Integrity of your work

sfoster

Staff Member
I have been working on my short story now for a ridiculously long time.
I finally have all the locations, a polished script and a set of storyboards.

Now I have a friend of a friend that has offered to help me with this in whatever way I need. He has a bunch of professional equipment and does music videos, short stories and is working on his first feature.

I had the thought tonight, what if I asked him to come up with his own storyboard for the film. Then we got together, compared and took the best of whatever I liked.

What sort of credit do I need to give him to maintain the integrity of my work. Definitely a producer if he is providing me with equipment. Regarding storyboards, if it's only one or two suggestions of his, maybe a special thanks. If I love all of his storyboards more than mine I would feel like he deserves co-director credit at that point.

A part of me wants complete control, just to say it's mine and to have it representative of what I'm capable of. Another part of me wants to set aside hubris, and take all input I can get to create the best possible film.

I have been working on my short story now for a ridiculously long time.
I finally have all the locations, a polished script and a set of storyboards.

Now I have a friend of a friend that has offered to help me with this in whatever way I need. He has a bunch of professional equipment and does music videos, short stories and is working on his first feature.

I had the thought tonight, what if I asked him to come up with his own storyboard for the film. Then we got together, compared and took the best of whatever I liked.

What sort of credit do I need to give him to maintain the integrity of my work. Definitely a producer if he is providing me with equipment. Regarding storyboards, if it's only one or two suggestions of his, maybe a special thanks. If I love all of his storyboards more than mine I would feel like he deserves co-director credit at that point.

A part of me wants complete control, just to say it's mine and to have it representative of what I'm capable of. Another part of me wants to set aside hubris, and take all input I can get to create the best possible film.

You would credit him as a producer, storyboard artist, and you could give him a special thanks as well.
Also, is he going to be your DP? It's his equipment, and he probably knows how to use it best...

Also, don't try to do everything. It's bad to spread yourself too thin.

Good luck! :cool:

Set aside your pride. As chimpy said, credit him as a producer, storyboard artist, and give him a special thanks or other credit he may earn such as DP.

Film is a collaberative media. If people who know what they are doing are willing to help, thank them profusely and accept their assistance. Getting others to work on your project is actually a bigger acomplishment than goign ti solo and makes your project look more professional than only having your name in the credits.

I was thinking he would hold the boompole for me, maybe I'll reevaluate haha

thanks guys!

Ever thought of asking him what credit he wants?

I'm more concerned about my own integrity as a filmmaker than what credit he wants to have. For example, if he wanted no credit at all I would feel like a liar trying to take complete credit all by myself.

Integrity based credits then, you'd give him the credit for the job that he mostly did. One thing you want to avoid is credits given for insignificant reasons.

For instance, I go and grab a lens for the camera once, I shouldn't get a AC credit. If I do the AD work for a significant part of the production, then yes.

Sounds like he could be put down as storyboard artist, concept artist too.

For the gear loan out, there isn't really a part of the credits that it usually has. A special thanks, maybe associate producer or executive producer. That kind of input really comes down to their and your preference. Just for the love of god, don't call it a straight up Producer. That just might be my pet peeve.

Back