• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this a good lighting kit?

Hey everyone I am currently making a short film and I have most of the equiptment except for lighting. I do have this light kit that came with my green screen http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Chromakey-Flourescent-lightstand-9004S-3/dp/B003Y31CAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339724482&sr=8-1&keywords=2400+watt+softbox+lighting+kit
What do you guys think? Will this be good enough for my project?
These are my locations I need to light:
-School Classroom
-Boxing Ring (a small boxing area) shown HERE
-Street (I can use daylight for this and some small portable cheap lights for the night scene)
-Dining Room
SO these lights will pretty much be good for all scenes and enough for good lighting right? I can I guess buy some Color Gels but do you guys think this will be good enough why or why not?

Those ones are evenly split - 3 x 800w equivalents. (Will not be as bright as 3 tungstens)

I have the same brand in a 2 x 1k & 1 x 400 hairlight combo.

The stands are really cheap. Cheaper than Britek stands. Very top-heavy. Always need serious weight below. The plastic tighteners on mine have already started stripping - I've had to resort to pushing & pulling the poles in & out by brute force to raise & lower the heights lol.

The light heads themselves are not UL listed, btw. :secret:

Don't rely on these to light up huge expanses of space. I've taken to not even putting on the actual softbox diffusion piece, to get more out of them. I would not use these to illuminate your boxing gym, for example, all by themselves. Unless it's a night-interior walking in the darkness thing.

Having said that, for the price they ain't so bad. They work pretty well, when used in a setting scaled for them. You can also get replacement bulbs in different colour temps at Home Depot if using in conjunction with other colour light sources.

I guess in summary - they are pretty piss-poor quality, but beggars can't be choosers. They will do the job right, if positioned well for the actual frame. Not landscape illumination. :cool:

For the money it's ok. You're not going to get much punch from it. Softboxes are great for small setups like interviews or a couple people talking in a scene, but don't expect to light large spaces. I would recommend 2 lights like the ones in the kit and then some kind of light that you can focus, like an Lowel Omni or Redhead.

Scott

Back