Is it worth it?

Hi,

I was looking through a filmmaking magazine and found that there was a film production company shooting parts of a film in Scotland where I live. I later found out that there were other films scheduled to be shoot really close by in the next year or so including the Outlander series by Starz.

I was considering approaching them and asking if I could maybe come along some days and be a runner or help out because I'm interesting in pursuing a career in the film industry, but I was worried that most would just see me as a distraction. The other route I saw was to get an internship but because I'm 15, I'm too young for almost all the studio's who only accept people who are doing higher education or are 18+.

The bottom line is, I'm wanting to go and help out with one of these films, as I'd imagine I would gain a lot of experience and it would help out getting future jobs if I had recommendations. However, I don't imagine they would let some random teenager turn up on set, or let me sign up for any internship program.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

There's no harm in asking. Your young age is an advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is that you're showing such eagerness at such a young age - some pros will like that.

But you need to be in school etc and legally there may be a 'health & safety' risk having a minor on set.

Ask anyway. You may be able to help or watch outside school hours.

You should check with your careers advisor at school. As far as I am aware, your parents would have to sign a letter of permission to someone on set to supervise you and effectively act as your legal guardian. I don't believe anyone would be legally able to take this responsibility for you when they already have a responsibility for their role in making the film. Not to mention the implications for the film's insurance cover. Only when you are 18 are you able to take full legal responsibility for yourself and this is why the studios (and other businesses) only take 18+ year old interns.

I'm basing all this on the laws in England but the Scottish legal system is slightly different in some respects, which is why I suggest consulting with an advisor at your school as your first course of action.

G

You should check with your careers advisor at school. As far as I am aware, your parents would have to sign a letter of permission to someone on set to supervise you and effectively act as your legal guardian. I don't believe anyone would be legally able to take this responsibility for you when they already have a responsibility for their role in making the film. Not to mention the implications for the film's insurance cover. Only when you are 18 are you able to take full legal responsibility for yourself and this is why the studios (and other businesses) only take 18+ year old interns.

I'm basing all this on the laws in England but the Scottish legal system is slightly different in some respects, which is why I suggest consulting with an advisor at your school as your first course of action.

G

Whilst this is true, I think almost everyone does work experience before they're 18, so there are obviously ways that companies can get round this if they are so inclined.

I certainly think it's worth enquiring- send a polite covering letter and a CV out to any local companies and see if anyone will take you on, even if it's only for a couple of days.

There's no harm in asking. Your young age is an advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is that you're showing such eagerness at such a young age - some pros will like that.

But you need to be in school etc and legally there may be a 'health & safety' risk having a minor on set.

Ask anyway. You may be able to help or watch outside school hours.

Yeah, I'd try to see if it I could turn up at weekends of possibly after school if it's nearby. I think some of the indie studios would be better for this.

G

I'll definitely talk to my careers advisor when my school starts back. If a parent was on set with me at all times, would I still have to get the company to sign a form of responsibility?

Whilst this is true, I think almost everyone does work experience before they're 18, so there are obviously ways that companies can get round this if they are so inclined.

Below 18 (but over 16) there are still some legal requirements but they are relatively simple, even so, many companies avoid the issue entirely by not taking anyone under 18. In this case though we are talking about a minor, someone under the age of 16, and as far as I am aware legal guardianship would be required.

I'll definitely talk to my careers advisor when my school starts back. If a parent was on set with me at all times, would I still have to get the company to sign a form of responsibility?

Your parents are already your legal guardians and therefore you wouldn't need anyone else to take this responsibility for you. The only two remaining obstacles would be any impact having a minor on set might have on the production company's filming insurance and of course permission from the production company to be on set in the first place. Still have a word with your school's careers advisor though.

G

Below 18 (but over 16) there are still some legal requirements but they are relatively simple, even so, many companies avoid the issue entirely by not taking anyone under 18. In this case though we are talking about a minor, someone under the age of 16, and as far as I am aware legal guardianship would be required.

I'm not sure this is true, I certainly did little minor jobs before I was 16 without any sort of guardianship.

It's worth looking at this: https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

I'm not sure this is true, I certainly did little minor jobs before I was 16 without any sort of guardianship.

It's worth looking at this: https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

Does the fact that the majority of the work I will be doing will be unpaid have any effects on the employment regulations?

Also, I saw an ad where someone in my city was interested in assembling a filmmaking crew unpaid and mainly for experience, would those regulations still apply?

Thanks.

I had a part-time job when I was 15 myself and I'm not absolutely sure either that what I have said is true. Generally a minor would need to be accompanied by a legal guardian because a commercial film set is usually considered to be a dangerous environment. However, this might not always be the case depending on local bylaws, which is why I suggested the OP have a chat with his school's careers advisor, who probably won't know either but they should be able to find out easily.

G

Does the fact that the majority of the work I will be doing will be unpaid have any effects on the employment regulations?

No ... Whenever I've seen children on a film set, they always had to be accompanied by a legally responsible adult. I know that at 15 you are closer to an adult than a child but unfortunately, until you are 16, in the eyes of the law you are still a child. I believe this is UK wide law but you should check.

Also, I saw an ad where someone in my city was interested in assembling a filmmaking crew unpaid and mainly for experience, would those regulations still apply?

Probably not, the laws are aimed at commercial businesses/companies. I don't know of any law which would stop you from being a member of a film club, as a hobby, and effectively this is what you would be doing. I suppose it depends on what and how you are filming though. For example, I don't think it would be legal for you to be working with a potentially dangerous power generator (to power set lighting) unsupervised by a responsible and probably qualified adult. A bit of an extreme example I know but it's the principle. Again, your careers advisor should be able to put you in touch with someone who could advise you or if you can't wait, see if you can find a health and safety officer in your local council to give you advice.

G

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I'll talk to my careers advisor, as well as shoot some of the companies a few e-mails to see what they say, it's worth a shot I guess.

I'm actually thinking of putting together a small reel of VFX and some shots I've done included with the e-mail. Might increase my chances. We'll see.

Last edited:
Another route is to make a nuisance of yourself. I know an exchange student who got to meet the President of Poland that way.

Not in the literal negative way. But by nuisance I mean to be persistent. Make your enthusiasm known. This is something you can get away with at your age that us 'adults' can't.

So start out by going through official channels. Call them. Write them letters. Be honest and enthusiastic. Tell them how passionate you are. Keep writing and calling until you get a response. Show up at offices and wait around, get to know the receptionists. Be polite, smile a lot, show your enthusiasm.

I wouldn't bug them during actual filming any farther than showing up to the location and trying to get noticed by some of those folks who have seen your face around their offices. If you've made a friend or two you might be able to get a tour of the set in some down time. If that happens, be friendly and talk to anyone you can working there so they know who you are. Have business cards, hand them out to folks you have a positive interaction with. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I know a lot of folks will probably chime in and say this is bad advice and can do more harm than good. Which is why I don't recommend doing it unless you're really young. Just don't do anything that makes their jobs harder, smile smile smile, and at worst you'll get written off as 'young and eager' instead of creepy stalker.

*** just my 2 cents. YMMV. I am not a lawyer.

First of all, the position you want to inquire about is called "Production Assistant", or "P.A."

And no, if you do your job well, you'd hardly be a distraction. I say go for it! What've you got to lose? :)

First of all, the position you want to inquire about is called "Production Assistant", or "P.A."

And no, if you do your job well, you'd hardly be a distraction. I say go for it! What've you got to lose? :)

Another route is to make a nuisance of yourself. I know an exchange student who got to meet the President of Poland that way.

Not in the literal negative way. But by nuisance I mean to be persistent. Make your enthusiasm known. This is something you can get away with at your age that us 'adults' can't.

So start out by going through official channels. Call them. Write them letters. Be honest and enthusiastic. Tell them how passionate you are. Keep writing and calling until you get a response. Show up at offices and wait around, get to know the receptionists. Be polite, smile a lot, show your enthusiasm.

I wouldn't bug them during actual filming any farther than showing up to the location and trying to get noticed by some of those folks who have seen your face around their offices. If you've made a friend or two you might be able to get a tour of the set in some down time. If that happens, be friendly and talk to anyone you can working there so they know who you are. Have business cards, hand them out to folks you have a positive interaction with. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I know a lot of folks will probably chime in and say this is bad advice and can do more harm than good. Which is why I don't recommend doing it unless you're really young. Just don't do anything that makes their jobs harder, smile smile smile, and at worst you'll get written off as 'young and eager' instead of creepy stalker.

*** just my 2 cents. YMMV. I am not a lawyer.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I'm writing the letters tomorrow, so I'll bear everything in mind.

Back