• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is This a good story plot for a film? I'm not sure...

I'm really trying to brainstorm here. I want to do a story that's really heartfelt and that has a true meaning and so I thought, what would be greater than making a film about something that's close to my heart and life - poverty and homelessness and so here's what I came up with, but I am not sure if this is a good enough story or not, so I decided to post it here to get some advice. Is this a good idea for a story?

This young hot shot guy, with this good paying job and who has everything going for himself, meets this woman one day - she's homeless with an eight-year old little girl and she applies for a job at the company this guy works for and this guy treats the woman like shit when he finds out she is homeless and when she comes to the interview in poor, ragged clothes and he refuses to give the woman the job and then in general, he treats poor people and homeless people he meets and sees on the streets, like - well, like shit, but then one day, the tables are turned and HE becomes the one who loses his job, his condo. He turns to extreme alcohol abuse and it results in him losing his child to the state and he loses all his money and HE becomes what that woman coming for the interview was - homeless and when it all hits him emotionally, what he's going through, he coincidentally seeks help to get out of his homelessness and to get his child back, from the same poor, homeless woman he refused the job to - who is now no longer homeless but is doing well with a great paying job, etc.

It's basically a story of: be careful of how you treat the poor, for it might turn that you become just like them. Kinda like that Phil Collins song about homelessness "Another Day In Paradise" about thinking twice before treating the homeless cruel and turning them away, because one day, you could end up in their shoes. I think it's a story plot with a good moralistic lesson and it resonates greatly because there is a HUGE number of homelessness in America, so I read - and on how they're treated, etc....Such is the case with this guy, Ronald Davis, who is homeless and gets treated like crap from everyone...and people don't realize that they could be in Ronald's same shoes - position, so that's also where I got my motivation for my story, so to conclude, is this a good story idea for a film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusCA28efa0

It sounds like a great start. Just keep in mind in your development that you don't want it to be predictable. As you figure out your tone I think you can be well on your way to a wonderful story. The thing with these movies that aim to t each a lesson though is that they can come off preachy which is a big disconnect with the audience. I have explored this a lot with my current screenplay and ran across this excellent interview of Paul Haggis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZ5ODeyQmE

One thing that really stood out to me was his idea that in writing you should be exploring (i.e. learning) your theme and not teaching it. I'm paraphrasing quite a bit with that. Any way, I think it's something to consider in the writing process. You definitely have the ingredients for a very heartfelt film; just make sure you handle it with care and attention :)

I like where your heart is. I'm not entirely on-board with either the story, or the morale behind it.

As far as the story is concerned, I don't see it currently fitting into the traditional 3-act structure, wherein our protagonist, and the obstacle that they must overcome in order to achieve a goal, can be boiled down to a single-sentence logline.

As for the message, I'll be honest, I think it's a nice thought, but a little misguided. I don't think people should treat homeless with respect because they never know if they'll also be homeless. I think people should treat homeless with respect because they're human beings, and all human beings deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

I think it's great of you to want to shine light on an aspect of our society that deserves our attention. I just think it needs a little more work. :)

What if the rich man has a dream about rejecting a woman, then being in the position she is in. He wakes up the next morning, and meets a homeless/poor woman applying for a job that looks exactly the same as the woman in the dream. He gives her the job, and she improves his business and his life in a major way.

Just an idea :)

Reminds me of Trading Places a bit. Ironic reversal of fortune, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjDbJQKDXCY

A Christmas Carol
It's a Wonderful Life
...only ones coming to mind right now, but there's many more.

Yeah, sure you can make a flick like that. :)

For me, it's sounding a little too pat, a little trite in such a bald outline. The main problem I have with it is that any character arc experienced by the man is purely forced on him by outside forces. If he has a change of heart - well, he would, wouldn't he? He has no choice, and drama in narrative comes from the choices people make. It's better if a change in a character is the result of circumstances bringing out a side of their character that already exists but which is suppressed at the start of the story by other forces - ie, the character starts out conflicted and the story is about the resolution of that conflict.

You can give examples of movies where this isn't done - such as Life Stinks. But in my view, that movie also stank.

Back