Is murder illegal?

So... I did a little favour and shot a little freebie something for someone which involved shooting a couple of interviews, face on to the camera. Visuals were dead easy - static greenscreen. I told them for the interviews to book a nice quiet room and a sound recordist. They agreed and what could go wrong?

Everyone turned up on time, I had a fantastic runner, a professional gaffer to help with the lights and I was feeling like royalty... until the sound recordist turned up.

He was the worst sound recordist in history. For a start, he kept falling asleep, pointing the mic at the floor and didn't want to use the mixer I'd provided because he didn't know how it worked. Just getting him to stay awake was difficult to impossible. I swapped him over with someone else who didn't really understand where to point the mic or even how to monitor the sound but at least they were conscious.

However, the really bad bit was the noise levels. They had picked the loudest place in the known universe to record quiet interviews. I went to a Green Day concert which was quieter.

We were in a studio complex and diagonally across the hall was a studio where they were shooting a hard rock music video with the sound cranked right up. Directly across the hall was a set of auditions involving yelling and shouting in German. Above us was a herd of mating rhinos (stage fighting workshop) and next door was an actors workshop which involved group screaming. And the room they'd booked had a door which didn't close. At one point I had to pop outside in the street because my head was hurting from the noise.

Anyhow, I did a quick and dirty cut and they've just complained there is some background noise on the vid and can I do something about it...? :grumpy:

* Rant over - thank you for listening *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IK30-SNApg

Great thread title. Sucky story.

It ended all wrong. The good guys are supposed to win! :D

I was feeling like royalty... until the sound recordist turned up.

He was the worst sound recordist in history. For a start, he kept falling asleep, pointing the mic at the floor and didn't want to use the mixer I'd provided because he didn't know how it worked. Just getting him to stay awake was difficult to impossible. I swapped him over with someone else who didn't really understand where to point the mic or even how to monitor the sound but at least they were conscious.

This is why you hire a professional.

However, the really bad bit was the noise levels. They had picked the loudest place in the known universe to record quiet interviews.

We were in a studio complex and diagonally across the hall was a studio where they were shooting a hard rock music video with the sound cranked right up. Directly across the hall was a set of auditions involving yelling and shouting in German. Above us was a herd of mating rhinos (stage fighting workshop) and next door was an actors workshop which involved group screaming. And the room they'd booked had a door which didn't close. At one point I had to pop outside in the street because my head was hurting from the noise.

And that's why you scout the location for sound and get a schedule for the location and the surrounding area.

Anyhow, I did a quick and dirty cut and they've just complained there is some background noise on the vid and can I do something about it...? :grumpy:

Of course!!! "We fu**ked up, but it's your responsibility to make it all better - FOR FREE!"

This is why you hire a professional.

And that's why you scout the location for sound and get a schedule for the location and the surrounding area.

Of course!!! "We fu**ked up, but it's your responsibility to make it all better - FOR FREE!"

As it was a freebie, I let them know in advance what they needed to do (find a quiet location, provide recordist). To be fair, they provided a recordist, just one who couldn't stay awake in the noisiest location in the known universe.

It's their problem now and they know they've screwed up.

The last email I had from them is they think they can fix the issues in post. :hmm:

What were the call times and how long of a day was it?

Whilst this recordist sounds unprofessional, I've done 14 hour days with 6am call times for free when I was starting out and I was ready to fall asleep through most of the day...

Were you paying this recordist?

What were the call times and how long of a day was it?

Whilst this recordist sounds unprofessional, I've done 14 hour days with 6am call times for free when I was starting out and I was ready to fall asleep through most of the day...

Were you paying this recordist?

A 3 hour shoot at 10am and they were taking care of everything. I was just doing them a freebie favour in terms of a bit of camerawork, greenscreen and cutting it together.

The main issue was trying to do it all at the lowest possible price. The result is useless sound which they are apparently trying to fix themselves. They really need to pay a sound engineer to sort it all out and preferably one who can stay awake.

To answer the question that nobody seemed inclined to address, yes murder is highly illegal. It's like one of the biggest crimes you can commit, next to buying liquor on sundays... But then again, only heathens do that.

To answer the question that nobody seemed inclined to address, yes murder is highly illegal. It's like one of the biggest crimes you can commit, next to buying liquor on sundays... But then again, only heathens do that.

No jury in the world would convict me if I explained the situation.

Or if they did, it'd make a great feature and I'd have the rights...

next time wrap the XLR cord around his neck tie it to the ceiling light, that way when he nods off, his head drops down then it will tighten... suicide

*i do not promote suicide or murder, merely adding humour to the thread so please dont give me another warning*

Back