Is it true that horror films are the most popular genre in the Indie scene?

Maybe either those are dramas. But action films and comedies are the less popular ones it seems. Perhaps the indie audiences are more into horror and drama, and that's why?

Na, i think its because a movie with exploding helicopters and car chases and RPGs shooting and blowing up a hotel costs alot more money then filming a wife that cheated on her husband with the gardener only for her husband to find out when she gives birth to a mexican baby.......just my thoughts also fake blood is really easy to pull off.... as for comedys? I think it just takes alot of skill and talent to write a truly funny script.

I agree with brettzdamn, drama is easier to do than comedy (though just as hard to do well), and easier on budgets than action. I do, however, have some specific insight into horror popularity. As a horror fan, we are often more forgiving of rubbery monsters, bad acting and contrived plots. As long as there is something interesting about a horror film, I'll watch it. There's a long history of horror films, low budget and camp humor going back to Ed Wood and HG Lewis. It's not that we don't want or like well done high budget productions...again, just more forgiving of flaws.

And if it's PARTICULARLY bad, I'd rather watch that than a comedy!

Horror would have to be #1. It's the easiest genre to get distribution for.

If you've made a horror movie and having a hard time finding distributing. Brain Damage Distributing will pick it up.

Horror has instant distribution.

As a horror fan, we are often more forgiving of rubbery monsters, bad acting and contrived plots. As long as there is something interesting about a horror film, I'll watch it.

Agree with this 100%. I'll forgive almost anything. I've sat through some movies where, not until the very end, have I thought to myself "did I really just watch that all the way through?". Quite often I'll watch that same movie again. It's strange. I'm almost certain I wouldn't do this for a poor action movie. Definately not for comedy.

Here in the UK we have a TV channel dedicated to horror. It's called, wait for it..... The Horror Channel. I've spoken to so many people who think the programming is nothing short of crap. I love it. People don't believe me when I tell them that, but honestly, I do!

Agree with this 100%. I'll forgive almost anything. I've sat through some movies where, not until the very end, have I thought to myself "did I really just watch that all the way through?". Quite often I'll watch that same movie again. It's strange. I'm almost certain I wouldn't do this for a poor action movie. Definately not for comedy.

Here in the UK we have a TV channel dedicated to horror. It's called, wait for it..... The Horror Channel. I've spoken to so many people who think the programming is nothing short of crap. I love it. People don't believe me when I tell them that, but honestly, I do!

We have two in the US one called Chiller (which is crap) and one call Fear.Net (which tends to have a better set of movies and shows)

I feel the same way as so many horror fans, give me blood, boobs and more blood and I'm half way to happy. Give me a good acting and really nice effects and I beyond happy.

There's a new way to watch horror.

It's FILMON

They have some Horror Channels, plus numerous other genres, news etc.

It's subscription based and I think $7.95 a month.

That explains why everyone's doing. Do I have to really though? I usually hate zombie movies, and I do have a much more original idea for one, at least I've never seen it done before, but it will probably require higher budget sets, unless the audience doesn't mind seeing normal looking houses decades after an apocalypse. You can't really do a lot with zombies usually though, and the way they are portrayed in most movies, they are the handicaps of movie monsters.

That explains why everyone's doing. Do I have to really though?

He was being facetious. Of course you don't actually have to do anything. It's not like there is some FCC of indie filmmakers handing out badges that would turn you away if you hadn't made a zero-budget horror film.

smiley-bangheadonwall-yellow.gif

Yeah he wasn't being serious, I was being facetious too, although it was hard to tell. I just meant can a zombie film be get me that much more of a chance really.

Horror has a long and storied history of directors who made films not because they care, but to get money for the movie they want to make. And a greater number who failed at that.

Yes, a zombie movie by you would have more of a chance to get distribution. Might even make money to fund your next feature. But if you don't like zombie movies and don't really get them (judging solely from your comments there), why would you want to? Horror is a wide and diverse genre with lots of styles and subgenres that you might actually connect with better. If you want to put your current project(s) on the backburner to do a horror film, some quality research time would serve you well.

I guess. I just don't see the audience appeal in a lot of them. There are some really good ones, only that 5-10% I mentioned, compared to other genres it seems. But that's because people are more accepting of the B movie in this genre.

I guess. I just don't see the audience appeal in a lot of them. There are some really good ones, only that 5-10% I mentioned, compared to other genres it seems. But that's because people are more accepting of the B movie in this genre.

The challenge is to make a really good horror movie. Oxymoron? Maybe, but like the man says it's like an elective, it's easy, a good way to learn and it can certainly pad your GPA. So, why not do it. I mean unless you have talent and an imagination. :) (I've sold horror flicks, so I'm kinda' joking)

oh ya for sure, you can always make a good one. It's just I've seen quite a few bad ones, but people forgive them easier. so it seems that making a bad one might be a ticket in too.

I just don't see the audience appeal in a lot of them...

Then you can't hope to meet that appeal that the members of that audience, like me, do see in horror.

If you don't like the genre, or you have no respect for it, don't bother. The 5-10% that you talk about are made by people who are passionate about horror. If you don't have that passion and don't understand the mechanics of the genre, the film you make wont be in tht 5-10%.

Then you can't hope to meet that appeal that the members of that audience, like me, do see in horror.

This exactly. +30 points to mad_hatter. Furthermore, the that are crap but people like? Most of those made by people who get it, and are making movies to appeal to horror fans' tastes.

Again, not saying that you can't make a horror film, or even make a good one. But in order to do that, research is in order and if you don't like horror films, that research in itself might not be your cup of tea.

Well I wasn't really too interest in doing horror really. What counts as horror exactly though? I mean Apocalypse Now, and United 93 had some pretty horrific stuff happen in them, and those do not count. Does it have to be demons, monsters, and slashers, or can it go into everyday stories as well?

Back