Is being a Production Assistant a bad job?

I replied to an ad on craigslist about being a volunteer production assistant for a music video shoot in a couple days. He responded to me and he said I would work with the Art Director and assist him. What kind of jobs do you think I will be doing, and do you think it's worth it? I'm not a big fan of Creed but I do have some of their songs on my iPod and I think they're cool. I just want to do this because I havent done anything since I graduated film school, and I need some experience and I dont have anything on my resume.

Last edited:
When you're starting out you take anything that comes along and you throw your heart into it. When you're a working professional you take on lots of gigs that aren't always to your liking. It's your job!!!

When I was a music engineer I did lots of Rap and Hip-Hop; definitely not my cup of tea, but I had regular clients because I gave them everything that I had. And you would not believe the bad films and terrible singer/songwriters that come into my studio, but they also get my best efforts. That's what I get paid to do, and I learn something with every session; and every day you learn something isn't a total loss.

Being a Production Assistant is what you make of it. Yes, you will potentially be doing menial tasks. But, it is essentially your start in the industry. If you throw yourself into it and do the best you can at whatever you're asked to do, you'll be asked back on the next one and eventually you'll start to not only be getting paid film work, but also move up the ranks.

If you think the work is below you, then I'd suggest not going at all, rather than going and complaining or doing a half-assed job.

But then, if you think the work is beneath you, then film may not be for you - it can take a Camera Assistant 10 years to work up to being a DP, and then it can take a DP many more years to go from making low budget indies to making high budget Hollywood films.
It just depends on whether you think it's worth it - and whether you would rather be being paid as a film worker, even if it's not your ideal position yet or work a day job doing something else and have film as your side hobby, where you'll at least get to Direct or DP or whatever...

I worked on a short about nine years ago while I was still learning my craft. We had a PA (Arri) who was doing his first gig. He worked his freaking tail off, he was smart, he did what was asked, asked smart questions when he didn't understand, and kept his mouth otherwise unless asked.

The DP (Tom) absolutely loved him. On day three he was pulling focus and helping me with sound.

A few weeks after the shoot Tom, who does commercial video work (corporate, weddings, commercials, etc.) needed a PA for a day; guess who he called? Guess who became Toms right hand man for over a year?

A couple of years later I was walking around Washington Square Park where a film shoot was going on, a little film called "I Am Legend." Guess who was working with the camera crew?

You never know who you will meet or where it will lead you. Work Hard!!! Have Fun!!! Network!!! LEARN!!!

It's absolute truth in this industry that WHO you know trumps WHAT you know at least 90% of the time.

Working as a PA can be boring, tiresome, and stressful.. but it can also be a blast. Either way at the end of the day you're working on a set with people who are actively working in the industry. It's a toe in the door, and if you do a great job people will remember you.

Get out there and work your butt off, have fun, and make sure everyone knows who you are so that the next time they're working they will think of you. Eventually when you've got a project you can call in favors, and/or will already have a network of people to contact.

Networking is essential to survival in the film industry, and working as a PA is a great way to do it.

I would say it would definitely be worth it, especially because you'll be working within a department and getting to observe and learn interesting stuff; art direction is something a lot of indie/low-budget filmmakers overlook. The only time I'd say PA work isn't worth it is if you're just doing super menial tasks for no pay for someone who isn't established or has no reputation. Even then, it can be worth it, but like one of my film professors says, it's probably better to use the time you'd spend getting coffee to shoot your own projects. Still, I would get coffee or lock down sets or whatever for no pay when it's someone with a reputation, like a music video for an established band.

I have been working on a feature film for the last month with a couple big name actors as a production intern which has basically turned into a volunteer PA position. I have been busting my ass over the last few weeks but that work has paid off 100 fold. I have rotated through a few different departments and have learned a huge amount. The best part is I have already been told I would be hired again in a heartbeat by a few of the department heads. I also ended up in 2 scenes in the movie because I busted my hump and was noticed by the 1st AD. He turned to me and said that he needed someone in these 2 scenes and wanted to know if I was interested. Long story short, do it and give it 110% like everyone else has said. Everyone i have talked to on set has told me it is definitely who you know in the business that helps a career go somewhere. Good luck.

The job won't be too much fun as people have mentioned but that is not why you're there. You're there to watch and learn, get experience and network.

Watching and learn will teach you much fast than reading books, blogs, forums etc.

Do you guys think I should be dancing while the song is playing to get noticed by the band?

I think you'll just get laughed at, probably. And I doubt the band will notice a production assistant based on his dancing talent as opposed to.....well, literally anything else you do.

As everyone has said, it's a foot in the door. A job is a job, and even unpaid PA work is better than none. You'll get to see how music video shoots (and by extension, all filmed media in general) works, as well as get used to the workload and the flow of things. The first job I ever took in the film industry was an extra in two crowd scenes for Renee. Trust me when I say that being one in a crowd of thousands is a much lesser position in all respects than a PA; unless you have some kind of extraordinary look or talent that can be immediately recognized or they happen to put you right by the actors and in focus, you're likely nothing but space filler. At least as a PA you get to be in the thick of it and potentially helping with important tasks; it's not all fetching coffee and passing out clipboards.

On at least one TV production, in fact, the PAs were treated as just as much a part of the crew as the Director of Photography and boom operator. They made lasting connections with the cast and crew, even the extras, and likely guaranteed themselves extra work. Depending on how you play your cards, taking a job as a PA can be your stepping stone to gradually improved positions. Not to mention that getting crew jobs is often WAY easier than getting acting jobs, so you're more likely to have plenty of work.

On the note of the job being "fun", it depends on the production. A big Hollywood thing will probably be a hectic experience with a lot of people doing a lot of tasks and you'll end up sticking with your immediate coworkers, but the aforementioned TV production had a very familial atmosphere where everyone knew everyone (it helped that almost the entire crew had worked on a film earlier in the year) and readily welcomed friendly, hard workers into the fold. I was a paid extra and not under contract for X number of days (meaning I only came in when they wanted me AND I wanted to come), but the atmosphere was good enough that I spent 16 or 17 days working and made over two dozen new friends and acquaintances all over the business. Because it was being filmed on the Universal Studios backlot, they even had a group outing to Halloween Horror Nights (I was a scareactor this year, so they got to see me several times as well). If you can get on a production like that, you're set.

But never, ever consider any job in the film industry to be a "bad job." There's bad jobs to take, certainly, but there is no single career that is worse or less important than any other. Filmmaking in all scenarios is a team effort, and going into a job actively viewing yourself as the bottom rung or thinking that you're nothing but a nameless gofer is no way to start a career.

Last edited:
Being a PA is one of those jobs that some people think it is bottom of the barrel noob job...it really isnt as long as you play it right...

recently I went in as a PA for a pilot, when I contacted the producers I made no mention of my background in being a DP and when I arrived on set I got to work right away setting up chairs, helping with crafty, doing store runs and when I could I would help out all the other departments. I brought my own camera gear and saw they needed a monitor so I supplied it, there was a technical issue they had and I helped them out....long story short, end of the day I got paid double and was approached by the producers that they want me back and asked if I do anything else and asked for my reel. You never know who you will meet being a PA and you never know what opportunities may arise.

Keep in mind though, for every great story there are a few horror stories...

^

That's what I expect most PAs to be like. Future industry professionls who are paying their dues. I saw another thread of these directors who I guess have made it. They laughed at PAs. I was thinking - These people are here too help you, why would you say that? Maybe it's your fault for assigning them to that role if it's really hurting the shoot. I'm sure there were a few shoots where the PA knows more or even had more experience at directing or cinematography than the director or DP. Sometimes, for some reason or another, they have to take on the role of PA. I just see being a PA as paying your due early in your career.

^

That's what I expect most PAs to be like. Future industry professionls who are paying their dues. I saw another thread of these directors who I guess have made it. They laughed at PAs. I was thinking - These people are here too help you, why would you say that? Maybe it's your fault for assigning them to that role if it's really hurting the shoot. I'm sure there were a few shoots where the PA knows more or even had more experience at directing or cinematography than the director or DP. Sometimes, for some reason or another, they have to take on the role of PA. I just see being a PA as paying your due early in your career.

exactly...in addition it is a way to network with people...my background consists of producing two feature films (money and creative), DPing, Directing, cam op...I have done everything and especially if I have nothing to do on a certain day I'd rather be making less money and be on set than be sitting on my ass...

Back