Introduction, and advice?

Hello,

It's been two years since I decided to quit school as a Graphic Designer and persue film... problem... I have yet to persue film, per say. I am a soldier in the CF Army Reserve, I am also currently Deployed. I own three cameras (Sanyo camcorder, an HV40, and most recently an XL1s, which is waiting for me at home)

When I get back I will hopefully be attending one of Ontario's Colleges for film in the 2011 Fall semester, perferably Confederation in Thunder Bay.

I'm a visual person and a creative individual (reasons for persuing GD) but I feel that I need to tell stories. Be they fact or fiction, real or acted. Being deployed has put some perspective on some issues that I have, for instance I am now interested in the idea of becoming a Videographer, get embeded with people and film what they see. I realize that it is difficult to get into that field however that is one of my possible goals.

I also know that the industry is a large portion of, who you know, not, what you know.

I am your quintessential newbie to this industry, I have written a few shorts, but I lack the knowledge or the resources to get them produced. What I am looking for is advice on how I should start, who I should talk to, and what door should I would through.

Regards,

~Thanato

You should start by making short films. You should
talk to fellow filmmakers, You should go through any
door you can open. You get to know people by making
movies and by working in the industry.

Everyone lacks the knowledge and the resources to get
their script produced. So you do what everyone has done
in the past; you gain the knowledge and build the resources.
Your first few short films might be pretty bad, they might
even be unwatchable and horrible. Most of your fellow
filmmakers made some pretty bad movies as they gained
knowledge - most of the famous directors made some pretty
bad movies as they gained knowledge. That might be the
path you need to follow.

So keep writing and when you get home enjoy your friends
and family for a few weeks and then get to making your first
short movie.

When I get home for leave halfway through my mission in over a month I plan on shooting alot with my XL1s to understand it and to use it. I also plan on getting a tri-pod for it from Henrys (the place I bought the camera from... though it was online). Also perhaps at the same time I'll get some other basics such as a boom mic and boom... lol

If someone could give me some great advice on what is great starting gear to make really indie shorts, it would help out alot.

Regards,

~Thanato

The minimum equipment I would suggest having on hand is:
a tripod
6 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap and gels
2 bounce boards
a good external mic
a boom with extension cables
gaffers tape
a bunch of C-47’s - also called “bullets” or wood cloths pins
a coffee maker
a slate with marker

If you can afford it - these items you can rent:
a dolly (wheelchair or doorway)
a simple grip kit with:
c-stands (at least 6)
flags (assorted sizes - at least 8)
scrims (at least 6)
silks (at least 2)
cookies (at least 1)
sandbags (one for every light/c-stand and then 6 more)

Back