Interstellar - Official Trailer

Dismal? Not really, when it's common to see the top box office populated with films that get 20-30%.

I guess it might be if you were expecting it to be the greatest sci-fi film of all time. In fact, I'd guess that's a factor here - the film has quite a bit of hype, and high expectations, so the scores probably reflect the fact that some of those expectations aren't met. Personally I've tried to avoid reading/watching much about the film because I'd rather go in cold without a lot of expectations rather than build it up to a level it (or any film for that matter) is not likely to meet.

Which makes me wonder... could you imagine if they did a film like Interstellar with no promotion at all? One day it just shows up in theaters and starts blowing people's minds because they had absolutely no idea what to expect going in.

The Nolan hype train is already putting the movie on a high level. I personally really enjoyed the film even if I did roll my eyes a few time. Also please go see it on IMAX 70mm, I probably enjoyed it a lot more because of it

:P Yeah. Sorry to contribute to the hype, but...it's pretty darn great. :)

No, maybe it's not the greatest sci-fi of all times. But it's really good. I have to give it some time to digest and to sit for a bit to see how it holds up. I'm sure that takes years. But gosh, it's probably got to be up there among the best.

It's what cinema is all about. At least an aspect of it. I agree, Baba, I think there may be some plot holes and some conveniently ambiguous explanations, or perhaps more like a convenient lack of explanations.

So I did a quick Google of plot hole, and this is what Wikipedia says:

A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

Paradox is exactly the word I was thinking of for some things. Anyway, really par for the course with movies like this, right? Especially sci-fi. So if there are plot holes, no big, in my opinion.

Knowing that Nolan likes to shoot at least some of his films in IMAX, I did choose to go out of my way to see it on the local IMAX, which isn't generally my favorite screen. But, if that's how he wants it made and seen, then maybe that's how we should see it, if we can. I noticed the aspect ration change at times, so I take it he didn't shoot this one entirely that way, as well. Or, what does that mean? Anyway, while I can't compare it to another screen, not having seen it on another one yet, it was a great movie going experience.

And the sound in the IMAX is always so big. In this case, that was very appropriate.

Speaking of which, the score is just...great! Glorious, even. Hell, go to hear the score in a good theater with a good sound system, if nothing else. Probably worth the price of admission right there. That's one I think I'll probably have to buy. Ug, there are times when the score is too loud for the dialogue. But I don't know if I'd want to turn it down, if it had been up to me. It seems a film about interstellar travel calls for such a powerful score.

Put it this way, I was sitting there at times slightly annoyed that I could barely hear what they were saying for the volume of the score. But then I also realized that I really wouldn't want them to turn it down (remix it, or whatever), either. I'd probably be like, oh, no no, turn it back up. Yeah, that's it. =P

So a big thumb up for me. Definitely an easy recommend.

Saw Interstellar yesterday - have to say I found it very disappointing. Was really looking forward to it and yet I felt it was just flat across all the boards.

The characters were all frustratingly cliched. The big action sequence towards the end it just felt to me that they'd lost grip of where the story was. It did touch on some interesting Space Travel/Science aspects but the general levels of sentimentality and absence of any coherent logic throughout gnawed at me.

The all star cast was a distraction, hard not to laugh out loud when *A List Actor* turns up halfway through. Even the score and VFX felt predictable and well worn.

Meh! I'm sure many will enjoy it, and it probably deserves another watch... But this was a bit of a duff one. 6.5/10

I liked Interstellar, but I agree with ShockingMind that
The characters were all frustratingly cliched.
The overall story was wonderful, but some bits of dialogue and the characters brought it down. Still a great movie, and it's always nice to see big budget blockbusters that spend CG money on something other than massive battles.

Honestly though it didn't seem like the best IMAX movie. I saw it in normal theater, but there weren't really as many huge, epic scenes as I would have imagined. Lots of closeups and dialogue, especially in the first half, that I don't know if I would have wanted to see on a bigger screen. I definitely wish I'd seen it in a theater with better sound though (or maybe just fewer noisy people!), the louder scenes didn't sound right to me.

No, maybe it's not the greatest sci-fi of all times. But it's really good.

I pretty much agree. But, while it was good, it was definitely "draggy." My biggest disappointment was that we didn't spend significant time on a world that wasn't shown in the trailer! For me, there wasn't a wonderous, mind-blowing discovery or reveal, but the central plot device is something really fantastic. If you've seen the later trailers, you've seen a good portion of the movie and that's not the fault of the trailers, so much as the movie didn't have a lot to reveal.

In a lot of ways, this is like INCEPTION; it has some big ideas, but does not satisfactorily explore them. It's almost like this fantastic journey is a red herring setpiece to get us to experience an aspect of a father/daughter relationship. While it is touching, I wanted more of the original journey.

I loved the robots and
I loved entering the sphere wormhole.
I was kind of waiting for the "spice" from Dune to show up, as that can fold space.

Ug, there are times when the score is too loud for the dialogue. But I don't know if I'd want to turn it down, if it had been up to me. It seems a film about interstellar travel calls for such a powerful score.

Nolan also amped up the music (famously), for INCEPTION. I Got excited when I heard you mention that INTERSTELLAR'S score was very good, but it hasn't grabbed me, yet. Kind of like a MISSION TO MARS big organ swell that keeps happening. I actually wanted to hear the dialogue, this time.

The all star cast was a distraction, hard not to laugh out loud when *A List Actor* turns up halfway through.

Ha ha ha! I thought that was a cool surprise! Anyway, the pace of the movie is slow, so I appreciated all the star power distraction I could get. I watch a lot of sci-fi, so slow doesn't kill it for me, but the lack of plot happenings keep this from being great. Many parts are glorious to behold, so it's worth the ticket.
As far as time travel stories, this one has a "bigger chicken or the egg" question than most.

Last edited:
Back