early in the film. There are actual fake rooftop set pieces surrounded by green where they filmed that sequence. You can do a similar mix of composting and actual props/sets. Makes it much more believable. Have REAL chairs as part of your set, only use green where you need to key in b/g's or maybe a monitor screen or something.

The above represents an oversimplification of the process, but I wanted to give you the basic idea.

have you done it yet? I'm curious about how it went...

Another thing to keep in mind is the camera angle the image of the space chairs was taken at: you're going to have to match that angle when you shoot the footage of your actors in front of the green screen in order for it to look proper and not goofy.

Back