Intern Asking for Help

Hi all,

I currently have an internship at a small production/distribution company, but my office is surrounded by a lot of successful television show production offices. My main career goal includes writing for television and one of my employers strongly encouraged me to go and talk to some of the people that work at these places (start at the production offices) while I have this internship. I know when I talk to them they're not going to offer me a job or internship, but I would like to just be immersed in that successful creative culture. My question is simply, what do I say when I talk to these people? Can I ask to do volunteer work? Is that a good idea? Let me know what you would do, or what I should do. Thanks!

Hang out with these people if you can; a quick questioning isn't enough. Eat lunch with them, or hit their favorite after work watering hole, or whatever. It is absolutely amazing what you pick up by osmosis. Be an attentive listener, and ask smart questions.

I would suggest against an intern asking if they can help
a professional. Asking for advice is good, getting to know
the staff is even better. Offering to help a pro seems a bit
arrogant. An intern on Show One cannot work for anyone
on Show Two.

I would suggest against an intern asking if they can help
a professional. Asking for advice is good, getting to know
the staff is even better. Offering to help a pro seems a bit
arrogant. An intern on Show One cannot work for anyone
on Show Two.

Good point. Sorry OP, ignore my previous post.

Thanks for the replies - I understand. Now is it a good/bad idea to ask to do menial, free work (scanning papers, delivering mail, etc.) for them? The reason why I wouldn't mind doing this free labor is because, like Alcove said, I can learn a lot from osmosis. Is that question still too arrogant to ask?

Thanks for the replies - I understand. Now is it a good/bad idea to ask to do menial, free work (scanning papers, delivering mail, etc.) for them? The reason why I wouldn't mind doing this free labor is because, like Alcove said, I can learn a lot from osmosis. Is that question still too arrogant to ask?

I don't know the answer to that but if it's going to piss off your current boss or their firm then don't do it.

I know what you mean, but I know it won't piss him off because he's the one that suggested that idea to me.

Cool. If an intern at my company asked me for advice, I would give it. If an intern from another company asked me for advice (say they came up to me in the car park), I may agree to meet them over coffee in a few days and provide some advice, or if they caught me on a bad day I'd say 'sorry no, I'm too busy'.

So work on a good 'approach'. Not forced, not overly meek either - confident without being pushy or arrogant would work with me. But understand that 60%+ will probably say no straight off. Don't take the rejection personally.

I'd have a card printed too. If they're busy, they can quickly grab it and hopefully email or call you back.

I'd probably hit 10 or so people with that approach. Personally I don't think you have to offer free services in order to get that advice.

Just my opinion...

As a side-point, since your goal is TV writing, read as many pro TV scripts as you can.

And spend a day or 2 on these sites. They're screenplay (not TV orientated) but 99% of their advice is equally applicable to TV as it is screenplays:

http://reelauthors.com/
http://johnaugust.com/

Last edited:
Back