Indoor Filming Microphones

Hey everyone been a long time since I've visited but I'm back to filming again and need some advice on Microphones to be used when shooting indoors. I've been looking through the forums and there doesn't seem to be any clear answer.

Most of my experiences with audio have been outdoors (I have a 416 with the Rode Blimp). I have no problems with that but indoors is another problem... Normally I ADR all of my indoor scenes and that is becoming more of a pain than I want it to be. I have been told hypercardioid mics are the best for indoor shooting.

This is my problem, I want to hear the sound quality before I buy a product. More so, I want to hear how it sounds as if it were being used to shoot for a film. I have searched youtube and the internet for some examples but I can't find any good examples. Most reviews are of the microphones in a large room that has a lot of echo. Furthermore most of the mics that I have seen that are hypercardioid only sound good when the subject is 5in away from it.

I don't want to go with Lav mics because usually there are 2-4 people in an indoor scene and I don't have 5-10k to spend on a wireless set up. I live in Spokane and there are no places that I can rent from to test mics or even rent a wireless lav set up. I am pretty good with a boom pole so I'm looking at expanding my mic kit.

So my question is are there any mics you guys would recommend for shooting indoors that are around $1000? On top of that are there any examples of these mics as if they were in an actual shoot? If anyone has a mic that works can they provide an example?

Thanks in advance!

There are a number of decent mics in various price ranges. The Schoeps CMC6 is widely used by professionals, about $2,000. The Audio Technica AT4053b is a popular mid-priced hyper, around $500. The SE Electronics SE1 is a common ultra-micro budget alternative ($150).

But getting a hypercardioid mic is not a cure-all; it will sound less roomy than a shotgun, but you will still have that roomy sound. You still have to prep the location - you put down carpeting and hang sound blankets and do anything else that you can to mitigate sound reflections.

A great boom-op makes all the difference indoors and out; their ability to keep the mic focused on the talent is key to reducing that roomy tone. It is also made better by folks like myself who do the dialog editing; we routinely use the dialog from the close-ups to replace the dialog in 2-shots and establishing shots.

There are a number of decent mics in various price ranges. The Schoeps CMC6 is widely used by professionals, about $2,000. The Audio Technica AT4053b is a popular mid-priced hyper, around $500. The SE Electronics SE1 is a common ultra-micro budget alternative ($150).

But getting a hypercardioid mic is not a cure-all; it will sound less roomy than a shotgun, but you will still have that roomy sound. You still have to prep the location - you put down carpeting and hang sound blankets and do anything else that you can to mitigate sound reflections.

A great boom-op makes all the difference indoors and out; their ability to keep the mic focused on the talent is key to reducing that roomy tone. It is also made better by folks like myself who do the dialog editing; we routinely use the dialog from the close-ups to replace the dialog in 2-shots and establishing shots.

Thanks! I'll probably try the SE to practice with and upgrade to the Audio Technica if I get it down. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Schoeps at some point, I love the sound from that mic!!

Back