Is it me or do a lot of indie films in festivals feel kind of empty?

Look at some tv shows (f.e. Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire). They develop their plots VERY slow, but they are interesting and really not boring. Believable characters, plots that matter and the overall theme is much more important..

I believe I am uniquely qualified to comment on these shows because I bought the DVDs instead of watching them on TV.

Mad Men - I could not get pass the second episode. Sold my DVD on Amazon.com.

Boardwalk Empire - watched the entire series, but am selling that DVD soon. Not likely to watch season 2.

Improved pacing would have fixed both series for me.

A friend of mine had the same problem with both shows.

I don't think I'm an exception because I like them, but who knows... I also liked "Somewhere" by Sofia Coppola, so.. :D

Sorry for the following diatribe, obviously my background is coming from a slightly different slant to most others who've replied but maybe that will make my reply all the more useful.

From my perspective, most indi films appear empty because they are empty. An audience is only subconsciously aware of much of what is done by an experienced, skilled audio post team and for this reason sound is therefore one of the most powerful tools available to the film maker. However, most film makers have little more understanding of the use of sound in film than most members of the audience and are therefore almost unaware of the powerful tools available, let alone how to employ them to enhance the story telling. Most film makers seem to think of audio post as little more than the technical exercise of recreation of the sonic reality of whatever visuals are playing. Good sound design is first and foremost about enhancing the story telling, the sonic reality of a scene is nothing more than a reference point to be abused as necessary.

If we are talking about character development for example, we need the audience to identify in some way with that character, to understand or appreciate how that character experiences the world but no real character experiences the world through sight alone. Hearing the world the character inhabits as the character perceives it (rather than as reality might demand) is an incredibly powerful tool completely overlooked by many script writers and film makers. A good sound designer knows how to use and manipulate the fact that as human beings how we perceive sound is only vaguely related to the actual sound waves entering our ears (the whole field of Psychoacoustics). Although there are also many technicalities, audio post is (or should be!) primarily an art form. The audience's visual attention, emotional interpretation and indeed their perception of the speed, pace and climaxes of the individual scenes and of the film as a whole can all be (and should all be) dramatically manipulated by the artistic use of sound.

This artistic use of sound requires experienced, skilled professionals working in calibrated environments with top class equipment, all rather expensive. Because most film makers are only vaguely aware of these most powerful of film making tools, they view high quality audio post as a luxury, nice if you can afford it but not essential. So, getting back to the OP, most indi films appear empty because they are empty. The sound might be technically acceptable but rarely are they ever artistically acceptable, let alone artistically excellent.

Sure, shorter edits can also help the pace of a film or a scene but why is no one mentioning one of the most powerful of tools to manipulate the perceived pace? Personally I largely blame the films schools. Sound if taught at all is usually taught as a boring technical necessity rather than as the artistic collaborator it should be. It's no coincidence that most of the films consistently ranked as "the greatest ever" are also at the top of the list when judged solely on the artistic merits of their sound!

My 2c, G

Last edited:
I believe I am uniquely qualified to comment on these shows because I bought the DVDs instead of watching them on TV.

Mad Men - I could not get pass the second episode. Sold my DVD on Amazon.com.

Boardwalk Empire - watched the entire series, but am selling that DVD soon. Not likely to watch season 2.

Improved pacing would have fixed both series for me.

Mad Men lost me after the 1st season, Boardwalk Empire lost me after 2 or 3 episodes. I also stopped watching True Blood after the first season. American Horror Story on the other hand I practically lived for the new episode to air.

Let me echo some of the sentiments above. The problem with many (maybe most) indie films is poor screenplays--slow, boring, and derivative. For a great indie, check out Take Shelter, great story and screenplay. Likely, far less than a million to make.

Let me echo some of the sentiments above. The problem with many (maybe most) indie films is poor screenplays--slow, boring, and derivative. For a great indie, check out Take Shelter, great story and screenplay. Likely, far less than a million to make.

IMHO, this emphasises what I was trying to say in my previous post. Most film makers seem to get hung up on certain aspects of film making and ignore other, equally or even more important areas of film making. IMHO, it isn't so much about the story itself , it's more about how you tell the story. I've seen great stories turned into poor films and I've seen weak stories turned into really engaging films.

Looking at the trailer for "Take Shelter" does not bode well. The sound appears to have been done by a complete novice and makes the trailer feel very amateurish. How much more dramatic and compelling could the trailer have been with professional sound design. Maybe the film has a great story, maybe it has great acting and/or editing but all that is at least partly wasted, it's never going to be a great film if it has really poor sound, both technically and artistically. It's like having a band with a great guitarist, a good singer and a totally hopeless drummer. You might appreciate the guitarist but it's never going to be a good band, let alone a great band! Such a shame but unfortunately quite common with indi films.

IMHO, this emphasises what I was trying to say in my previous post. Most film makers seem to get hung up on certain aspects of film making and ignore other, equally or even more important areas of film making. IMHO, it isn't so much about the story itself , it's more about how you tell the story. I've seen great stories turned into poor films and I've seen weak stories turned into really engaging films.

Holy crap. Sense has actually been made!

Audio Post, I don't doubt your argument regarding using audio artistically. Take Shelter might not be the movie you want to pick on, though, because that's actually a really good movie. Even if someone didn't like it, I don't think anyone who has seen it would call it empty.

I do agree with you -- audio is overlooked, and I can admit having been guilty of that.

Stephen -- looks like it was made for $5mil. Sure would be nice to be able to call that "low-budget". Maybe someday...

Last edited:
Audio Post, I don't doubt your argument regarding using audio artistically. Take Shelter might not be the movie you want to pick on, though, because that's actually a really good movie. Even if someone didn't like it, I don't think anyone who has seen it would call it empty.

I haven't seen the movie, I was only commenting on what I had seen, the trailer. Maybe someone just screwed up the trailer but that implies they probably screwed up the film too. The sound on the trailer could and should have been used to create intrigue, heighten the drama, make us curious about the characters and demonstrated story telling so compelling that we (the potential audience) can't afford to miss seeing the film. In actual fact though the sound on the trailer did the complete opposite of every single one of these requirements. If the film is like you say "really good", then it would seem someone has deliberately sabotaged the trailer. Maybe I should take a look at the film itself.

What I'm saying, AudioPost, is that I don't think it's fair to judge a movie entirely based on ONE aspect. For me, the trailer for Take Shelter works tremendously well. First time I saw that trailer, I went out and watched the movie the very same week.

Yes, sound design is incredibly important. So is music. And cinematography. And writing, and acting, and editing, and set design, and coloring, and I think you catch my drift. It is extremely rare for a movie to nail ALL possible aspects, artistically and technically. I don't think any film is necessarily made or broken by any ONE of these aspects.

Your point remains valid, though. And perhaps what makes many indie films feel "empty" is that they (we) only achieve greatness in one or two aspects, whereas everything else is mediocre?

Agree with CF. I've seen the trailer a few times over the last three months and I've been waiting to catch the movie. It looks REALLY good to me, haunting, and I'm not a sound designer but I felt it was adequate enough for my tastes.

Of course, again, I'm not a sound designer. I am an image junkie, and I saw some unappealing shots in the trailer so I can imagine how AudioPost feels. xD

Still, I want to catch it.

What I'm saying, AudioPost, is that I don't think it's fair to judge a movie entirely based on ONE aspect. For me, the trailer for Take Shelter works tremendously well. First time I saw that trailer, I went out and watched the movie the very same week.

I don't judge by one aspect, I judge by two; the visuals and the sound, and how they work together to tell a story. There are many elements which go to make up the visuals, like there are many elements which go to make up the sound (music, dialogue, foley, sound design, ambience, hard effects, etc., etc.). Most of the visual elements in the trailer are decent or good for the budget, whereas the sound ranges from barely mediocre to dreadful because it's almost completely devoid of any artistic merit.

Yes, sound design is incredibly important. So is music. And cinematography. And writing, and acting, and editing, and set design, and coloring, and I think you catch my drift. It is extremely rare for a movie to nail ALL possible aspects, artistically and technically. I don't think any film is necessarily made or broken by any ONE of these aspects.

I would have to disagree with this. Over the years, I've seen plenty of people walk out of the cinema and demand their money back because the sound was too loud or too quiet. I've never seen anyone demand their money back because the set design was too colourful or not colourful enough. So yes, a film can easily be destroyed by just ONE aspect, the sound alone.

I'm not talking about nailing sound, I'm talking about a basic level of competence which is frequently lacking in indi films and would not be tolerated in other areas of film making. The problem is that much of what is created with really good sound is invisible or rather, it's only perceived sub-consciously. Let me use Foley as an example: Many indi's just use library footsteps, some go to the next level and pay for some cheap foley so at least you get the sound of the right shoe on the right surface but all we have achieved so far is just a basic level of technical competence. There's a whole other layer of artistic skill which you virtually never hear in indi's. A really good Foley Artist will design a gait or walk specifically for the personality of each character. The audience and even the majority of directors, producers and editors will never be consciously aware of this foley artistry but it turns out that humans are incredibly sensitive to the timbre and timing of footsteps and can tell a great deal about a person (film character) from their walk. Most people don't consciously analyse the sound of other people's walk, it's just information which is automatically added to all the other sensory information which is used by the brain to build a perception of the person. Remove this information (or fail to include it) and it feels wrong, destroys the suspension of disbelief that the film maker has spent so much time, effort and money trying to achieve with the visuals. This is just one example from one specific area of audio post, there are countless other examples across all the sound disciplines. I guarantee you, behind every famous villain or character in modern film there is some high quality sound! The very fact that so much of what is done in audio post is only perceived subconsciously is what makes it such a powerful tool. But it also means most film makers are just as unaware as the audience of the true power and possibilities of sound. This is why, IMO so many film makers say they appreciate the importance of good sound design but their actions demonstrate that except for blatantly obvious sound effects, intelligible dialogue and right sounding bit of music, they've really no idea what good sound design actually is or how it can be used to enhance the story and therefore grossly underestimate it's importance. Let me give you a few names of directors who are especially well respected in the audio post community for their use of the full potential of sound: Leone, Speilberg, Tarantino, Cameron, Scorsese, Hitchcock, Coppola, Kubrick (and others). Any of these names sound familiar to anyone? If so, do you think it's just a coincidence that those directors who place the most importance on sound are pretty much the same directors most respected by the public and the film community?

Going back to the trailer, you say it works "tremendously well". IMHO, you are only saying this because you are not aware of the full potential of good sound and what a difference it would make. If I played you the same trailer with good sound first and then the trailer as it is now, I guarantee you would say the current trailer is unacceptable garbage!

Going back further, to the OP, by far the biggest difference between low budget indi films and higher budget commercial films is in the quality of the sound disciplines. Notice that I didn't use the phrase "the most blatantly obvious difference" because it's apparent that to most indi film makers it's not "obvious" because it's designed specifically to not be obvious! As I said before, I blame the film schools for not giving aspiring film makers at least a basic understanding of the potential of sound.

G

Last edited:
Well, even if you're right, it kinda doesn't matter: it's far cheaper to make a good looking movie with sub par audio than it is to make a bad looking movie with incredible audio.

That's why they're no-budgeters, because they do not have the budget for it.

Well, even if you're right, it kinda doesn't matter: it's far cheaper to make a good looking movie with sub par audio than it is to make a bad looking movie with incredible audio.

A bad looking movie with good audio is just as bad as a good looking movie with bad audio. It's not possible and no one expects a no budget film to both look and sound great! What I would expect is a good basic understanding that film is an audio / visual medium and to make the best attempt allowed by the budget to do justice to both. Remember the old adage, film without visuals is radio but film without sound is just surveillance! :)

What I see is usually far greater ignorance regarding the use of sound than the level of knowledge about the importance and use of the visuals. It's common to see films where people have spent $20,000 - $50,000 creating the visuals but have literally $0 - $500 budgeted for the sound. Usually any budget which is available is spent solving technical issues with the sound which could have been avoided in the first place! I'm not saying it should be a 50-50 split, I'm saying that a film maker needs to make a value judgement on how to use the budget to achieve the best quality product. In the vast majority of cases this doesn't currently happen because the film maker does not understand the possibilities of sound enough to make an informed value judgement. This is a major, if not the primary cause of why so many indi films feel so empty and lack pace.

I seen no reason with modern technology why a <$500,000 film can't be really good looking and have really good sound but this so rarely happens. Ignorance of sound, avoidable mistakes and false economies usually precludes it.

G

Last edited:
I seen no reason with modern technology why a <$500,000 film can't be really good looking and have really good sound but this so rarely happens. Ignorance of sound, avoidable mistakes and false economies usually precludes it.

G

<500K?

Don't you mean <50K?

I have a feeling that's the kind of feature film that Harmonica is talking about. At least that's what I'm talking about.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdGlCeDRmWTFCYXJRWjJ3SUphZDNzMGc#gid=0

cell Q59

$5,000,000 production budget.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=takeshelter.htm

If you liked Take Shelter, then also try:
- Martha Marcy May Marlene
- Meek's Cutoff
- The Ledge
- The Music Never Stopped

But if you want something good, indie-wise, try:
- The Guard
- Margin Call
- Win Win

GL! ;)

FWIW, I wasn't that impressed with Take Shelter. Complete snore-fest. :coffee:

Last edited:
You can say whatever you want, but a movie with a budget higher than 1.000.000 will NEVER be considered indie for me. It may be "independent" from the big movie studios, but it's not an alternative way of filmmaking to spent so much money and ride the indie wave so that your crap wins awards at Sundance.

<500K?

Don't you mean <50K?

I have a feeling that's the kind of feature film that Harmonica is talking about. At least that's what I'm talking about.

I think with a <$50k film you are going to have to make some compromises on both the visuals and the sound. But what I'm saying has implications for films of virtually any budget. I've seen films with >$50m (yes, greater than!) budget with poor sound. I'm talking more about an understanding of how sound should be used. If a film has a tiny budget, really good sound is an impossibility but I still expect a film maker to attempt to use sound artistically, same as I would with the visuals. It's those films which had a reasonable budget but allocated it with little regard to sound, through ignorance, which are really annoying. Into this category falls a shockingly high percentage of films.

Have a read of this document if you're interested in what goes wrong with sound on high budget films.

While I'm at it, every film maker should be forced to sit and read this document before they're allowed anywhere near a script!

G

Over the years, I've seen plenty of people walk out of the cinema and demand their money back because the sound was too loud or too quiet.

Were they eighty years old? On average, I'm at the cinema more than once per week, and I've never witnessed anyone demanding a refund, not once, for any reason whatsoever. Watching an entire movie and then demanding a refund would be like eating every single bite of a three-course meal, and then complaining that the soup was cold, the steak overdone, and brownie sundae soggy. It's too late, you ate the whole thing!

But I digress.

I actually do know people who will recommend movies based on costumes, set designs and coloring. Have you seen Tarsem Singh's latest movie? The SFX are pretty sweet, too.

I have enjoyed movies that both looked AND sounded like crap, but were populated by loveable, engaging characters. I'm guessing you're not a huge fan of mumblecore.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling neither White Goodman nor Mugato has perfectly unique footsteps with their own gait and timbre. And yet they remain two of my favorite villains.

Look, I CAN'T WAIT until the day in which I'll have enough of a budget to hire someone like you. And, it just so happens to be the case that audio is taking a VERY high priority on my next feature (I appreciate those two links you posted).

I just think it's a little over simplistic to break down and judge movies the way that you do, and I don't think general audiences are anywhere near as finicky as you. Case in point, see below...

Going back to the trailer, you say it works "tremendously well". IMHO, you are only saying this because you are not aware of the full potential of good sound and what a difference it would make.

No, I'm saying it worked tremendously because it made me want to see the movie. And then I did go see the movie. Heck, I even had to travel an extra half hour to go to my cities lone art house theater. So the trailer literally worked. And I liked the movie (save for the infuriating ending).

My point? I'd bet dollars to donuts that there are plenty of movies on my yearly top-20 list that don't stand up to your muster. A movie doesn't have to be perfect, in every way, in order for me to enjoy it, and I think general audiences are the same.

As a filmmaker, I want my movie to be perfect, but I also have severe budgetary limitations, and difficult decisions have to be made.

Back