• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is it possible to write this script idea to fit this budget?

I wrote a rough draft of a script, and I was told by some people that I showed it to, and talked about it with, that it was a really good premise for a movie, and I should consider producing and directing it as well.

If I had to use my own money, I was wondering if I could shoot it for maybe $20,000, and I do some of the post production and set duties myself to save on cost, such editing, color grading, which I had a lot more practice with lately, etc.

However, the movie is a Santa Clause type movie that would take place in that universe. So we are talking about a North pole Santa Clause type setting, and I am not sure I could cover that in that type of budget. I mean movies like Paranormal Activity were shot for a similar low budget, but not sure about a santa claus movie.

I mean I suppose I could opt for a more realistic Santa Clause universe setting and have it take place in some real cabins, and shakes and industrial buildings, and then just cut to the inside, where I would shoot in a real toy factory maybe, and not show so much of the toys close up, since most toy factories, probably do not produce a lot of everything. But it's not just toys though, since Santa would give gifts to adults as well I guess, and I could shoot in other factories, and warehouses.

It could look like a much more realistic industrial factory and warehouse setting, rather than the one people are use to watching in Christmas movies. And I live in Canada, so there is already plenty of snow around for exterior shots. And I would just have to get a really good costume designer for Santa and the elves. The elves would probably be the hardest part, besides getting reindeer. I don't know if I would need to actually show the reindeer and the sled, but audiences are probably expecting to see it at some point?

What do you think?

Last edited:

When it comes to making a movie in 48 hours, how am I suppose to find cast and crew in 48 hours to even start with?

Like I said before: you gather cast and crew before the weekend starts, so you 'only' need to write, shoot and edit.
Make sure you have a few possible location you can use, so you can have a choice where your script happens.

Me and 1 of my friends gathered a team of 20. The last members were added on friday.
We did manage to create a short in 48hrs.
The result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVL0bWNFL0

Okay thanks. I have been trying to do this. Where should I look for cast and crew in such a short amount of time. I have tried kijiji, craigslist and facebook, but I don't get enough responses in that short of time. Perhaps it's the city I live in and there is not as large of population to roll in responses quicker.

But is there a better website for doing it?

Why do you keep talking about 'in such a short time'?
You gather cast and crew BEFORE the 48 hours start.
We started asking people 2 months in advance. Only the last person was added on the day before the weekend started.

Back