Is 35 too old to be a first time director?

Especially when making horror films? I spent the last 15 years of my life trying to make it as a screenwriter. Had a couple optioned but nothing made. All this time people who have read my scripts would tell me They have such personal traits that I should direct them myself. I never really put much thought into age until now when I am putting together my first film and when interviewing people for my crew positions, a lot either turn me down when hearing my age or they say they'll think about it but I never hear from them again.

Am I just in the wrong circles or should I give up?

I am putting together my first film and when interviewing people for my crew positions, a lot either turn me down when hearing my age or they say they'll think about it but I never hear from them again.
I suspect this has more to do with; a) how much you are paying and
b) the total time commitment.

I may be wrong. I don't know you or anything about your project but
I do know crews in Los Angeles. If you are paying a decent day rate
no one cares how old you are. No one - people want work. If you are
asking people to work for free or for a very, very low rate no one cares
how old you are. No one - people can't commit to projects that don't
pay.

Now there are many people who will work for free or very low pay and
I don't believe for a second that those people - who are looking to gain
experience - care how old you are either.

So I can't come up with a single scenario where you age would come
into the decision. Crew members will make their decisions on many things
but the age of the writer/director isn't one of them. Yet you say a lot are
turning you down for this reason and I believe you. My experience with
crews are very, very different than yours. I'm curious; how many people
you have interviewed? How many of those turned you down because of
your age?

I remember when I first made my first film. Wait that was 2 months ago. And wait, I'm only 18. Haha but no, age doesn't matter man. As long as you have the drive and vision to go for it, then go ahead! No one's stopping you! Heck if I was a rich 70 year old dude and filmmaking interested me, I'd do it! Plus, you already have some experience with writing scripts! All you have to do is bring those words onto the screen! Filmmaking isn't a new territory for you I would suppose.

How did you know they turned you down because of your age? Did they tell you? If that's the case then that wouldn't make sense because people would normally turn down young directors like me! But seriously though, if they turned you down, it's not the end of the world. It's their loss. When someone says no to you, you can't just quit. Take for example Charlie Chaplin. No one ever believed in his ideas! Hollywood executives are rejecting him because they thought that his movies won't sell. Did he give up? Hell no (Samuel Jackson voice). Did Steven Spielberg give up when film schools rejected him? Hell no (Samuel Jackson voice)!There are literally tons of people wanting to work on a film. Keep looking. Keep striving. :D

Go get 'em cowboy!

There could be a plethora of other reasons, but being your age is more of an advantage than a hindrance. While kiddies think they know it all, very few are naturally able deliver a great story that resonates with audiences.

So what people are saying, talent does count. Life experience also counts.

When you're young problem solving, especially the personality conflict kind, you're going to be at a huge advantage.

My suggestion, go out there and make something. People want to be a part of success. Make something successful and the people will follow.

Life made no sense before I was 35 anyway. Some of us come into ourselves later than others. It's sometimes difficult to remember that, but being in your 30s isn't that old in the grand scheme. And in the case of Directing, having more life experience can make one a better storyteller.

Amen.

Joegillis: I'm 32 and started film school this year. I didn't even consider getting into filmmaking until I was thirty. Before that I felt sorta lost. I think you're in a very good position actually, with the experience you have writing scripts good enough to be optioned! You know about story, presumably you know it very well, which is a very enviable skill to have. So, the way I see it, you're in a better position that a lot of the people in this thread were when they were 35 (from what I've read).

I'm not gonna lie, I worry a bit about my age sometimes too, especially since 95% of the people at my Uni are 17-21 year old hipsters with that 'tude and see my as a "old man". Lots of them say stuff like, "I've been wanting to make films since I was 5 years old", or, "I came out of the womb with a script in one hand and a camera in the other, I filmed my own birth from the inside out, so arty", and I didn't do any of that, I kinda just realised it at 30. But the way I see it, just them saying that they want something, or have wanted something since they were 5 doesn't make them good at it. Robert Rodriguez wanted to make movies since a very very young age too, but the difference is he did it, A LOT.

I'll probably be 35 before I start my first feature (I want lots of experience on shorts first), I wish I had the experience you did in telling stories!

Back